hydro pool/thermal suite

floralscent

I noticed a hydro pool on the Eurodam last December but didn't take a look at it. What exactly is a hydro pool? Is it part of a spa package? Is there a fee to use it? Does the Nieuw Amsterdam have one?

Has anyone used the thermal suite before? What is it like and what is the cost? Where is it on the NA?

Thanks so much!

I noticed a hydro pool on the Eurodam last December but didn't take a look at it. What exactly is a hydro pool? Is it part of a spa package? Is there a fee to use it? Does the Nieuw Amsterdam have one?

Has anyone used the thermal suite before? What is it like and what is the cost? Where is it on the NA?

Thanks so much!

Check your deck plans and you can see where they are located. The Thermal Suite is basically just behind the hydropool.

The hydropool or as it is also known as a thassolotherapy pool is very similar to a traditional whirlpool, however the water contains special minerals that are good for the skin. The water is kept at body temperature, so you can stay in much longer than a traditional whirlpool. There is an area that is like a lounge area and then in the middle is a round area with stronger jets. There are also showers that you can stand under to pinpoint specific areas on the body.

The thermal suite is an area that has heated tile loungers. To look at them they do not look at all comfortable to me, but once you lay on one you will be addicted...and quite possibly will fall asleep there. Part of this area also includes three separate steam areas, all at different levels of intensity.

This is our favorite thing on HAL ships...we always purchase the weeklong pass and spend many hours there. All of the Vista and Signature ships have this area with the hydropool and thermal suite. It is my understanding that the older ships have a thermal suite, however the hydropool is mostly just like a traditional whirlpool.

If you are cruising, as soon as you embark I would encourage you to go directly to the spa and do the spa tour. The thermal suite and hydropool are part of the tour. :) :)

I did the week's pass on the Eurodam last year. Loved the loungers, steam rooms and saunas. Was not impressed with the hydra-pool at all. I found it to be uncomfortable (especially the metal bar loungers at the one end) and there was no way just to "sit and bubble" comfortably.

I will not be doing the pass again on the Eurodam or the Niew Amsterdam, but would on any of the other ships. I especially enjoyed the one on the Statendam, even with the aromatherapy not working.

Cheers,

Deb

I did the week's pass on the Eurodam last year. Loved the loungers, steam rooms and saunas. Was not impressed with the hydra-pool at all. I found it to be uncomfortable (especially the metal bar loungers at the one end) and there was no way just to "sit and bubble" comfortably.

I will not be doing the pass again on the Eurodam or the Niew Amsterdam, but would on any of the other ships. I especially enjoyed the one on the Statendam, even with the aromatherapy not working.

Cheers,

Deb

...and we find lounging on those metal bar loungers to be incredibly comfortable and relaxing... :) :)

• 2 years later...

And, apparently, nothing much has changed.:D

I would add the thermal pool area has loungers, cold drinks, fruit, etc. Good place to hang out if you don't want to use a deck chair in the sun or cold.

Can you book this by the day or do you have to book by the entire cruise?

Thanks!

You can book the thermal pool on line for the entire week only. Sorry -- I do not have the prices.

For day passes, you have to wait until you are on the ship to book these. The day price has been about $40 per day per person.

1071.JPG

1081.JPG

I just wish people would have more patience.

I was able to answer part of jresn02's question along with pictures.

Which ship are your photos from? I will be on Oosterdam in November and wanted to know more about thermal suite as well.

Which ship are your photos from? I will be on Oosterdam in November and wanted to know more about thermal suite as well.

The thermal suite is a great place to relax. Lie back on the loungers and watch the ocean go by. Very relaxing and peaceful.

• 8 months later...

Sailing this March 2014 on Eurodam.

I have noticed that the terms "Hydropool" and "Thermal Suite" are used separately. Are they two different spa services? If yes, what are the Thermal Suites?

Does the daily pass include both the hydropool and steam rooms, sauna, etc.

What is the daily cost per person?

You can book the thermal pool on line for the entire week only. Sorry -- I do not have the prices.

For day passes, you have to wait until you are on the ship to book these. The day price has been about $40 per day per person.

1071.JPG

1081.JPG

I've never been able to book the thermal suite online...I've always had to call Ship Services.

Sailing this March 2014 on Eurodam.

I have noticed that the terms "Hydropool" and "Thermal Suite" are used separately. Are they two different spa services? If yes, what are the Thermal Suites?

Does the daily pass include both the hydropool and steam rooms, sauna, etc.

What is the daily cost per person?

I believe the thermal suite is sometimes included in the prices of a massage, I have had access to the steam rooms, sauna and those wonderful heated ceramic lounges.... the "hydropool" is not always as shown in the photos here, on the Amsterdam and Zaandam it is just a "hot tub" supposedly with some therapeutic somethingl... but the thermal suite is included. so, it will depend on which class of ship you are on as to what that hydropool really is,

On the Noordam the pool is as shown on this board, and yes the thermal suite is included in the price, whether for one day , or for a week or the entire trip.

I always wait until I am on board and get the "special" flyer to book my massage, there is always an excellent price offered.

• 1 year later...

I realize this is a very old post but the information seems to be pertinent to my question.

I will be on the Amsterdam. I am interested in the spa package for the week. I have purchased these on Norwegian cruises and they sound very similar and I LOVED them! I am thinking with a cooler Alaskan cruise, this would be even more useful.

