Binoculars

Daveanna

Hi we are going on our first alaskian cruise in sept next year and was wondering if any one could recommend a good pair of binoculars for under £100.I see a lot of people have given good reviews on zen Ray but can't find any one that stocks them in england.I know you can buy them off there web site but I would like to try them first.thanks for any coments Dave.

I too would not buy them without trying them, but was fortunate enough to be in the area of their office/warehouse and got to try them out. Before trying them, I was skeptical! But I bought a pair of their most expensive and am delighted (and my husband, who was even more skeptical than me, would have bought them but didn't need another pair)

Anyway, I don't think you will find them anyplace in England. Have you emailed Zen-ray to ask?

As for another brand, there are many good ones out there. Become familiar with the terminology and price breaks, read reviews (many people on here have only owned one pair, and bought those mail order only on a recommendation from another who also has only owned one pair, and so on. So although they may really like what they have, I personally don't feel that is a recommendation to purchase a $100 or more item on), and then go to sporting goods stores near you and try them out. I really think binoculars are one of those things that "one size does not fit all." You will find many people on here saying 10 power is too much...you can't hold them steady, etc. I was using my 10 power out the window of a small plane 2 weeks ago to view tundra swans. And we travel everywhere with 10 power. Sometimes all it takes is practice. And for other people, they wouldn't be any good at all, as they can't keep steady.

Personally, I would say to stay away from compact and fixed-focus (often called, inappropriately, auto-focus). But for many, they're perfect.

I would also suggest that the younger you are, or the more you travel, the more you spend on them. So many times I've read on this forum, "I'm only going to use them for this one trip, so I'm only spending....."

Well, with what they're spending, of course they're only going to use them on one trip!Cheap binoculars do not give you the clarity, field of vision, and ease of use that better ones do.

A good mid-priced pair of binoculars will be a life-long possession, one that can be handed down to the next generation, even.

Edited by mytime53

I got their 8x43 ZEN ED binoculars for slightly over $350. I am very impressed by how good the optics is. It seems many people like their new VISTA for about $130. Although I haven't tried those yet, I think the VISTA should be very good judging from the quality of other binoculars they build.

I really like my Zen-ray ZRS HD binoculars, very crisp and bright. I am considering buying another pair soon. Initially, i am not sure whether I should buy it online based on the reviews here. Since they have 30-day return guarrantee, I decided to give it a try. Well, so far I am very impressed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alaska is beautiful with our without binoculars. During the inside passage and scenic cruising all one needs really is their eyes. I see the need for binoculars for only one reason, wildlife viewing while on the cruise ship itself.

On every excursion I've taken, whale, sightseening the vendor had ample bincoulars for borrowing. Other times were nice but really didn't make or break. Having 3 kids figured we didn't want to miss any opportunity and got 3 pairs, cheap on sale, but still good enough. The were nothing but weight around our necks most of the time, and on each tour where they were a must, the vendor had them, YMMV.

Thus if an up close look at a whale, eagle, seal, otter from the ship is what you must have then bincoculars are must. But also you need to be aware that wildlife close enough to the big boat is a rarity as the boat doesn't go out of its way to catch whales, seals or bears.

Enjoy that first cruise, if anything I would instead take the money from the binoculars and invest in a good superzoom camera or lense if you don't already have one.

Hi we are going on our first alaskian cruise in sept next year and was wondering if any one could recommend a good pair of binoculars for under £100.I see a lot of people have given good reviews on zen Ray but can't find any one that stocks them in england.I know you can buy them off there web site but I would like to try them first.thanks for any coments Dave.
Edited by chipmaster

Alaska is beautiful with our without binoculars. During the inside passage and scenic cruising all one needs really is their eyes. I see the need for binoculars for only one reason, wildlife viewing while on the cruise ship itself.

On every excursion I've taken, whale, sightseening the vendor had ample bincoulars for borrowing. Other times were nice but really didn't make or break. Having 3 kids figured we didn't want to miss any opportunity and got 3 pairs, cheap on sale, but still good enough. The were nothing but weight around our necks most of the time, and on each tour where they were a must, the vendor had them, YMMV.

