Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

This is silly. I live 45 minutes north of Ensenada and there has been little or no cartel violence in northern Baja, except in Tijuana. Further, the cartels are fighting against each other for control, not terrorism! No tourists or foreign residents have been affected at all. Ever.

Ensenada has a nice port; it is the jump off port for a Carnival RT to Hawaii. To do that, they bus passengers back and forth from San Diego... happens all the time. This is a bonanza for the charter companies, who will take passengers from Ensenada, along the beautiful Pacific Ocean coastal highway in northern Baja back to Long Beach.[/quote

http://www.10news.com/news/16207362/detail.html

And this was in 2008...cant imagine what its like now. We have a motorhome and so wanted to do a trip to that area but no way would I do it now.

At this time of year, the west coast fleet services Mexico so they are in the area. And I know how pinched Carnival is making ends meet (witness the fire in the engine room).

But most of all, I want to interrupt all those life long dreams of taking an overnight cruise to Ensenada with Catalina thrown in as a bonus. Really, I do.

PS: Do you really think the war in Afghanistan is all that much different from the war in Mexico?

How pinched Carnival is in making ends meet???? are you joking????

are not Mexico and Afghanistan on different continents???

:confused:

Technically incorrect. There is no legal requirement that they allow you on to US soil until you can prove you are a citizen or have other legal access. If they cannot confirm your identity by other means (usually, they can), they do not have to let you in.

It RARELY happens, but it is at least possible. (I am trying to find an article, there was someone who was denied entry into the US here at PHL because his passport was stolen/misplaced on the plane and he had no other forms of ID, fingerprints not on file, and no one to verify residence (he didn't know his own SSN, even). He ended up having to stay in custody and was about to be sent back to the UK (how he would have gotten in I have no idea) when someone finally sorted it out.

Again, thats an extreme case, but those people on the ship with just a BC/DL should expect delays while those documents are verified, especially if they arrive at the border after normal business hours for their states.

You are exactly correct. Homeland Security/Border Patrol is required to allow you entrance into the US as long as you're a US citizen. They cannot prevent you from entering, even without documentation. It may take a little longer to establish your identity though without any docs.

It's going to be interesting to see how Carnival goes about this.

Maybe they should call Regent.

I'm wondering why the US Navy is sending ships. the Coast Guard is there already.

Gramps

It was the Coast Guard that asked the Navy for help.

Wouldn't Ensenada have some type of power to make the elevators work for the ship once docked? I would think they would do the same thing and take the luggage from the state rooms before docking and the passengers pick them up once off the ship.

Yes, but you never know if the ships power distribution was damaged during the fire. Also, perhaps the power supply to the elevators were. I expect the engineers will be pouring over the electrical diagrams for quite some time to see if the systems are safe to power back up. Better to be safe than sorry...

I suspect they have contingency plans for this, up to and including bringing longshoremen on board the ship to carry people down stairs in wheelchairs if needed. It would be horrid, but possible.

As to an idea someone mentioned, deck by deck debarkation would be the way to go, starting at the top, status doesn't matter. Of course, people will try to be idiots, but that can be managed. What I would find more of a challenge right now is distribution of information, no print shop and no idea if the onboard PA is included in emergency power.

Yes, but you never know if the ships power distribution was damaged during the fire. Also, perhaps the power supply to the elevators were. I expect the engineers will be pouring over the electrical diagrams for quite some time to see if the systems are safe to power back up. Better to be safe than sorry...

You are exactly correct. Homeland Security/Border Patrol is required to allow you entrance into the US as long as you're a US citizen. They cannot prevent you from entering, even without documentation. It may take a little longer to establish your identity though without any docs.

and who would have no docs? You needed them for the ship. If you've got a DL you are probably fine. They do usually want the passcard for land crossings but will still let you in with your DL.

Here's one...

party0052.gif :D

Ha! Thanks Sheri, you rock!!

Curious as to where all the people who flew in for this cruise will be put up until they can fly home. I'm just guessing it won't be the Ritz Carlton Laguna Nigel....

At least we're heading into some nice warm weather for Friday and Saturday.

Archived