Anyone want to start a new weight loss group with me?

5326jan

Hi Everyone,

Did you know that if a person loses weight too fast they are more prone to gallstones? I read that yesterday in the WW magazine. So next time you're disappointed by a small loss, just think, "no gallstones this week!" Don't you feel comforted already? :p

The holiday treats have already started rolling in! Egads! I got the BEST cookies today. Even worse though, I'm invited to things where I'm expected to bring food. I'm going to a baby shower tomorrow where everyone is asked to bring a dessert. Aack!! I was going to make some really healthy oatmeal raisin cookies, but then a little girl at school brought me some cookie dough that I bought a few weeks back. So I made most of the cookie dough for the party tomorrow, but of course I had to eat one to make sure it was okay....in case you were wondering, it was yum!

TexasAnn--I had a friend who was working out a lot and hit a plateau. Her nutritionists told her that she needed to eat more calories every day or exercise less. Changing one or the other might help like you said. Has your trainer made any suggestion?

My weigh in isn't until Wednesday. Since it is my first week actually dieting, I am hoping for a big drop. Don't know why though, since I haven't changed that much. :rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone! Hope your efforts meet with success!

I would like to join this thread. We just got back from a cruise and I have put on several of the pounds that I lost for that cruise. We are cruising next December so I have time to set a nice goal. Luckily my husband and I do not celebrate holidays so I have no worries about holiday foods.

Now, time to get off cruise critic and get on that threadmill :).

Hi everyone. I would like to join here. I'm on 30 in 30 thread also. We cruise in 30 days so I don't have alot of time left. However, I have been working out and eating right. Only lost 6 pds. I am recovering from surgery I had in late July. My falopian tube burst and I had to have emergency surgery. Lost my baby. And my falopian tube and left ovary. My doctor didn't realize my baby was in the tube. He was 14 weeks along and the biggest baby the hospital has ever seen in the tubes. I lost over 2 liters of blood. I'm trying to get my strength back. But I'm also trying to be realistic. I would love some encouragement. Sounds like everyone on here is great at that. The holidays are not a problem for me but drinking wine and eating out are.

Glad to join you all. Let's lose together!!

Andi

I would like to join this thread. We just got back from a cruise and I have put on several of the pounds that I lost for that cruise. We are cruising next December so I have time to set a nice goal. Luckily my husband and I do not celebrate holidays so I have no worries about holiday foods.

Now, time to get off cruise critic and get on that threadmill :).

Hi. Why don't you celebrate?

YAY!!! To everyone on their weight loss! :DAnd welcome to the newcomers!!! :D I'm so glad that we have a good group for support! Cruising is really a good motivator!

I haven't even stepped on the scales this week... to much Uncle drama! I think and hope that he's discharged from the hospital today and can go back to assisted living. He's so depressed and recognizes that his dreams of being able to drive again are gone. He said that he knows the strokes are going to kill him soon and the only thing good in his life is to know that it's not going to hurt. :( Ugh, what can you say?

So.... I haven't given up my wine yet.... I think I'll start that on Monday.:rolleyes: On the good side, my DD and grandson are coming today for Halloween. It's so fun when they are here!

OK, I'll check in tomorrow. Keep up the good work, ladies!!!

Hi everyone. I would like to join here. I'm on 30 in 30 thread also. We cruise in 30 days so I don't have alot of time left. However, I have been working out and eating right. Only lost 6 pds. I am recovering from surgery I had in late July. My falopian tube burst and I had to have emergency surgery. Lost my baby. And my falopian tube and left ovary. My doctor didn't realize my baby was in the tube. He was 14 weeks along and the biggest baby the hospital has ever seen in the tubes. I lost over 2 liters of blood. I'm trying to get my strength back. But I'm also trying to be realistic. I would love some encouragement. Sounds like everyone on here is great at that. The holidays are not a problem for me but drinking wine and eating out are.

Glad to join you all. Let's lose together!!

Andi

Andi, how heartbreaking for you. I'm so sorry. :( We are here for you with encouragement and comfort.

Janet

Andi, how heartbreaking for you. I'm so sorry. :( We are here for you with encouragement and comfort.

Janet

Thank you. Sometimes it just feels good to talk about it. Looking forward with a positive outlook. Some days I am good and some days not so much. But one thing is for sure, I am looking forward to going on this cruise in November with my DH and my little boys. End this year with a positive and happy occasion. Plus it is our 18th wedding anniversary while on the cruise.

Andi

As part of my dedicated efforts to eat healthy as well as lose weight, I'm experimenting with new-to-me foods. This morning we went to the farmer's market, and along with cherry tomatoes and red potatoes, I got a small bunch of white turnips. I've never cooked with turnips before, as far as I know, I've never eaten turnips before. Any healthy recipe suggestions?

We had so much fun with our younger grandson tonight. It was his second Halloween, so after a few misfires, he got into it! Luckily, we had about 200 trick or treaters, so our candy is GONE!!! Thank Goodness, no more temptations in the house!

Tomorrow I start anew. This week stunk for me and I am embarassed how bad I was... wine, candy, etc. You name it, I ate it! I suck! :o But tomorrow is a new day, of a new month, my DD and Grandson are leaving to go home tomorrow and I can start over.

I'm glad that you guys are hanging in there. I've been really distracted with personal issues, but I'm back tomorrow for the long haul!:) Sorry I haven't been as supportive as I wanted to be.

I'll check in tomorrow after my walk!

I found a good soup recipe for the turnips.

Soup is my go to food for dieting. It is so filling and yummy. Course I get tired of it after awhile, but that hasn't come yet.

What is your go to food?

