Thinking about Carnival Legend for Christmas Cruise and hubby thinks I am crazy!

Scarlette

First the background, Me (45) DH (49), DS(13) DD (11) have been on 5 or 6 cruises. Mostly Disney and Royal Caribbean. I was on Carnival once with a few friends a few years ago. Anyway, I am looking into booking something last minute for the week of December 19th. The RCCL prices are so expensive. DH said he would rather stay home than go on a Carnival ship, I am trying to tell him it's not bad at all. Sooo, has anyone been on both Carnival and/or Carnival Legend vs. a Royal ship?

We were on the Legend during its inaugural (or close to it) season. Had a great time. Ships are much different that Royal ships but a little variety never hurt anyone. We are partial to Royal, but will be cruising the Med on the Carnival Magic this summer, saving $3000 from the same cruise on the Brilliance (for 4 of us in a balcony cabin).

Go for it! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

We used to be "loyal to Royal" but we, like you, wanted to book a quick, last minute get away, so we booked on the Carnival Ecstasy and were very happy with the choice.

So Happy that our next 2 cruises are on Carnival.

Sooo, has anyone been on both Carnival and/or Carnival Legend vs. a Royal ship?

I was on Carnival Legend in 2008 and have been on one other Carnival cruise and numerous Royal ships.

On the Carnival Legend, the dining room service was so horrible the first night that we ate in the alternative restaurant the rest of the week. Wait staff made no introductions, just wanted our order. Had to request a wine list 3 times. Wanted it again to order another bottle and never got it despite numerous requests. Never offered dessert menu or dessert. Water not refilled. I do realize that could happen anywhere on any given night, but once was enough for the 6 of us. Otherwise, it was a standard cruise. Nothing terrible, but nothing worth writing home about. To be fair, I read stuff here on CC all the time where someone complains about how terrible their Royal cruise was, but ALL of my have been fantastic. YMMV

Haven't sailed with Carnival since 2003 when we were on the Conquest which we thoroughly enjoyed. However, friends of ours were on the Legend last year and were not particularly impressed. Nothing horrendous but not great also.

Given the choice between the two lines, I would pick RCI every time.

Ya know, my first cruise was on Carnivals oldest and smallest ship and had an absolute blast. The ship was definitely "dated" and had a few problems but that didnt ruin my trip at all. In fact, if nothing else, that old gal was what got me hooked on cruising. I have never understood the "would rather stay home than sail on so and so cruiseline......" from somebody that has never even sailed on so and so cruiseline but to each their own. :)

I have no idea about the "newer" ships but to me at least on the old ships, Carnival and Royal are much more alike than they are different. I would rate the service as the same, the food a little better on Carnival and the ship decor MUCH better on Royal.

I say if the price is right and you like the itenirary then go for it! Im going with Royal Caribbean next and probably next after that but I would not hesitate one bit to book another Carnival cruise.

I use to be a Carnivore Loyalist having sailed with them for years I am now exploring RCCL and i am enjoying this company But that wouldnt keep me from sailing with Carnival again

I still think food is better on Carnival ships also unless your in a suite the cabins are bigger the beds are defiantly more comfortable on Carnival whoever designed a curved bed for a ship wasnt very tall

I am delighted by the customer service on RCCL it is how Carnival use to be

I would tell your hubby that he will have a great time and that your cruising with Carnival next time

I will never do another carnival cruise after what happened in june on valor. My son fell and hit his head and broke a tooth, briused both elbows and forarms and got the worst medical care i have ever seen. The nurse was very incompetent and rude. Oh and if you do go take your own antibiotic cream because if you get hurt and need stitches they wont give you any. They will also try to kick the parent out of the room so you cant see the crappy job they are doing. They cant recognize a concussion if its sitting right infront of them, Even if the parent points out the posibility if one since the child remembers nothing of the accident until another child sat him up. I now know why they are cheaper- the help is paid what they are worth - very little. (Oh , incase someone says i was just a parent overreacting I will say i have worked in the ER for 17 years and am pediatric advanced life support certified.) which the nurse there evidently wasnt

I will never do another carnival cruise after what happened in june on valor. My son fell and hit his head and broke a tooth, briused both elbows and forarms and got the worst medical care i have ever seen. The nurse was very incompetent and rude. Oh and if you do go take your own antibiotic cream because if you get hurt and need stitches they wont give you any. They will also try to kick the parent out of the room so you cant see the crappy job they are doing. They cant recognize a concussion if its sitting right infront of them, Even if the parent points out the posibility if one since the child remembers nothing of the accident until another child sat him up. I now know why they are cheaper- the help is paid what they are worth - very little. (Oh , incase someone says i was just a parent overreacting I will say i have worked in the ER for 17 years and am pediatric advanced life support certified.) which the nurse there evidently wasnt

Sorry to hear that. I honestly would not want to have to go to ANY medical facility on ANY cruise line for anything major.

Are the staff down there actually even licensed "Doctors" or "Nurses" ?

I just hope and pray I never have to go and try to be as careful as possible. If I do, Im totally at their mercy and will deal with it if that time ever comes.

We were on the Carnival Legend for spring break, 2009 and we also booked last minute (30 days before sailing - the price was right). That was our first Carnival cruise (we had previously cruised with NCL, RCCL and Celebrity). Because we booked so late, we ended up with anytime dining. The service in the dining room was awful; the food was average (no better or worse than RCCL). The ship itself was okay at best (showing lots of wear and tear). The kids program was very good. Overall, we had a great time (loved the itinerary). I have since sailed on RCCL again (for a total of 2 cruises so far with RCCL). Given a choice, I would choose RCCL over Carnival. The ships are nicer and the service is better. Hope this helps.

First the background, Me (45) DH (49), DS(13) DD (11) have been on 5 or 6 cruises. Mostly Disney and Royal Caribbean. I was on Carnival once with a few friends a few years ago. Anyway, I am looking into booking something last minute for the week of December 19th. The RCCL prices are so expensive. DH said he would rather stay home than go on a Carnival ship, I am trying to tell him it's not bad at all. Sooo, has anyone been on both Carnival and/or Carnival Legend vs. a Royal ship?

Well, the price on the Adventure of the Seas is pretty close to Legend, but most of the other ships in RC's fleet either ARE much higher or are sold out, if you are looking for a balcony cabin for 4.

Legend is a Spirit class ship which is generally the prefered class by many on these and the Carnival boards. It is newer than the old Fantasy ships but doesn't have the sometimes overly complicated layout of the Conquest class. I love cruising, not necessarily the line, and would definitely take Carnival over nothing. ;)

Archived