Enough Cushion for Departure?

DRWhit

For our upcoming cruise, we waned to explore flying out the same day as the cruise was departing. So we asked HAL to give us an air option. What they came back with was OK on pricing, and got us into FLL at 2:30pm. The website shows the ship departing at 5pm.

At first, I thought that should be plenty of time, from 2:30 to 5pm and the airport is close to the pier, and so I said, "OK, I 'll take it."

But now I am thinking its too close, even if HAL is providing the air. I think we have to be on the ship by 4pm, which cuts our margin down to 1 and 1/2 hour prior to scheduled landing.

What do you think? Is that enough time? :confused:

You could make it, but that would be way too close for my nerves!
That's exactly what I am afraid of. We'd be too nervous heading in to the trip, and that would take some of the enjoyment out it.

How much time do people who fly in the same day usually feel comfortable with?

For our upcoming cruise, we waned to explore flying out the same day as the cruise was departing. So we asked HAL to give us an air option. What they came back with was OK on pricing, and got us into FLL at 2:30pm. The website shows the ship departing at 5pm.

At first, I thought that should be plenty of time, from 2:30 to 5pm and the airport is close to the pier, and so I said, "OK, I 'll take it."

But now I am thinking its too close, even if HAL is providing the air. I think we have to be on the ship by 4pm, which cuts our margin down to 1 and 1/2 hour prior to scheduled landing.

That's an insane schedule for a cruise line to give you, and gives you zero margin. You have to be checked in 1 1/2 hours for your cruise - that means 3:30. If your flight goes off perfectly, you're at the gate at 2:30 - debarkation time & claiming luggage puts you ready to go to the port at 3pm at the earliest. Yes, it's only 10 minutes to the port, but you're only one 5-car pileup away from missing your cruise.

I would never myself take Cruise Air, but if you want to keep your HAL air I would insist they give you a schedule that won't induce a heart attack...:eek:

FLL is much closer to the port than Miami is - only 2 or 3 miles. Your worry shouldn't be getting to the port - as long as your flight gets in the air when it is supposed to - and you get your luggage, and not have to deal with filing a claim. I'm sure the list can go on and on for the things that can go wrong... We are looking at flights, and we can land at 10:49, but there are 2 more flights that we could get, and land before 3pm. I would prefer to go a day earlier, but it's not coming together that way....

Whew! I would never do that....too nervouse about the MANY MANY airline delays these days.

For my upcoming Grand Voyage I am leaving home 5 days prior to the cruise! I know that is overkill BUT I have friends to stay with and I just don't trust the airlines to get me there in time considering holiday crowds and potential mid-winter delays. At least I can relax and know I will be to the ship in time....PLENTY of time!

I wouldn't try anything that was scheduled to land after 1:00p, especially in March when winter storms can easily mess up airports all over the country.

Whew! I would never do that....too nervouse about the MANY MANY airline delays these days.

For my upcoming Grand Voyage I am leaving home 5 days prior to the cruise! I know that is overkill BUT I have friends to stay with and I just don't trust the airlines to get me there in time considering holiday crowds and potential mid-winter delays. At least I can relax and know I will be to the ship in time....PLENTY of time!

You may be getting there earlier, but its a much bigger cruise! PS Are you going to blog this one? I enjoyed reading your blog of your trip through the South Pacific.

I just don't feel comfortable flying out the day of, period. There's just too many ways the airlines can screw up your trip... :rolleyes:

What airport are you flying out of?

We are looking at flights, and we can land at 10:49, but there are 2 more flights that we could get, and land before 3pm. I would prefer to go a day earlier, but it's not coming together that way....

The question you have to ask is, will there be room on those flights? Airlines have cut capacity enormously in the last couple of years, and most flights these days go out pretty full. You may be able to get on one of those flights, but you can't count on it...

I just don't feel comfortable flying out the day of, period. There's just too many ways the airlines can screw up your trip... :rolleyes:

What airport are you flying out of?.

We are flying out of Tulsa Oklahoma, through Dallas to FLL. There is a good bit of traffic to Dallas, so I am not worried there. And we have some decent layover time scheduled in Dallas, so thats not a problem. Its just the arrival time of the flight from Dallas to FLL that concerns me. When I booked it, I didn't think about having to check in 1 1/2 hours prior to departure.

We are flying out of Tulsa Oklahoma, through Dallas to FLL. There is a good bit of traffic to Dallas, so I am not worried there. And we have some decent layover time scheduled in Dallas, so thats not a problem. Its just the arrival time of the flight from Dallas to FLL that concerns me. When I booked it, I didn't think about having to check in 1 1/2 hours prior to departure.