Hi Lisa,

I have recently discovered root vegetables. I love roasting them in the oven at 400*. I cut up sweet potatoes, beets, turnips, rudebagas (sp?) and drizzle a little olive oil and salt and pepper over them.. Then I bake them for about 40 minutes, turning them half way through. They are yummy! Sometimes I drizzle a little Balsamic vinegar over them.

Today I made Korean braised beef short ribs in the crock pot. I don't know if they are low cal or not, but you don't need to eat much, but it was soooo good! I also have a recipe for tortilla soup that I'll share this week. It's super low cal and tastes great! Love the recipe sharing! Thanks for bringing it up!:D

I am sitting outside right now passing out candy. It has been east to avoid temptation because I bought candy I do not like.

That's a good trick to avoid eating Haloween candy. I bought really dark chocolate---72% cacao. That is hard for me to swallow and kept me honest today. I managed to eat very little of it. My preference is milk chocolate, so I tricked myself by buying the bitter stuff.

Grrrrr Im back up a pound, to 167 today :(, I'm very frustrated, I can't seem to control my eating. I know that I shouldn't eat the stuff, but I go ahead and do it anyway.

whats wrong with me????????????????

starting weight 169

current weight 167

goal weight 135 or less

Hi all, my name is Cindy. I also need to shed the weight. I started low carb 1 week ago with my DH and our 1 week weigh in says we both lost 7 LBS. I am cruising in February 2011. I am 53, 5' 3 and 203 LBS now. I want to get to at least 150 LBS at some point next year. I am a medical office manager so I mostly have a sitting job. Girls like to take turns bringing in treats so thats difficult for a big sweet eater like me! Holidays will be hard I guess but I am determined to lose as is DH. I hate exercise but am gonna try for walking 45 minutes or more on my treadmill at least 3 days per week. Thats my story. Good luck to everyone this week, keep the strength! Cindy

Hi Everyone!

Suzque49, I'm sorry that you're having a bad week. Believe me, you are not alone on the naughty eating front. Between Halloween candy and parties, I've had a few slip ups too.

The rest of you, join in and tell me what you think, but it seems to me, and my WW meetings agree, that we are too hard on ourselves. We tend to focus on our mistakes rather than our strengths and successes. And the thing is, when we berate ourselves, at least for me, I don't make myself more inclined to be good. Instead, because I'm sad, frustrated, etc., I'm more likely to indulge in chocolate and skip workouts...what's the point since I've already messed up.

I'm not usually a person to go all new age and believe that just speaking positively can change your life, but I do think confidence is key. I've worked in schools going on my ninth year now, and I've seen that students who are confident assume that they will learn whatever lesson it is eventually. They are more likely to take risks, and because they took risks, they're more likely to learn from that experience. On the other hand, students who lack confidence, don't bother to listen because they believe there is no point in bothering. They won't try new things because they're sure they will fail or break something, and as a result of their attitude they tend to take longer to learn everything and require more help.

The thing is, while we all have slip ups each week, that's not all we have, right? And our goal isn't a pound or two this week, it is overall health and weight loss progress. At the same time, I know that honestly looking at our problems and mistakes is important too.

We're heading straight for the hardest part of the year. Halloween is just a tease for what is coming up. So I propose, a 1 for 3 rule. Many years ago, I was told that for every one negative thing you say to a student, you should follow it up with three positives. In the case of students, it lets them know that the one negative comment was about their behavior and not because you hate them. It also helps them see their own good and worth.

If you need to discuss those hard things, tell us about the positives too. Let's strengthen ourselves and each other. Is that too cheesy? And I have to go to work so I won't have time to read over this....

So for me, this weekend...I discovered the delights of Indian Somoas (deep fried goodness), but I also (1) counted all my points, even the Halloween candy ones, (2) worked out this morning, yay!, and (3) tried new healthy foods and recipes so that I won't get bored with my diet.

Have a great day! And happy health!

Magik, Congrats on the loss!!!

Wendy, Congrats for getting back on the wagon.... much better than getting run over by it!;)

bplazo, Congrats for being the responsible driver and not pulling into Sonic!:)

Lisa, Great advice.. We do need to approach this with more confidence. I do better when I "know" I'm going to succeed. Being honest and confident will prevent me from lying to myself. :rolleyes:

Cindy, Welcome!!! I'm sure you can tell that we are all beginners and are finding our way to what works for us. I'm happy that you're here.

Surf, Good job for getting the candy that you don't like. I LOVE dark chocolate, so I'm glad I didn't have it here. I did badly enough with what I did have. :mad:

Bad week for me, but today I started over and I've been good. Sent all the sweets home with DD and grandson! Weight watchers meeting on Friday. :D

*sighs* Guess my last post was a real killjoy. Sorry about that. I guess I was in teacher "fix-it" mode. So ignore.

Exercise-wise, the last couple of days have been tough because I'm fighting some kind of cold/flu. Conversely, food hasn't been a problem, because I don't feel like eating. I'm glad though that I've been eating right for a couple of weeks now and taking a multi-vitamin. I'm REALLY hoping that whatever this disease is, it will quickly pass me by.

Tomorrow is my weigh in, so we'll see how I've done. Then I'm on to Quilt Festival tomorrow night, yay!!! If any of you are cruising through Galveston in late Oct. or early Nov., you really should come to the International Quilt Festival, it is amazing!!

So...anyone else have fun plans coming up?

What are you planning to do on your cruise that will make getting fit so worthwhile? We are planning to go snorkeling and climbing around Mayan ruins if possible. :)

Thanks for the welcome! I agree that most of us are to hard on ourselves. I am trying to change that. I am also trying to work my way up to some exercise. LOL DH and I have found some veggies that are low enough in carbs to eat. We now make sure they are the staple of our meals at least every other day. Of course our favs are corn & sugar peas, LOL. Some day we will have them again. Hope all of you are having a great week! Cindy

Archived