Pub Lunches

cruisinalong001

Great postings and I thank you. I started to get hungry just reading it even though I just had a late lunch 3 hours ago. It sounds like someone should clue them in on the proper preparation of mushy peas.:) probably on some other dishes as well, but it should be a great lunch or two.

Just got back from the Sapphire...the pub lunch was held at Club Fusion. Since they don't have a kitchen there, and the fish & chips were covered with a plastic lid, they weren't very crispy. However, the prawns (served on a separate day from a different menu) were excellent!

I was really looking forward to the fish n chips, however there is nothing worse than soggy fish, chips, fried-you name it. Hopefully this will be different in a couple of weeks during our excursion on the Sapphire.

Looking forward to trying the Pub Lunch on the Emerald. I don't know if it has been on our previous cruises (never noticed any announcements in Patters, etc.) but thanks to CC - I'll be watching for it in 61 days! I like fish & chips, if they're hot and crispy!

I was really looking forward to the fish n chips, however there is nothing worse than soggy fish, chips, fried-you name it. Hopefully this will be different in a couple of weeks during our excursion on the Sapphire.

Looking forward to trying the Pub Lunch on the Emerald. I don't know if it has been on our previous cruises (never noticed any announcements in Patters, etc.) but thanks to CC - I'll be watching for it in 61 days! I like fish & chips, if they're hot and crispy!

I wonder if they are any worse than Carnival's fish and chips? I have been on three different sailings one on the Liberty and two on the Freedom.

Served fresh and pipping hot, but oily oily....yuck :( !

We went to the pub several times on the Emerald Princess last week. I always wanted to try a "SCOTCH EGG"....they had it on the menu only once. For those of you who don't know what one is....it's a hard boiled egg covered in sausage, then dip in bread crumbs and deep fried...very different, but very good. We never stood in a line, actually never even saw a line.

We went to the pub several times on the Emerald Princess last week. I always wanted to try a "SCOTCH EGG"....they had it on the menu only once. For those of you who don't know what one is....it's a hard boiled egg covered in sausage, then dip in bread crumbs and deep fried...very different, but very good. We never stood in a line, actually never even saw a line.

I love scotch eggs! The description sounds kind of strange, but it's one of those things you have to try to appreciate. I had heard they had them at the pub lunch now and made sure I went to both pub lunches on our last cruise and they didn't have them either day. Guess I'll just keep trying! I enjoy the pub lunch anyway because it's just a nice change of pace.

Just got back from the Sapphire...the pub lunch was held at Club Fusion. Since they don't have a kitchen there, and the fish & chips were covered with a plastic lid, they weren't very crispy. However, the prawns (served on a separate day from a different menu) were excellent!

I enjoyed having it in the dining room as everything was freshly prepared and at room temp. Fingers crossed that maybe it is itinerary dependent? Last time I was on Sapphire was the Mexican Riviera as will be my cruise in 2 weeks.

I loved the pub lunch, but not being a "Brit" I wouldn't know any different. It's kind of like on the rare occasion that I've seen them serve "gravy and biscuits" for breakfast. My dear grandmother wouldn't recognize it, and being Southern, I wouldn't even eat it! With all the different nationalities on board, you have to give the chefs and "A" for effort though!

When we were on the Sapphire last Jan Pub lunch was held at Savoy dining room. YUM :) Steak and Kidney pie was one of the best I have ever had and Mr.QT's chicken curry was so good I had to steal a bite!!

I had Haggis once at a Scottish restaurant and liked it....I have to try those Scotch eggs.....sound awful but am sure they would be great, rather like eating egg, sausage and toast in one's hand.

I enjoyed having it in the dining room as everything was freshly prepared and at room temp. Fingers crossed that maybe it is itinerary dependent? Last time I was on Sapphire was the Mexican Riviera as will be my cruise in 2 weeks.

I don't think it is itinerary dependent. We had the pub lunch on the Ocean Princess in both the Indian Ocean and the South Atlantic.

A "Scotch Egg" - it sounds interesting! Hope they have it on the Emerald in January!

I don't think it is itinerary dependent. We had the pub lunch on the Ocean Princess in both the Indian Ocean and the South Atlantic.

I was questioning if the location of the pub lunch on the Sapphire was itinerary dependent since I had it in the Savoy (Mex Riv) and someone else who did the MR had it in the Savoy; but someone just off the Sapphire (to Sydney) had the pub lunch in Club Fusion. Warm and fresh out of the kitchen into a dining room seems preferable to bringing it to Club Fusion where there is no kitchen and the fish and chips might get soggy. Mushy peas are something I like. Mushy chips.. not so much.

Ah ha ha ha - sorry, you just gave me a good laugh - haven't heard "beans on toast" for YEARS! Originally a Lancashire Lass, but have lived in California for 50 years now.

Love beans on toast, especially with cheese melted over the top.....:D:D:D

I loved the pub lunch, but not being a "Brit" I wouldn't know any different. It's kind of like on the rare occasion that I've seen them serve "gravy and biscuits" for breakfast. My dear grandmother wouldn't recognize it, and being Southern, I wouldn't even eat it! With all the different nationalities on board, you have to give the chefs and "A" for effort though!

Toddy, Toddy, Toddy.

Biscuits and gravy (cream or sawmill) are staples of any true southern table and have been since the days of the cowboy. Along with ham, grits (salted during the boiling stage) and eggs, (usually fried, but suppose you can have scrambled if no bacon grease is available) are always on the menu when you are about to trek to a deer blind or go plow the back forty.

Also great for a big family at the beach house.

OOPS! Sorry all, off topic!

Toddy, Toddy, Toddy.

Biscuits and gravy (cream or sawmill) are staples of any true southern table and have been since the days of the cowboy. Along with ham, grits (salted during the boiling stage) and eggs, (usually fried, but suppose you can have scrambled if no bacon grease is available) are always on the menu when you are about to trek to a deer blind or go plow the back forty.

Also great for a big family at the beach house.

OOPS! Sorry all, off topic!

Believe me, I know! I was raised on gravy and biscuits. And grits, don't even get me started on those -- not instant grits, but fresh from White's Mill in Virginia, the kind that need to cook for a good hour or so! Nothing better -- except maybe the garlic cheese grits I make once a year for Christmas Eve breakfast!

Not sure if you may have misunderstood my post, but I was referring to the ship's attempt to create gravy and biscuits that I wouldn't eat!

If you want to beat the crowd, get in line a few minutes before it opens. The fish & chips are really tasty!

Beth

On Crown last year, pub lunches started at 12 noon. The queue started well before 11.30 We actually got into the habit of walking around this area just to see how early the queues started !!!!!!!

We used to go about 30 minutes before it finished and rarely had to wait long. Love the lunches, much better than Horizon Court.

Archived