You also need to think about spring thunderstorms in Dallas. Our delays have run anywhere from 1 to 3 hours and even flying in a day before, I build in a 3 hour layover time if we have a connection.

I'd only consider flying in the same day as boarding the boat if the boat was spending the night in port. I recently did it that way for my 10/6 trip, but wouldn't consider it if the ship were leaving that day. We got to the ship by like 330 I think, but that would have made me insane with worry if it were the day we were leaving!

Try for the night before, if possible, and stay at a local hotel before the cruise. Cuts down the worry!

I too would be very nervous with this time frame. Living in Oklahoma you know the springtime weather. And Dallas can be a real problem in thunderstorms plus your plane may be coming in from the East where there could be late season snow storms.

We only fly in the day of the cruise (sometimes) with a LA or San Diego departure which is 90 minutes by air from Tucson. Even then I have contingency plans just in case.

Even though HAL is booking the air for you, it is unlikely they will hold the ship for you. I would hate to miss a wonderful Panama Canal cruise because of a late airplane. Hope you reconsider and fly in the day before.

Barbara

Yes, Thanks for the advice everyone. The search for better airfare is underway.

Even when we drive to the San Diego port, 2.5 hours away, we always go in the afternoon before. Just makes life a lot more pleasant & no worries in case any of the MANY "what if's" raise their ugly head. Add to that the various possible problems with multiple flights &......? Good luck with your revised flight plans & wishing you stress-free travels!:)

From my experience the cost of booking a flight with the cruise line is substantially higher than if you went directly with the airline

I think that if you investigate you can find a less expensive flight the DAY PRIOR to sailing

Get a reasonably priced hotel , many will give you transportation from the airport to the hotel, relax and leave yourself plenty of time to board on the day of departure

We wanted to explore flying out the same day as the cruise was departing.

What they came back with ... got us into FLL at 2:30pm. The website shows the ship departing at 5pm.

IMO - Flying in a day in advance is enough time.

Flying the same day of departure is a nightmare as it is - and at that late of an hour if there's any kind of weather or mechanical delay or even if the luggage is slow coming off, you could miss the boat entirely.

(I'm not certain they even allow checkin at the pier after 4pm - Does anyone else know?)

I wouldn't even contemplate flying in the same day as departure. There are WAY too many things that can and do snarl you up even if you arrive many hours before the ship is due to leave.

Fly in the night before, have a nice dinner and a comfortable, relaxing sleep in a hotel and make your way to the dock at your leisure the following day. Your cardiologist will thank you.

I agree. For a domestic departures, we always fly in a day early. We may arrive late in the evening, but we have a good "security blanket" i.e., if something goes dreadfully wrong with our flight, we can always get one the next morning. I know several people who fly in on the same day that they plan to cruise, but I'm too much of a coward to attempt that.

I agree. For a domestic departures, we always fly in a day early. We may arrive late in the evening, but we have a good "security blanket" i.e., if something goes dreadfully wrong with our flight, we can always get one the next morning. I know several people who fly in on the same day that they plan to cruise, but I'm too much of a coward to attempt that.

ITA -- I briefly considered flying the same day as our Alaska cruise was departing, but after a little thought, realized I needed to be at the port city the day before or I'd be crazed by the time I reached the ship. And the trip to that port city is only a 1 hr 20 min flight for me. Still couldn't bring myself to do it.

On our Baltic cruise this summer I took an earlier flight out of San Antonio to give us an extra long connection on the east coast in case of any problems. While in the air the captain came on and said "see that cloud to the right of the plane, it is right over the airport and we don't have enough fuel to circle any longer so we are diverting". Long story short is if we had taken the later flight we would have made the connection since once we diverted to the tiniest airport I had ever seen a jet land at we had to stay on the ground until all the jets in the air landed and we were cleared to go in. The later flight made it in before us! Just shows if it can go wrong it will - luckily we were going in 2 days early because I would have had a heart attack if we wern't!

Another thing to consider is: Where is the flight you are connecting to, in Dallas, coming from?

Phoenix was "holding" all departures for about 90 minutes a couple weeks back due to a series of thunderstorms passing through.:eek: If we had been leaving that day, OUR flight would have been late PLUS anyone else boarding at any interim stop would have been late as well. Add me to the list of those who fly the day before or sooner.:)

Archived