Best line with kids

Judyumcer@aol.com

We really enjoy Princess cruises for our family. Our first two cruises were with Disney, and while they were very enjoyable, we have since discovered what great experiences other lines offered for a much better price. Of all of the lines we have cruised, including Disney, we find that Princess offers the best overall experience for our entire family. Great kids programs, fun activities, excellent food and atmosphere. We have been to Alaska three times on different Princess ships now and find they have very good itineraries and are a wonderful option for an Alaska cruise.

ANY of the cruiselines will offer the kids plenty. :) But I find, many times the priority should be for the adults, in the way of itinerary. Alaska is a costly trip. It can be of great benefit to avoid, less desirable itineraries and look for the most "Alaska".

Do not expect the numbers of kids compared to the Caribbean. Kids sail all ships, but the median age is middle.

I suggest you find out about Alaska, there are only 6 inside passage Alaska ports. See which are of the most interest for your activity choices. This will narrow down your list.

Head to your library and take out Alaska By Cruiseship, along with other Alaska travel guides. The more you know, the better your choice will be for your preferences.

I agree with Budget that you should pick an itinerary that fits your desires. We sailed the Wonder in the Bahamas’ last year. She was beautiful and a lot of fun. The kids had a BLAST on her as well. They have great child activities. If your kids are big into Disney movies and characters it is well worth the extra money, or maybe you were big into Disney as a child. They do deliver a uniquely Disney experience that is a lot of fun. However we took a Carnival ship to Alaska this spring, without the kids. There were still plenty of kids on board and I did look at the kids area and offerings. They also have plenty of activities to keep any child busy and happy. I doubt you can go wrong picking a line for the kids. Enjoy your time in Alaska. It is absolutely breathtaking.

If you go in the summer there will be kids and kids activities on all the ships even those with a reputation for the old folks :D

Yes Disney is sailing Alaska, they are pricey :eek: and also doing Tracy Arm so if you got to have close up Glacier from the boat they won't be the first choice. Disney should get their schedule togather! Its two sailings in a year they miss snagging me, Europe/Med in 2008 and Alaska in 2010, they need to move everything for me by a year. I'd sail them but they are never going when and where I want :mad:

We enjoyed princess clubs so far with kids from 7-teens in age. I wouldn't have hestation to book any number of lines, but usually don't let the kids sway me so much.

Schedule any of the major lines that meet YOUR budget, ambience and your grandchilds will survive!

We are considering taking the whole family on an Alaskan cruise next summer. 2 grandchildren ages 6 and 10 will be with us. Which line would be best for kids? I am looking at Disney but they seem so expensive for a 7 day cruise. Opinions please including Disney. Thanks!

With the ages of your grandkids I would say any line will be good. Everyone runs a good kid program and every ship in the summer will have at least 50 kids. If you had tweens or teens then the cruiseline might make a difference because that age program is very different on each ship. Pick the best itinerary.

We just booked our first cruise to Alaska for next summer. We were going to book Disney but lurked around on these boards for a while and decided not too. We are now going on Holland America instead as the schedule seems much better, ie. Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage. My 10 yr old DS is soo excited, especially as they have a room with video games to keep him amused.

Holland America has a promotion on where the 3rd and 4th passengers travel for a huge discount. It cost just over $200 including taxes, port fees for my sons fare. On Disney it would have cost nearly $1000.

We are doing a multi-generational trip to Alaska this coming June on HAL. We will have a total of four children on the ship. My two sons- 17 and 12 (who have done Disney and Royal), my sisters daughter and son (14 & 12) who have never sailed (nor has my sister and her husband).

We did Disney as our first cruise, and they hooked us on cruising. Yes, the kids programing was great, the shows were second to none. However, our trip on RCCL was fun as well. Our kids just love to cruise (they love to eat, and to them all the "free food" is their thing).

We had two lines in mind- HAL and Princess. Main reason, Glacier Bay. Not all lines are permitted into Glacier Bay. The Feds extremely limit the number of permits and HAL and Princess are the two who get the most permits. My parents are experienced HAL Mariners (they have sailed other lines as well) and did check out the youth programing on their last cruise as they had never paid attention prior. They were impressed with the list of activities available if kids wanted to do them. For us, we wanted the educational experience that an Alaska cruise will be able to offer and the chance to see Glacier Bay.

HAL has ships which offer covered swimming pools (Disney's ships were all built for warm weather sailing). HAL also allows passengers to be out on the bow in Glacier Bay to watch the wildlife, see the glaciers, hear the calving and listen to the Park Rangers/Naturalists who come aboard to talk about Glacier Bay.

We will be on a Vista class ship. She will have the arcades, children's programing, and a teen area. Alaska is very port intensive, so we aren't sure how much of the youth programing our kids will actually use. My understanding is that no matter which line you choose the number of children are lower on Alaska cruises due to the expense of the cruise its self.

You should research what you want to get out of the cruise- which ports, which glaciers. Do you want round trip, one way. Your grand children will be thrilled with any ship you choose. Have fun!

I will be looking at HAL and Princess. Disney has raised their prices just in the last month.

Well based on my experience and what I have heard HAL is the least likely one for kids. We sailed out of SF on Princess and it was really nice. In the future I think other than Disney, Carnival is the ship for kids. jmho

Certainly don't discount! We've sailed to Alaska three times - all on HAL, and there were always kids, always having a wonderful time enjoying the kids club and various activities throughout the ship. Alaska is a whole different ball game than a warm weather cruise - all ages, all interests sail to Alaska - there is something that appeals to every single age group. There is plenty to do and see aboard any ship sailing to Alaska - just remember, its all about the ports, excursions, wildlife and scenery. Personally, I find HAL's itineraries in Alaska some of the best - longer port times, ability to access Glacier Bay, and the jewel port of Sitka - not all cruiselines stop there. Yes certainly, all the other cruiselines offer a great product for Alaska sailing - no doubt about it. Speaking from experience, there are all ages on a HAL ship (as I'd venture a guess there are on every single cruiseline) from infant to retirees, young couples, middle-aged, family groups, you name it. They have an active, educational and fun children's program, as well as a private teen area, along with covered swimming pool with retractable roof, outdoor pool, hot tubs, basketball courts, ping pong, a wonderful library, and great viewing areas on their teak promenade deck and in the Crows Nest. Something for everybody! Do what is right for you - what appeals most to your family. Whichever line you choose, you will not be disappointed! Alaska is everything you've heard and more. Thats why we're already planning our fourth trip for 2012 (and who knows, I may get back there by myself next year if DH is unable to go;)!). Magnificent place with spectacular views. Its a place that finds its way into your heart and never wants to leave. Happy sailing!

Archived