Pub Lunches

cruisinalong001

I agree for a Yorkshire lass those mushy peas were no more than crushed garden peas and the fish was unedible, sadly it is harder to find good crispy battered fried fish these days but I will not be dany more

oing "pub lunch" on Princess

I agree for a Yorkshire lass those mushy peas were no more than crushed garden peas and the fish was unedible, sadly it is harder to find good crispy battered fried fish these days but I will not be dany more

oing "pub lunch" on Princess

I enjoyed the mushy peas, but then again I love green peas, I guess y'all call them garden peas. But now I'm curious, what are authentic mushy peas supposed to taste like and what are the ingredients?

The fish we had on the Golden this summer was crispy. No complaints at all from our group, but I don't think we would have known any better;)!

I enjoyed the mushy peas, but then again I love green peas, I guess y'all call them garden peas. But now I'm curious, what are authentic mushy peas supposed to taste like and what are the ingredients?

The fish we had on the Golden this summer was crispy. No complaints at all from our group, but I don't think we would have known any better;)!

Some posts seem to indicate how crisp the food is could be due to where you're eating.

Dining rooms with attached kitchens (Crown Grill) where they're freshly cooked are reported to be better than a dining venue without a kitchen which makes sense to me.

We've only had the Pub Lunch in a Crown Grill & found all items we ate to be fresh, hot & crispy where appropriate.

It's a good option for those who like the food but not for those who don't. :rolleyes:

But now I'm curious, what are authentic mushy peas supposed to taste like and what are the ingredients?

They are made from dried marrowfat peas which are reconstituted by soaking overnight and then cooked with bicarbonate of soda and salt.

As dry produce they would be ideal to store on ship. Failing that they can be supplied pre cooked in tins.

They are delicious and taste nothing like mashed up garden peas and sugar (yuk).

I've attached a link to a tutorial video from a chip ship in Lancashire in the North West of England the spiritual home of the musy pea and fish and chips (though a Yorkshire person would strongly disagree!)

Enjoy!

http://www.visitnorthwest.com/blog/anside-chip-shop-how-to-make-mushy-peas/

My favorite item on the pub lunch was the bread and butter pudding:)

Mine too!!! Delicious.

I have to say too that so were the mushy peas and they were done properly. This was on the Ruby but I did notice a certain 'race' ate their fish with their fingers and not using their cutlery!!!!!!!!!

Mine too!!! Delicious.

I have to say too that so were the mushy peas and they were done properly. This was on the Ruby but I did notice a certain 'race' ate their fish with their fingers and not using their cutlery!!!!!!!!!

I for one don't care if one uses their fingers to eat one's fish. Why would you even take care to notice...or even concern yourself about "race"...shame! :eek: :mad:

Remember Princess's motto: Escape Completely!

I've attached a link to a tutorial video from a chip ship in Lancashire in the North West of England the spiritual home of the musy pea and fish and chips (though a Yorkshire person would strongly disagree!)

Enjoy!

http://www.visitnorthwest.com/blog/anside-chip-shop-how-to-make-mushy-peas/

I prefer to take my chips and mussh peas with that other Lancasihre delicasy the steak & kidney pudding (unheard of in Yorkshire), add to that a buttered barm cake and you have my ultimate chip shop lunch.

Would love to see that on the Princess pub lunch menu, followed of course by their lovely bread and butter pudding.

Funny I do like split pea soup, but hate normal green peas. Is the mushy pea dish anything like split pea soup?

No, it's like taking your fork and smashing the peas up until they're mush, then eating the pile of mush. Yuck. Regular peas are bad enough, but mushed ones look like jarred babyfood peas. I was served them in a pub in England and got sick just looking at them.

I prefer to take my chips and mussh peas with that other Lancasihre delicasy the steak & kidney pudding (unheard of in Yorkshire), add to that a buttered barm cake and you have my ultimate chip shop lunch.

Would love to see that on the Princess pub lunch menu, followed of course by their lovely bread and butter pudding.

You can't beat a good chip barm on a friday night after 8 or 9 pints down the pub....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D:D:D:D:D:D

I was really looking forward to the fish n chips, however there is nothing worse than soggy fish, chips, fried-you name it. Hopefully this will be different in a couple of weeks during our excursion on the Sapphire.

We had the Pub Lunch in one of the Anytime Dining Rooms so it sounds like the Sapphire might change it up a bit. Ours were crispy and very good. I hope you have a good experience!

...it's like taking your fork and smashing the peas up until they're mush, then eating the pile of mush. Yuck. Regular peas are bad enough, but mushed ones look like jarred babyfood peas. I was served them in a pub in England and got sick just looking at them.

How terrible to be so sickened! You poor man - it must have been a truly awful experience for you.

Did you go for counselling or a McDonald's?

For Pork Pies, they must be Melton Mowbray Pork Pies!! Did the Pub Lunch on the Emerald this year,and the Fish & Chips were suprisingly good, although the mushy peas needed a tweak. In my younger days, every friday night in the Red Lion pub in Conisbrough South Yorkshire was mushy peas and pie night.. I really miss then, total delight!!! Anyway tomorrow night is Fish and Chip night ( or Fish Supper ), magic.

Tony

Wheelhouse when we were on it.

It will be listed in the Patter on the days the Pub Lunch is offered.

The only time I've had the Pub Lunch was on the Caribbean Princess. They had it in the Crown Grill and it was very nice. We'll be on the Crown Princess for New Year's and I was just wondering where you sit with a plate of food in the Wheelhouse Bar? Balanced on your lap? Hunched over one of those little tables? At the bar? :confused:

The only time I've had the Pub Lunch was on the Caribbean Princess. They had it in the Crown Grill and it was very nice. We'll be on the Crown Princess for New Year's and I was just wondering where you sit with a plate of food in the Wheelhouse Bar? Balanced on your lap? Hunched over one of those little tables? At the bar? :confused:

Had to laugh.. Hunched over one of those little tables :D. We sat at the bar and it was great!! Can't get better, or faster service than when you're looking the barkeep in the eye!! ;)

Archived