Would you leave kids in a stateroom?

blondi_21

We're going on a family trip with my husband, my 16 month old (time of sail), my sisters (9&10) my parents. My younger sisters are really good with my child. He adorables them and they him. We live states away from them so we dont see them often but he always reminds them but not my mom. lol. Anyways, my question is. Would you leave your 16 month old with the 9 and 10 yr old in a stateroom alone?

I wouldn't leave a 9 and 10 year old in a stateroom alone and I definitely would not leave them alone with a 16 month old. Sorry but that is just far too young to be left unattended and provide babysitting services. I'm sure they are good girls, but they are still children.

No...I wouldn't. 9 and 10 are too young to protect a baby and they are too young to take care of themselves alone. Cruise ships are small cities, there is a possibility of dangerous characters.

The 9 and 10 year old should not have to be in charge of another child. They should be enjoying the camp and being children. No matter how much they love taking care of him, they are children. They can always help, making your lives easier and really good for teaching them responsibility. They should be in an adults present.

Can't the grandparents help one night?

Some few ships have babysitting for younger than 2 at additional cost. Maybe you can look into that for a couple nights.

BTW, not trying to be hurtful. You asked, so this is my opinion and I also would hate for something bad to happen to any of the children.

I was widowed when my oldest was 10. He was only left in charge at that age, with the house alarm on, for a maximum of 20 minutes when I had to run to the pharmacy for medicine. There is a BIG difference in maturity between 10 and 11 or 12. I would wait another couple of years before leaving them alone.

Hi. Sounds like you're going to have a fun family vacation. Here's how I look at it. Even at home, a 16 m/o could get into a lot very quickly and although the girls might be quite capable...

It's the ocean, and swimming pools, and strangers, and the OCEAN.

The ship is huge with hallways that cause many adults to be confused and lost. The doors can close and someone is locked out. Just. Like. That.

The cabins are tiny with furniture with corners just made for "ouchies" and it's not easy for little ones to reach the peepholes in the doors to see just who is there asking to come in.

In case of a ship's emergency, then what?

No, I wouldn't do it.

Nope.

A 16 month old is a handful for anyone, for one thing. I'm not 100% sure I'd want to be left in charge of a 16 month old that I didn't see often in a ship's stateroom.:rolleyes:

When my oldest daughter was 10, I would have maybe considered it in a pinch, for her baby brother who she was used to "handling" on a daily basis. But only at home (childproofed, for the most part), where there's a phone with 911, and familiar neighbors that could be called on (and trusted) in case of emergency.

the issue for me wouldn't be if they would probably be ok. If the 9 & 10 years old were experienced with watching kids often. If they were really mature for their age. If your 16 month old would be asleep. If they had done it before. If you were 99% sure that they would sit in the room and watch tv doesn't matter.

the issue is the 1% chance that an accident might happen in room. or that they might leave the room.

even if it very unlikely you have to think about that and whether its worth that small risk. and how could you have fun worrying about them anyways?

We're going on a family trip with my husband, my 16 month old (time of sail), my sisters (9&10) my parents. My younger sisters are really good with my child. He adorables them and they him. We live states away from them so we dont see them often but he always reminds them but not my mom. lol. Anyways, my question is. Would you leave your 16 month old with the 9 and 10 yr old in a stateroom alone?

Absolutely not!

NO WAY. I don't think a ten year old child is old enough to watch younger children.

I would not allow my 10 year old to watch a 16 month old by herself in a cabin. Yes, I have left her alone in a cabin so I could run and grab a cup of coffee. I would never expect a 10 year old to be responsible for another child.

Camp Carnival For children under 2 years old :

Sea days : 12pm to 2pm (you can either stay with your child for free or leave them for 6$ per hour)

Port days : 7am to 12pm (hours are subject to change on port days depending at what hour the ship arrives to port) (6$ per hour)

Every night : 10pm to 3am (6$ per hour)

I hope you are kidding and this question is a joke!

Think back to when you were 10. You're on a cruise and wanting to have fun. How would you feel if you were "stuck" babysitting? I know I would be major hacked off.

But besides that, it's a very bad idea to leave kids alone in a cabin. Do you realize that anyone with a passkey can get into that cabin? Do you realize that even cruise ships have pedophiles as crew members? What if there were an emergency like there is now on Carnival Splendor and you weren't anywhere near the kids or your cabin? Do you think kids that young could handle an emergency? Again, it's a terrible idea to leave kids alone in a cabin or hotel room.

You know those door ways down the long hallways that can split the halls in sections. During an emergency such as fire they are designed to be be closed and locked. This is to keep fire from spreading. There is no way around them. How would you feel if your child was on the other side of one of those doors with out an adult that is not a stranger. I would not leave my six year old with a 9 and 10 even if he is sleeping. I would question leaving him with a 16 year old. So the answer is no.

Not in a million bajillion years. Even if the baby wasn't with them. No.

You do realize that in the US, some state laws prevent kids under 12 from staying home alone? It's under child endangerment laws. :(

So on a cruise ship, I wouldn't be trying something that is illegal for me to do at home. ;)

Archived