Thus if an up close look at a whale, eagle, seal, otter from the ship is what you must have then bincoculars are must. But also you need to be aware that wildlife close enough to the big boat is a rarity as the boat doesn't go out of its way to catch whales, seals or bears.

Enjoy that first cruise, if anything I would instead take the money from the binoculars and invest in a good superzoom camera or lense if you don't already have one.

I agree with this advice..also if sailing with RCI in a GS or above there will be a pair in your cabin to use while on your cruise on or off the ship...

• 2 months later...
DH tried to bring a spotting scope last summer. But it's too bulk to put in the suitcase. So we were just settled with two pairs of binoculars, which worked out perfectly for us

we got a spotting scope last month. I couldn't get used to watching through one eye only. I guess I will have to stick with binoculars

There is too much motion on a ship to use a spotting scope and really enjoy the scenery. My advice with binoculars for a cruise is stick with something in the 7X or 8X range, this is the marine standard and takes the motion of the ship out of the equation.

You'll find a pair of Bushnell 8 x 42 in my glovebox and they are excellent! And for only $70 or so, won't break the bank...

Described as "the best 'pound for pound' wildlife viewing binoculars in the business.

They combine value, craftsmanship, technical performance, and a nearly perfect balance of "magnification (8) x field of view (42). They have these Special Features:

• BaK-4 porro prisms for bright, clear, crisp viewing
  • Multi-coated optics for superior light transmission and brightness
  • Waterproof & Fogproof: O-ring sealed and nitrogen-purged for 100% reliable, fog-free performance
  • Large center focus knob for easy, precise adjustments
  • Non-slip rubber armor absorbs shock while providing a firm grip
  • Twist-up eyecups
  • Large center focus knob for easy, precise adjustments
  • Longer eye relief
  • Weight - 27.2 oz / 770 grams

Enjoy!

There is too much motion on a ship to use a spotting scope and really enjoy the scenery. My advice with binoculars for a cruise is stick with something in the 7X or 8X range, this is the marine standard and takes the motion of the ship out of the equation.

very good advice. staying with 8x is much preferred for ship and 10x for inland

Just splurged and ordered the 8 x 42 Nikon Monarch from Amazon yesterday. Also ordered the Alaska Cruise Handbook (Mile by Mile Guide). It seems like everything else about this vacation is a splurge also. Ha! Can't wait to go!

Just splurged and ordered the 8 x 42 Nikon Monarch from Amazon yesterday. Also ordered the Alaska Cruise Handbook (Mile by Mile Guide). It seems like everything else about this vacation is a splurge also. Ha! Can't wait to go!

Good choices, you should enjoy both.:)

Before our first trip to Alaska, my hubby gave me some 10 x 50 Action Nikon binoculars for my Christmas present....so I could view the beauty of Alaska..wink, wink...He loves them! I'm just happy to be there :) I'm positive you will love what you get!

congratulations. It took us a while to finally decide to get our zen-ray ZRS binoculars. It turns out to be one of the best decisions we have made. Even before the trip, we have used them in many different outings. cannot wait to take them to Alaska.

Ok, i found this thread very interesting....my friend and I are planning our cruise to Alaska for May 2012....binoculars are something i know absolutely NOTHING about! :o I owned a small pair a few years ago, but could never really figure out how to use them, lol....

We bought a pair of Bushnell 8x42 H2O Waterproof Binoculars on eBay for $32, including shipping. I can't guarantee you'll find the same deal but we were very happy with these binoculars on our Alaska and Hawaii cruises.

I keep an old pair of Bushnell 8X42's in the back of of my car and they are quite adequate for someone who is going to take the occasional cruise ....however they will never take the place of my Fujinon Polaris 7X50's which at $500 a copy are light years ahead of my Bushnell's. But frankly the Fujinons would be overkill for a 7 day Alaska cruise.

Ok, i found this thread very interesting....my friend and I are planning our cruise to Alaska for May 2012....binoculars are something i know absolutely NOTHING about! :o I owned a small pair a few years ago, but could never really figure out how to use them, lol....

well, if watching marine and wild animals are your priority for Alaska cruise(which is ours), a pair of binoculars will be very useful. A lot of cruisers (guess most of them are not on the CC) will never venture beyond the gift shops that are dotted near the dock.