Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

So why should Carnival refund your Airfare?

Southwest will give you a credit and Carnival would refund your cruise fare - what more do you want?

Sometimes things just happen and it can be unfortunate but why do people always want $$$ from someone?

I am not asking for more..!!!!!

Just my guess, from 4 weeks minimum to possibly as long as 3 months before Splendor sails with passengers. :eek:

This is just terrible. I want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with everyone on the Splendor.

Our Splendor cruise is 12/5/2010. We booked this cruise last Feb. If the Splendor is unable to sail will Carnival refund our credit cards so we can book another cruise? I was so ready for a vacation.

Southwest will give you a credit and Carnival would refund your cruise fare - what more do you want?

Sometimes things just happen and it can be unfortunate but why do people always want $$$ from someone?

If you had read the previous posts, you would see that bmaintz did not realize that "non-refundable" on Southwest meant that he could get a credit for the airfare. In general, when a cruise is canceled this close to departure, Carnival (RCL, NCL, etc.) will not only refund or reschedule the cruise fare, but will usually give an allowance for any change or cancellation fees charged by the airline since the cruise line, not the passenger, is the one canceling the trip. In this case, there won't be one, but bmaintz did not realize that. He now does. All he is asking for is to be made whole. He is not asking for any more than that. Cut him some slack.

If you had read the previous posts, you would see that bmaintz did not realize that "non-refundable" on Southwest meant that he could get a credit for the airfare. In general, when a cruise is canceled this close to departure, Carnival (RCL, NCL, etc.) will not only refund or reschedule the cruise fare, but will usually give an allowance for any change or cancellation fees charged by the airline since the cruise line, not the passenger, is the one canceling the trip. In this case, there won't be one, but bmaintz did not realize that. He now does. All he is asking for is to be made whole. He is not asking for any more than that. Cut him some slack.

THANKS...

Going to bed, will check everything in the morning with a pot of fresh coffee...:p

There are 8 of us booked on the Splendor for the 28th. For four of us it is our first cruise. We have been planning on this since January and have been counting down the days.

In regards to the incident on the Splendor. It was an accident that no one wanted. If worrying about travel plans and possibly having to book another cruise at a later time is someones biggest worry in life, they aren't doing too bad.

I feel fortunate that I am in a position I can go on a cruise, even if it means I and inconvienced and have to reschedule it. There are several people who cannot find a job, cannot provide food for their families, or are homeless, let alone go on a cruise.

Life will go on!!!!

There are 8 of us booked on the Splendor for the 28th. For four of us it is our first cruise. We have been planning on this since January and have been counting down the days.

In regards to the incident on the Splendor. It was an accident that no one wanted. If worrying about travel plans and possibly having to book another cruise at a later time is someones biggest worry in life, they aren't doing too bad.

I feel fortunate that I am in a position I can go on a cruise, even if it means I and inconvienced and have to reschedule it. There are several people who cannot find a job, cannot provide food for their families, or are homeless, let alone go on a cruise.

Life will go on!!!!

Jeiger Meister, I couldn't agree more. I feel really bad for feeling sorry for myslelf. I too am booked for the Nov 28th sailing. I was currently wrapping a noose around my neck until you brought things into perspective. Thanks :) EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON.

I wonder if Carnival will reposition another ship to take the place of splendor while it's being repaired? would make sense for them to do that.

I don't know what ship they would use, and what would they do with the people booked on that ship? I don't think that's going to happen.

Southwest's credit must be used (flights taken) within one year of the initial reservation.

If the person wants to take a replacement Carnival cruise at this time next year, the Southwest credit would have expired by then.

Just my guess, from 4 weeks minimum to possibly as long as 3 months before Splendor sails with passengers. :eek:

After reading the report on the Empress fire which was less severe, I agree. The Coast Guard could take a week to conduct their investigation. In the Empress fire not only were the engines damaged but a significant amount of controls in the engine room were damaged and destroyed as well as cables that ran above the engine room. The fire reflashed then and it wasn't declared out for over three hours. Even with that severe of a fire they were able to restore propulsion and never lost basic hotel systems. They made it back to port under their own power. This fire sounds worse. Add a week or more for towing to a shipyard that has the ability to conduct the repairs, then time for the repairs themselves. A minimum of four weeks and likely more.

