???'s about San Diego, Holland America and the Rotterdam

bcnvcanada

Hi We are very new to Holland America, have sailed on other cruise

lines before. We are doing longer trip on the Rotterdam early next year.

We read about the new pier, and wonder if it will be in use by February? The Rotterdam, what is really like, some of the reviews have us scared.

Does Southwest Airlines do cases direct or is this service in use at this

port? Please to share anything about these topics. With a big Thanks>

Southwest Airlines does not participate in the luggage direct program.

The Rotterdam is a co-flagship of Holland America Line. She is a beautiful ship, and sized a Goldilocks "just right."

Have no idea when the new cruise facility will open.

I cruised her early this year to Tahiti, had some plumbing issues, but I still wouldn't worry. Every ship has some issues and unless it's you, it won't effect your cruise. For every one who comes on CC to complain about their problems, there are more than 1,000 that cruised that same cruise without a blip. She's a beautiful ship, the food was good,and the intinerary was OUTSTANDING!

As I said, I would cruise her again in a minute. ( I would avoid cabin 7059;)) but maybe they've resolved the issues we had in our cabin.

I doubt the new cruise pier will be operational by February, but anything is possible. I don't see how it matters, the existing cruise terminal is quite sufficient.

Southwest does not have a luggage deal with HAL. That said, for a few bucks worth of tip (several times over), you could tip a skycap at the airport to pick your stuff off the conveyor, take it to a taxi, tip the taxi driver to take it out of the car and hand it to a porter at the pier, and tip the porter to make it go away. $1/bag for each guy would be less than $10 and be a pretty slick solution.

is scheduled to open in December, right "next door" to the existing terminal...which is then scheduled to be re-done. We have not been on the Rotterdam but have enjoyed HAL when we have sailed the Ryndam and the Oosterdam R/T out of SD to Mexico. LuAnn

The new Broadway Terminal opens December 22nd. Only a few ships are scheduled for the new pier, most will still be turned at the B Street facility. Here is the tentative list for the BT.

Rotterdam Dec. 22, Jan. 3

Zaandam Feb. 6, Mar 27, and April 10

David

Archived