Can someone tell me if this is purchased in the place of embarking or is it purchased once onboard? If we buy the week- long for two people, must they be in the same cabin, same account, or can it be two people on separate accounts? Is the spa on Amsterdam HOT, not the room temp one? And is the price of $249 for two for the week? (that price was on a review of the Westerdam so not sure if it's standard for all ships)

Thanks so much.

I realize this is a very old post but the information seems to be pertinent to my question.

I will be on the Amsterdam. I am interested in the spa package for the week. I have purchased these on Norwegian cruises and they sound very similar and I LOVED them! I am thinking with a cooler Alaskan cruise, this would be even more useful.

Can someone tell me if this is purchased in the place of embarking or is it purchased once onboard? If we buy the week- long for two people, must they be in the same cabin, same account, or can it be two people on separate accounts? Is the spa on Amsterdam HOT, not the room temp one? And is the price of $249 for two for the week? (that price was on a review of the Westerdam so not sure if it's standard for all ships)

Thanks so much.

You can purchase the hydo spa online prior to the cruise. If there is a ship special on the ship, the spa will reimburse you the difference. Enjoy!

You can purchase the hydo spa online prior to the cruise. If there is a ship special on the ship, the spa will reimburse you the difference. Enjoy!

Thank you but we have obc we want to use. I already tried to use it when booking an excursion and they said you can't use onboard credit if you are not onboard! I guess that makes sense. So, since we plan to buy when we board, can we do it before boarding in the dock terminal area or should we head straight to the spa? Are there a limited number of spa passes available?

Thanks

We booked a spa /thermal suite pass for the duration of the cruise on the Zuiderdam last april on the day we boarded the ship.

They said that it was limited to 40 passengers, I guess it must have been because it was never crowded. We enjoyed it a lot !

Thank you but we have obc we want to use. I already tried to use it when booking an excursion and they said you can't use onboard credit if you are not onboard! I guess that makes sense. So, since we plan to buy when we board, can we do it before boarding in the dock terminal area or should we head straight to the spa? Are there a limited number of spa passes available?

Thanks

You'll have to wait until you are onboard the ship. If it's important to you, do as soon as you board.

Reposting my own experiences from another thread since it was such a mystery to me HOW to use this place:

I finally signed up for the thermal suite package on the Oosterdam. The experience is different on the smaller ships which do not have the large Vista class spa pool, but have more like a larger hot tub.

They put a sticker on your cruise card which you turn it at the spa desk in return for a locker room key and access card to the thermal spa. Mens and women's locker rooms with towels, hanging space for your clothes, enclosed showers with shampoo etc, and dressing room cabinets. Then you have a choice of several places to go - the heated ceramic loungers or the large heated spa pool.

The thermal spa is a very large whirlpool affair on the Vista class and higher ships with a center area of bubbles and jets, lounging bars where you can lay underwater in the bubbles, and a fairly large area in between where you can paddle around in the warm, bubbly water. It is about four feet deep so you can do some good stretching exercises too. There is a button outside the pool that regulates the jets and bubbles that is on a timer so it can go off during the time you are in the pool -- just reach up and turn it back on if no one else knows what to do.

There are loungers and towels outside of the pool but I did not see them in much use. The seductive loungers are the ceramic ones in the other spa area. You put a towel down on the ceramic base and just lay back in their warm embrace, and either watch the water go by from the large windows or close your eyes and just drift off. Be sure to not over stay if there are others waiting, or if they are all filled up. This room also has aroma scented showers and attendants to help you with that.

No special order in how you use either room - one or both, heated lounger first or last. I used them late in the afternoon after 5pm and they were mainly empty at that time. I would spend about half hour to 45 minutes and use the locker room shower to wash hair and start the process of getting ready for our dinner at 8pm. Other times might be more busy. I think they are open until 10pm, but need to check on that.

So once you are done with using the spa pool or heated loungers, you get dressed (or robed) and take your locker key and card access back to the spa desk and get your room key back and feel all pink, warm lazy and relaxed. Good time to go to sleep I always thought, but in our routine it was time to go to dinner.

Enjoy. BTW: I used it every day in the beginning and then less so later on. Just like a gym membership.

Others report they used it every day, several times a day and love, love, loved it. It is a fun place and a good value extra perk.

Not sure about the Oosterdam, but have gotten the package on the Eurodam and Zuiderdam. LOVED the hydro pool and thermal suite on both ships. The staff on both ships were so helpful and friendly.

If you go to the thermal suite as soon as you board, to take the tour and sign up for one of the packages, you can use your OBC, and you will probably be in time to get the reduced rate special, which is only offered for the first few hours after boarding. As someone else mentioned, they only take 40 couples. (Don't know where those 40 couples were! We used the area at all times of the day and until closing, and it was never crowded.)

There is also a drawing for a FREE thermal package on the day of embarkation. You need to sign up for this also as soon as you board.

You do not have to be in the same cabin to get the couples package. We have friends who have gotten the couples package (much better price than 2 single packages), and they were from different cabins. The husbands were not interested, so the ladies signed up together.

OlsSalt,

How much was the thermal suite package on the Oosterdam? Did you happen to see what the daily price was? I am trying to figure out how many days are the break even point for the package. Thank you!

The prices vary so much because of specials and discounts reported earlier and maybe even the type of trip - maybe cost more in colder climates than warmer ones???? I think mine was somewhere in the $150-$200 range for a New Zealand/Australia cruise - first two weeks of a collector multi-part cruise.

Good idea to think about its per diem value to you.

As a note - you get one free thermal suite day as a five star Mariner perk now.

• 2 years later...