Laptop on board

Threechicks

Is a wireless password required to use your laptop on board?

The internet is not 'free' for everyone so you will have to sign in when you use the 'wireless' connection.

Even if you qualify for free internet you'll still need to sign in each session.

There isn't a special password for wireless. You sign on the same way as you do for regular internet. There is a special way to sign out (can't remember specifics, but, you'll see it when you log in.) The only difference we noticed using the laptop is that the signal was weaker/slower in our suite (guess it depends upon what your suite is) and the signal was lost more often. It is a good idea to type your message in Word and copy it into your email so you don't lose it.

Yes, you have to sign up for an account first. Go to the computer room and talk to the techie in charge. If you have Silver status or above (21 nights or more), then they will sign you up for a plan anyways, they just won't charge you for it. Then you can use the wifi anywhere it's available, but you still have to log in every time, and log out at the end of your session.

One of the nice things about having your own laptop is that you'll be familiar with your own tools so you can indeed write your text elsewhere before pasting it into your mail or webpage.

Yes, you have to sign up for an account first. Go to the computer room and talk to the techie in charge. If you have Silver status or above (21 nights or more), then they will sign you up for a plan anyways, they just won't charge you for it. Then you can use the wifi anywhere it's available, but you still have to log in every time, and log out at the end of your session.

One of the nice things about having your own laptop is that you'll be familiar with your own tools so you can indeed write your text elsewhere before pasting it into your mail or webpage.

I've never spoken to the techie. . . . just signed on like normal. I'm trying to remember when Regent finally changed their software to recognize Silver and above passengers so we didn't have to sign up for a plan. In the past I'd run low on minutes, have to add minutes, etc. and not receive a bill at the end. Now, the minutes are endless. I will miss that soooooo much on our SS cruise.

Thanks TC and Wendy. When I was on the Navigator in January I didn't have to "buy" any time. It just logged me in. I assumed the login had been changed so was surprised on the Voyager in May that I had to go back to "buying" time. Of course I wasn't charged but would have thought the change would have been fleet wide. As long as it's free I don't mind.

That's weird, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I thought we had to sign up last December on Voyager. Yes, this would be nice if you didn't have to sign up.

I'm most likely to have a laptop with me in December--is the wifi reliable in the deck 6 mid-ship standard cabins, or not?

Logout = http://1.1.1.1 or just 1.1.1.1 in the browser bar

J

Wendy, I did not have my netbook on our December cruise last year. The first time I used it was on the Alaska cruise in May. The netbooks are notoriously slow, so, a couple of times I took it into the computer area, sat down on a comfortable chair to get the good signal. My guess is that your suite is in a perfect position to pick up Wifi since it's above the internet cafe.

When I was on the Navigator in January I didn't have to "buy" any time. It just logged me in. I assumed the login had been changed so was surprised on the Voyager in May that I had to go back to "buying" time.

Voyager in July had the normal login (tells you on the home page...a combination of your suite number and your name as I recall). Thereafter, no "purchase" of packages as before. Actually, there is a slight downside to this. They cut off the Internet for pay-as-you-go (which is apparaently how the free Internet for Silve and above is treated) as of late the night before the cruise ends. In the past, if you had "purchased" unused minutes they were available on the disembarkation day.

Still a whole lot nicer than purchasing Internet as we had to do recently on Silversea.

Wendy, I did not have my netbook on our December cruise last year. The first time I used it was on the Alaska cruise in May. The netbooks are notoriously slow, so, a couple of times I took it into the computer area, sat down on a comfortable chair to get the good signal. My guess is that your suite is in a perfect position to pick up Wifi since it's above the internet cafe.

Thanks Jackie! What do you mean that netbooks are notoriously slow? Do you mean that their wifi is slower than usual? I don't own one yet, but may by December. I'll certainly check to see, the ones I'm seeing are all 802.11b/g/n.

Thanks Jackie! What do you mean that netbooks are notoriously slow? Do you mean that their wifi is slower than usual? I don't own one yet, but may by December. I'll certainly check to see, the ones I'm seeing are all 802.11b/g/n.

Hopefully the netbooks are getting better. Does the "802.11b/g/n" refer to Wifi? I purchased a basic Toshiba netbook (around $300) last November. At that time, they all seemed to be 1.66 GHz. Our two computers at home are Dell but their netbook had one of the worst batteries. My Toshiba can go 8 hours on a battery charge -- the new ones are around 11 hours. Dell was around 2 1/2 - 3 hours. The only reason I purchased it was for the ship and it works okay. . . but, when you add the slowness of the ship's internet to the slow netbook, it is rather like a snail:-)

Does the "802.11b/g/n" refer to Wifi?

Yes, it refers to the different types of wireless connections it will work with and b/g/n covers all you will need.

For internet use never worry about the speed of a netbook as the slowest link in the chain will always be the internet connection itself.

Yes, it refers to the different types of wireless connections it will work with and b/g/n covers all you will need.

For internet use never worry about the speed of a netbook as the slowest link in the chain will always be the internet connection itself.

Thank you! I guess mine is out of date in spite of it being exactly one year old. I finally found the specs on it. . . the wireless is 802.11 b/g. Still, the slowest link in the chain for me is always on the ship:confused:

Thank you! I guess mine is out of date in spite of it being exactly one year old. I finally found the specs on it. . . the wireless is 802.11 b/g. Still, the slowest link in the chain for me is always on the ship:confused:

Don't worry about not having 'n' you'll find very few public services offering connections that fast, but newer routers at home may have it of course.

We've just returned home from the Athens-Barcelona cruise on the Voyager (Oct. 27-Nov.8) and have some of the info on the wi-fi.

We were in a Voyager suite (823) and the satellite signal was intermittent, depending on location. The tech told me to look at Fox News on the t-v and the quality of the picture would give me an idea of how good the wi-fi connection would be.

As previously mentioned, you set up an account and then log in using your name, suite number and password (that you choose); log-out is by typing 1.1.1.1. in your browser.

We purchased 800 minutes for $200 (25¢ per minute), since we both had our laptops and use them regularly; this is the best price package offered. I ended up purchasing another 250 minutes for $87.50 (35¢). Highest rate is on an as you use it basis at 75¢ a minute.

Mike

Archived