Your Favorite Drugstore Alternatives to Expensive Cosmetics?

FinelyRetired

Would love to hear about the best drugstore alternatives you've found to pricier cosmetics.

I've been very surprised and satisifed with Revlon's ColorStay Overtime lipstick and have used, albeit sparingly, L'Oreal's Double Extend mascara.

Any other finds?

Martha

Hi, I must be really old school;) I still use Maybelline BIG LASH

mascara:D...pink/green container and it still works great for me:)

Yes, I have tried much more expensive brands over the years but

I keep coming back to it and am always happy with it!

Eye shadows vary for me..some Maybelline, some Covergirl, some

Lo'real.....just depends on what I find.

Rimmel foundation.(used since the 70's in England). Now avail CVS, Walg, Kmart, Wally,Mil Exchg's, coupons often in the shiney sheets on Sundays. And often on sale. Avg price $6 each. At Kmart, on end cap, the is ELF..each pc is a buck. small yes, but a good value for tryout, and travel. and they have the "kit" to place it in. I use what works for me.

I use Rimmel foundation too. I'm multi ethnic and it's been the only kind that actually matches my skin tone. Other then that I only use mark. products. I might be biases since I sell it but I love it and can't go back to using anything else.

Caldesene diaper rash powder for my face:D I have sensitive skin, & this sort of cools it down. Pretty feet & hands exfoliator for my face, cheap, make my face baby smooth, & it's not rough on my skin like the gritty scrubs are. Make up wise, it all comes from target, I love the nutragena line!

I like the Almay mascara. I can't find it at my Walmart but I can at

my Kmart. I started using the Loreal mineral makeup just to see if I

would like it. Well, I do, and I have not switched.

I use Olay Regenerist and moisturizer.

I've considered the Regenerist. Looks likes it's a whole line of products with various functions. Is one a simple daywear, under make-up moisturizer? I'd probably be willing to try that first.

M

with the Rimmel base..I use Baby Powder(unscented) in NO way does it change the colour of my make up.Also after I line my upper lids, I dust it on, for a no transfer finish. Verrry inexpensive..and I use BP anyway..it's good for you, no matter who's baby you are!

Are there specific products you are looking for drugstore dupes? There are just wayyyyyy too many products in my stash that I have a favorite in the high end AND drugstore equivalent. Plus, a lot of colors that I have found dupes for in the drugstore. If you could be more specific it would help to narrow the choices down.

I never thought to try baby powder as a face powder.....but I"m going to get some today!

I like the idea of no color and just a dusting to take away the shine.

I'm thinking you just put some in your hand and put on with a big brush?

Any certain kind or just any kind of non scented baby powder?

THANKS

I have my every day use in a snap lid container (meant for beads) or one of those travel jars for cream..Dollar Tree. I have a powder brush,,dip and shake excess..dust, fluff..pretty..for longggg trips extra is in a zip lock..

Thanks !!! Heading to the drug store this am for my baby powder !!!!!

I have very sensitive skin and I think this will be great for me.....for some reason....lots of pressed and loose powders tend to turn reddish/orange on my face !!!! I think baby powder will work great ! No color to it at all !

Don't use baby powder as face powder, it will seriously clog your pores.

I like Cover Girl loose powder (I use it with a kabuki brush) and Revlon shadows and eye liner.

The one department store brand I will never give up is Lancome mascara. I've tried them all and still buy Définicils, there is NO other that even comes close.

I like Cover Girl loose powder (I use it with a kabuki brush) and Revlon shadows and eye liner.

The one department store brand I will never give up is Lancome mascara. I've tried them all and still buy Définicils, there is NO other that even comes close.

Ducklite, Did you know that Lancome owns and produces L'Oreal? In a pinch you might want to try one of their mascaras. One of their formulas might be very similar to Definicils at half the price. Good luck:D

havent clogged nearly as much as some of my arteries!!! just a lite dusting to set the Rimmel base..washing the face takes it off...be sure to moisturize tho!

Thanks for the good ideas the baby powder is a new one for me, but I am up for a try.

I am trying to minimize my make up , as I get older I am finding that "less is more".

cruisekitty : ?? pretty hands and feet for your face ? can you fill me in on that ?

Cori

Good old Baby Oil..use it for removing eye makup, body moisturizer (rub it in while skin is damp and not on my face!). I like to use this esp. when I travel because it also can be used as mosquito repellent!

I get most of my cosmetics from Sephora, but I am constantly trying different drugstore brands in search of ways to cut back on my makeup spending, so I have a lot of feedback to give here... I will try to keep it short!

I use Bare Escentuals makeup & don't think I'll ever find anything I like as much. My second favorite makeup is L'Oreal True Match, which looks REALLY natural on the skin, blends well, provides medium coverage, and doesn't get cakey. I still use it on days I'm not going anywhere really important (to save money), since it's cheaper than BE but almost as good (as long as I still wear the BE Mineral Veil over it).

After trying a whole slew of various designer mascaras, I haven't found anything that gives more oomph (without flaking) than L'Oreal Voluminous.

L'Oreal eyeshadows (which someone already mentioned) are also wonderful. Blendable, silky, and very good pigmentation, no creasing (I do use my foundation as primer). And their HIP line has some great colors for going out (or dressing up on a cruise!) at night.

Also L'Oreal Color Riche Lipstick - as good as anything I've bought from Sephora and a lot cheaper. For glosses, my favorite is Clinique Glosswear (and at $14, not much more expensive than a lot of drugstore brands) - but L'Oreal's HIP collection has good quality ones too, I just wish they made more colors, because most of them are quite bright.

The basics: Face cleanser will depend on your skin type - there are a lot of great drugstore products out there but you have to find something that works for your skin. I am 30, I used to use formulas for oily skin, but my skin has gotten much drier in the past year so I very recently switched to Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash which is a GODSEND (and still very cheap) - my skin cleared right up, and also brightened up, to the point that I can almost go without makeup now! Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer is the ONLY daytime moisturizer I've found (including at least a dozen designer brands) that provides enough moisture without causing breakouts. ROC Deep Wrinkle Serum is awesome - at $30 it's expensive by drugstore standards but far cheaper than luxury brand wrinkle treatments, and it really works on fine lines. It contains retinol, which can cause irritation if you go in the sun without sunscreen, but I also use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunblock (for face) SPF 55 - this is a relatively new product that I fell in love with just in time for my Caribbean cruise in May, it is great sun protection without any oiliness - it just absorbs right into your skin - and doesn't make me break out.

Hair: I don't know if this is included under the umbrella of "cosmetics" but I just wanted to mention that out of literally dozens of brands, my favorite hairspray is one of the cheapest ones out there, Tresemme Ultra Fine Mist. It's so lightweight that you can't even tell it's in your hair, yet it works. Love it.

Hope all this helps.

Note: I tried Rimmel eyeshadows once and wasn't happy with the pigmentation (okay for the cheap price, but not nearly as good as L'Oreal) and that discouraged me from trying any of their other products... but based on some of the great reviews here, I'm going to give the brand another shot. Thanks ladies! I love this forum, so much great info for free!