Meclizine @ Walmart?

tyd

Is Meclizine the generic name of the motion sickness pills? I went to my local Walmart and asked for Meclizine @ the drug counter. The salesperson walked me over to an isle that had all the motion sickness medicines (dramamine, bonnie, sea bands etc..)

There was a thread that said I could get a bottle of the generic pills equivalent to dramamine/bonnie. The only pill bottle I saw with 100pills @ 50mg was an Equate brand. Is this what I am looking for? Please help, I leave in a week and would like to pick it up prior to sailing.

Thanks

Equate is Walmart's version of a generic. It will say on the side of the bottle "as compared to ". If it is compared to Bonine or Dramamine, then you should be fine.

I thought that was it, just wanted to make sure before I purchased it.

Thank you.

Is Meclizine the generic name of the motion sickness pills? I went to my local Walmart and asked for Meclizine @ the drug counter. The salesperson walked me over to an isle that had all the motion sickness medicines (dramamine, bonnie, sea bands etc..)

There was a thread that said I could get a bottle of the generic pills equivalent to dramamine/bonnie. The only pill bottle I saw with 100pills @ 50mg was an Equate brand. Is this what I am looking for? Please help, I leave in a week and would like to pick it up prior to sailing.

Thanks

Yes. ;)

someone told me that Bonine works good and doesn't make you sleepy like Dramamine does.......I'm going to try it for the "motion" feeling, not for actual sickness......

There are two types of Dramamine, the regular and the less-drowsy. Meclazine is the chemical component of both Bonine and the Dramamine less-drowsy and they are the same strength (25mg).

Meclizine is usually by prescription. Didn't know you could buy without one. I'm on it for vertigo, but the Doctor told me I could also take Dramimine. Same results.

Its the generic Bonnine. Its available over the counter and has been for years and years. You don't need a prescription.

My bottle says Meclizine 100 tabs 25mg. Purchased at Walmart and they kept it behind the counter. Bought it a couple of years ago.

I don't think I'd want to take a 50mg tab. In fact, thought it only came in 12.5 and 25mgs. I take mine 2x per day but don't think I'd want the dose all at once.

No need to buy a bottle of 100 pills. There are smaller packages in several stores.....Walmart, Target, CVS, Riteaid, and grocery stores. You can also order it online at www.drugstore.com

The bottle of 100 Equate (Wal-Mart brand) Meclazine pills are about $4.50 at the Wal-Marts near me. It's less than buying 16 Dramamine non-drowsy (same thing exactly) tablets.

There is NO prescription necessary for Meclizine here in the USA. It IS the generic med found in Bonine and Dramamine II( the non drowsy one) You should be able to find it in Wal Mart or in any pharmacy or supermarket.

In MA, we can purchase bonine Over the counter but cannot purchase meclizine without Rx. Go figure.

I specificially asked at WalMart after reading here in the past a similar post to yours. The pharmacist directed me to bonine and said she could not sell me meclizine without Rx.

In MA, we can purchase bonine Over the counter but cannot purchase meclizine without Rx. Go figure.

I specificially asked at WalMart after reading here in the past a similar post to yours. The pharmacist directed me to bonine and said she could not sell me meclizine without Rx.

That's really odd since the active ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine...

The bottle of 100 Equate (Wal-Mart brand) Meclazine pills are about $4.50 at the Wal-Marts near me. It's less than buying 16 Dramamine non-drowsy (same thing exactly) tablets.

Well then it looks like the bottle of 100 pills is the best buy but you sure will have alot of them!

That's really odd since the active ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine...

I just got some last week. CVS and Walgreen said I needed a script but Walmart pharmacy sold it to me without a script. $5.05 for 100 pills, 25 mg

Weird.

I agree it's odd we can buy bonine but not meclizine. duh? Must have been an accountant who wrote that rule. :D

Bonine IS meclizine.

The best part of this whole discussion is the front office on HAL as well as Infirmary gives out meclizine upon request when there are rough seas.

I bought the Walmart Equate 100 pill bottle two cruises ago, and it doesnt even look like a made a dent in it. I also have a pack of Bonine that I purchased last cruise for some reason. I'll have to check the expiration date before January to make sure they're still ok to take. If not I hold them til our towns next prescription/medicine disposal event in the spring.

In Arkansas, you don't need a prescription for meclizine but it is kept behind the pharmacy counter at Wal-Mart and Target. You just have to ask for it - I think they keep it behind the counter because it can be prescribed by doctors so they need the larger bottles in order to fill prescriptions. If you get it filled as a prescription then it is covered by your insurance, so if you have no copay or a small copay, then you are actually saving money getting it via prescription. And yes, the $4 for the 100 count bottle is less than 1 small package of Bonine.

Archived