Minor Travel...Can I do it?

bucahenze

My friend and I, both 18, are planning on doing a cruise on Liberty of the Seas in June 2011 in Europe. I believe that Royal Caribbean does not allow travel of minors without a 21 year old and I would like to travel with my aunt. Would we have to stay in the same room or could we do adjoining rooms or something along those lines? We would love a room to ourselves, this is why I am asking. Thanks!

Thanks everyone, really reassuring. One of my friends was telling me I couldn't so I naturally freaked out and came on here. :p Thanks, I am really excited!!! Anybody been on Liberty of the Seas recently? How was it?

No they can't , they need the letter if traveling with a non parent

If both are over 18, I don't think the parents can say yea/nea about going on a cruise. RCCL may want an adult in the cabin or an adjacent cabin. At 18, the "kids" are no longer legally kids so parental permission is not required. RCCL rules on young cruisers apply but requiring a letter would be kind of out of place since the "kids" are adults and the parents would really have no authoirty to sign a letter about what the kids do.

If both are over 18, I don't think the parents can say yea/nea about going on a cruise. RCCL may want an adult in the cabin or an adjacent cabin. At 18, the "kids" are no longer legally kids so parental permission is not required. RCCL rules on young cruisers apply but requiring a letter would be kind of out of place since the "kids" are adults and the parents would really have no authoirty to sign a letter about what the kids do.

Yeah i am pretty sure thats right. I don't understand any logic on why a parent letter is needed for an 18 year old. The only problem i see is that the probably need an adult on the cruise with them (because of RCI policies).

She said her aunt is going and I see no problems then.

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

(This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.)

Q: What if I'm traveling with a minor and I'm not the parent or legal guardian?

A: doesn't matter

you are not a minor. all u need is someone 21 or over to book with and then switch at guest relations after you are onboard. Since 1995, a minor is legally defined as a person under the age of 18 (USA) and RC follows usa laws.

Actually, I don't think a letter is needed for an 18 year old....they can sign a contract and cruise without parental permission!
No they can't , they need the letter if traveling with a non parent

SueL did you get a permission slip from your parents on the last cruise you traveled without them? Probably not cuz you're 18 or over :D

If it is JUST the aunt and two 18 year olds, "switching" won't work. If they book two cabins, only one would have the adult in it. The other cabin would have one 18 year old. Or you book the aunt as a single and the two 18 year olds together in the first place.

I believe that RC does have different rules depending on whether the adult is the parent or not.

Therefore, even though they are 18, there may need to be some kind of letter asserting legal guardianship by the aunt for the purpose of assuming responsibility for the 18 year olds. (which is the reason that they aren't allowed to book and sail on their own - RC wants an adult to be legally responsible for them)

SueL did you get a permission slip from your parents on the last cruise you traveled without them? Probably not cuz you're 18 or over :D

But I am over 21, and those girls aren't so if they get denied for a the lack of a little letter then it would be pretty sad, way better to be over prepared then under, it is different if they were sailing with a parent not an aunt and the friend is not blood relation at all.

So, if two 18 year olds are married to each other they can book a cruise. But an 18 year old who is no married cannot book a cruise? What kind of sense does that make?

And they must bring a marriage certificate so even if they were married a young couple under 21 could not sail for their honeymoon because most marriage certificates are not received until weeks after the wedding.

So, if two 18 year olds are married to each other they can book a cruise. But an 18 year old who is no married cannot book a cruise? What kind of sense does that make?

OB, there is an assumption (misplaced, perhaps) that two people who have made a decision to marry are more mature than just two random 18 year olds.

OB, there is an assumption (misplaced, perhaps) that two people who have made a decision to marry are more mature than just two random 18 year olds.

Ok, I won't bother posting the old saying about what happens when one assumes....... But I do like that "misplaced" modifier.

If it is JUST the aunt and two 18 year olds, "switching" won't work. If they book two cabins, only one would have the adult in it. The other cabin would have one 18 year old. Or you book the aunt as a single and the two 18 year olds together in the first place.

100%, true, they will need another person >21.

Therefore, even though they are 18, there may need to be some kind of letter asserting legal guardianship by the aunt for the purpose of assuming responsibility for the 18 year olds. (which is the reason that they aren't allowed to book and sail on their own - RC wants an adult to be legally responsible for them)

At 18 you are legal responsible for your self, no guardian needed, if not, why don't we all get permission slips from our parents? No where does it say "guests under 21 need slips".

I personally believe this policy is to stop a ton of 18-20 year olds from flooding the boat. After all, they don't drink and thus don't generate on-board revenue!

But I am over 21, and those girls aren't so if they get denied for a the lack of a little letter then it would be pretty sad, way better to be over prepared then under, it is different if they were sailing with a parent not an aunt and the friend is not blood relation at all.

true, but you're mixing up the two policies. 0-20 needs a 21 or over in room (unless blah blah blah). Minors (0-17) need permission slips if the person in their room is not a parent.

Ya they should get a slip forsake denied boarding.

true, but you're mixing up the two policies. 0-20 needs a 21 or over in room (unless blah blah blah). Minors (0-17) need permission slips if the person in their room is not a parent.

Ya they should get a slip forsake denied boarding.

And the aunt is not even going to be in their room, the letter won't hurt to have.

Not just married 18 year olds but any 'underage' married couple (16,17 etc)

The explanation is simple...

How do you tell a married couple <21 years old who share a bed together every night that they cannot share a cabin together on a cruise :D

Archived