After reading the report on the Empress fire which was less severe, I agree. The Coast Guard could take a week to conduct their investigation. In the Empress fire not only were the engines damaged but a significant amount of controls in the engine room were damaged and destroyed as well as cables that ran above the engine room. The fire reflashed then and it wasn't declared out for over three hours. Even with that severe of a fire they were able to restore propulsion and never lost basic hotel systems. They made it back to port under their own power. This fire sounds worse. Add a week or more for towing to a shipyard that has the ability to conduct the repairs, then time for the repairs themselves. A minimum of four weeks and likely more.

I feel really bad for those that will have their vacations ruined by this turn of events. I hope I'm wrong but it looks to be a long repair. :(

Boohoo they hurt maboat! I bet there are some italian engineers sweating bullets right now. This reminds me that as awesome and wonderful as they are, we can't take for granted that cruise ships or airplanes will always work flawlessly. Complicated machines sometimes throw us for a loop. I am glad no-one was hurt.

During debarkation from the last cruise on Carnival Splendor, the US Coast Guard ordered a snap exercise that required switching from main to auxiliary generators. As a result some services like the ship's elevators were out of action for 30 mins, greatly inconveniencing the 1,000+ passengers still waiting to debark. Hours later, a fire breaks out - in those very generators. Did the surprise exercise and the rush to restore service have something to do with the subsequent fire...?

how long is it going to take them to tow the ship back to port?

Probably another 6 to 8 hours before the tug arrives, then 6 to 8 hours to rig the tow, followed by a 30 - 40 hour voyage. Probably in Ensenada Thursday or Friday at best.

Probably another 6 to 8 hours before the tug arrives, then 6 to 8 hours to rig the tow, followed by a 30 - 40 hour voyage. Probably in Ensenada Thursday or Friday at best.

Holy cow ! I didn't realize it would take that long to get it to port.

I am trying to wrap my head around 3000+ people on a ship with no working toilets ? No A/C, no hot food - OK, that's certainly a problem but NO TOILETS ?? How on earth are they supposed to deal with that ???

I am trying to wrap my head around 3000+ people on a ship with no working toilets ? No A/C, no hot food - OK, that's certainly a problem but NO TOILETS ?? How on earth are they supposed to deal with that ???

Just a little giggle and lightness - we were once on a small power boat sailing past the Statue of Liberty. My then 2 year old daughter (she is now 22) had to go #1 - but there was no potty on the boat!:eek: Solution - held her over the water, and she let it go as we were sailing. (ala Michael Jackson's balcony baby) Don't think that will work for 99% of the passengers, but it is a thought...:p:D

Swimming Pools will be full.

Just wondering how they are handling the sanitation... seems like if they issued everyone a bucket to do their business in, they could easily dump the waste overboard and wash it out, keeping things sanitary.

People used chamber pots for centuries... nothing wrong about that.

If people continue to use non-functional toilets, the place would stink up to high heavens in a minute. I don't doubt that is the case.

The USCG arrived at 4:00 a.m. EST. The passengers and crew are in no danger. The ship is drifting 80 miles west of Baja California awaiting two ocean going tugs. When the tugs arrive the ship will be towed to Ensenada with passengers and crew aboard which is the safest way to proceed. It will take between 24 and 30 hours once the tow begins. There is no structural damage or flooding. No propulsion is available but they are working on generators which are providing basic services including sewage.

The master reports that everyone is safe and that food and other provisions are being provided.

Sorry if someone's mentioned this already, but:

the story was just on GMA, complete with video. They say that the tugs are on the way and it may take 2 days to tow her to port. They also say all the passengers are geting a full refund and a free future cruise.

How about getting married on the Queen Mary, right next door to where the Splendor docks. (Although I have no idea how much it costs, but it might be something to look into.) Then take the Monday sailing of the Paradise which also docks right at the Queen Mary.

That sound like a splendid idea!

I wonder if Carnival will reposition another ship to take the place of splendor while it's being repaired? would make sense for them to do that.

The problem is that Carnival has quite a few ships that cannot go through the Canal, meaning it is quite a journey to the west coast. It would have to be Spirit class or smaller. It doesn't mean that they won't do it, but I am sure it will depend on how long Splendor will be out. With so much speculation, I think it will be some time before it is known for sure.

Archived