Pub Lunches

cruisinalong001

Do they serve the pub lunches in the MDR? Are we able to have a pub lunch during embarkation?

The pub lunch is only served on sea days (it will be announced in the Princess Patter, so watch for the time and place annouced there) and not in the dining room. On our last cruise it was served in the Wheelhouse bar, but again ONLY on sea days. Enjoy!

Do they serve the pub lunches in the MDR? Are we able to have a pub lunch during embarkation?

On the Coral, they hold it in the Bayou Cafe and on the Golden, they had it in the Crown Grill.

It will be announced in the Patter when/where it is.

Our last couple of cruises it was a sea day & served in the Crown Grill (on Star & Golden). It was always fresh & hot and we would eat after 12:30 (open from 11:30 - 1:30 as I recall) and it was much less crowded. If there's a good lecturer or some other popular event many would go to the Pub Lunch after so it could be busy at those times. If you're flexible like us & can go after 12:30 we always got seats without a wait. Like many things onboard, if your schedule is flexible you can minimize the crowds you will experience.

We've enjoyed the fish & chips, farmers pie, bangers and mash. Not being a gourmet in pub food, we enjoyed it a lot. They have always had a dessert which varies but we enjoyed it.

They also have a selection of beers that aren't as common onboard...mostly Brtitish Isles types & I don't recall the brands but probably some one on CC knows.

Our last couple of cruises it was a sea day & served in the Crown Grill (on Star & Golden). It was always fresh & hot and we would eat after 12:30 (open from 11:30 - 1:30 as I recall) and it was much less crowded. If there's a good lecturer or some other popular event many would go to the Pub Lunch after so it could be busy at those times. If you're flexible like us & can go after 12:30 we always got seats without a wait. Like many things onboard, if your schedule is flexible you can minimize the crowds you will experience.

We've enjoyed the fish & chips, farmers pie, bangers and mash. Not being a gourmet in pub food, we enjoyed it a lot. They have always had a dessert which varies but we enjoyed it.

They also have a selection of beers that aren't as common onboard...mostly Brtitish Isles types & I don't recall the brands but probably some one on CC knows.

On the Coral last year it was Boddingtons, Bass Ale and Guiness. Whatever you do, do not have them in a frosted glass as it completely ruins the taste.

The Sapphire has the pub lunch in the dining room. Or at least it did last December. I love those mushy peas. Luckily no one else at the table did so I wound up w/a mound of mushy peas.

Just got back from the Sapphire...the pub lunch was held at Club Fusion. Since they don't have a kitchen there, and the fish & chips were covered with a plastic lid, they weren't very crispy. However, the prawns (served on a separate day from a different menu) were excellent!

The Sapphire has the pub lunch in the dining room. Or at least it did last December. I love those mushy peas. Luckily no one else at the table did so I wound up w/a mound of mushy peas.

Oh, my, I would up LOVING those mushy peas with the fish & chips!!! Can't wait to have them again.

Cottage Pie...I tried to remember the other name for shepherd's pie & guessed wrong with "farmers" pie. :o

Traditionally - shepherd's pie = lamb/mutton, cottage pie = beef. But apparently the terms are used more interchangeably today.....

Hi There,

Three times I have tried on different cruises to get to the pub lunch and still not made it. once got invited for lunch with an officer we knew, next a meeting with the commodore, and then a CC meeting.

OH well may be next year. Mind you I have a fish and chip shop 100 yards from my house so I think I will have fish and chips for my tea.

yours shogun

Hi There,

Three times I have tried on different cruises to get to the pub lunch and still not made it. once got invited for lunch with an officer we knew, next a meeting with the commodore, and then a CC meeting.

OH well may be next year. Mind you I have a fish and chip shop 100 yards from my house so I think I will have fish and chips for my tea.

yours shogun

Was going to have beans on toast for tea, but i think you've just changed my mind.....

Hi There,

yours shogun

I hope with proper mushy peas! The ones we had on Coral were awful = they tasted like garden peas mashed up with sugar.

Was going to have beans on toast for tea, but i think you've just changed my mind.....

Ah ha ha ha - sorry, you just gave me a good laugh - haven't heard "beans on toast" for YEARS! Originally a Lancashire Lass, but have lived in California for 50 years now.

I hope with proper mushy peas! The ones we had on Coral were awful = they tasted like garden peas mashed up with sugar.
We've lunched with people from the UK on several occasions at the Pub lunch onboard. Universally their opinion has been that the mushy peas were not properly prepared. Fortunately, being from the colonies, we didn't know the difference.

The fish and chips, however, are always great!

Yup, that's how they tasted to me, but I thought that's how they were SUPPOSED to taste :o:o:o

If you are a Brit, especially transplanted, don't do the pub lunch. As described above the mushy peas are made out of garden peas! and the chips were shoestring fries. I didn't try the cottage pie but the one I saw had cheese on top - which certainly isn't on a Cumbrian cottage pie.

Anyone who isn't a Brit, wait and do a real pub lunch when you do a British Isle cruise.

I loved the cottage pie,there was no cheese on mine,it was just right,take it from me I am a 70year old brit grandmother,I was not keen on the fancy food in the mdr,would have loved a more home style option.

When I looked at the menu I didnt have a clue what most of it was,I was craving braised steak,lamb chops,fish pie,so the pub lunch was heaven.

Loved the Emerald though,just cant wait to sail with her again.

Archived