Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

ABC10 - San Diego news report.

The caller said they have 2 tugboats - seas are calm and two coast guard cuters are on either side

Spam & pop tarts. Cell phones are working b/c they are closer to shore.

Iniside rooms are too dark to use so much people are topside. Most are in good spirits.

I doubt that the aircraft carrier could/would/should tow it. First of all, its propellers are not 'geared' to towing heavy loads, whereas tugs' props are design for pulling, not speed. This could cause damage to the nuclear engine which would be very expensive, and take a long time to repair.

Furthermore, if the carrier were to get it going, it would be very difficult to get the Splendor to slow down. It isn't like the Splendor has brakes, and you wouldn't want the two to collide.

Also, I doubt it would have a decent point to hook onto.

Great points!!!:o:D

I doubt that the aircraft carrier could/would/should tow it. First of all, its propellers are not 'geared' to towing heavy loads, whereas tugs' props are design for pulling, not speed. This could cause damage to the nuclear engine which would be very expensive, and take a long time to repair.

Furthermore, if the carrier were to get it going, it would be very difficult to get the Splendor to slow down. It isn't like the Splendor has brakes, and you wouldn't want the two to collide.

Also, I doubt it would have a decent point to hook onto.

I think you will find that all Naval vessels are designed to tow and be towed.

P.S. Threes no such thing as a nuclear engine.

Ever heard the phrase time is money? You think the Reagan just called off their training after helping the Splendor? Or do you think the training still had to get done and now they are behind schedule? Now the subs, helicopters and crew are out a little longer than anticipated right? And I'm sure they're not volunteering, so someone will have to pay for that time right? And dont the $$ to keep the subs and helicopters out a little longer

Yep, someone will pay - Carnival. They will no doubt be billed for the services provided. The crew is receiving training but not on tax payer's money. A good thing.

I imagine just the aircraft carrier and helicopters are going to cost Carnival about a million a day. The Coast Guard will also want their cut.

Correct, although fine control would be an issue on a ship of that size since the Splendor does not have the ability to stop herself and possibly can't even assist in steering.

I think you will find that all Naval vessels are designed to tow and be towed.

P.S. Threes no such thing as a nuclear engine.

Ever heard the phrase time is money? You think the Reagan just called off their training after helping the Splendor? Or do you think the training still had to get done and now they are behind schedule? Now the subs, helicopters and crew are out a little longer than anticipated right? And I'm sure they're not volunteering, so someone will have to pay for that time right? And dont the $$ to keep the subs and helicopters out a little longer

When human beings are stranded at sea as they are, I have no problem with any money spent on helping them. If I were on that ship, I would want all the help available out there to be helping us.

Then if none of these ships or subs or anything was helping, people would be posting, "Why isn't there more HELP out there!?"

So I would rather have the people on the Splendor getting as much help as possible from where ever they could get it from.:)

There is a difference between making the best of your situation and wanting to be put into this situation. For some reason there are people posting that living on pop tarts and spam for days would be a great thing.

It would be in that it would be an unusual experience in unusual circumstances

What a great opportunity to see our Navy at its best! And tomorrow is Veterans Day (It is USMC Birthday today). THANK YOU US NAVY for a great effort to help out the passengers on Splendor. God bless all involved in this unfortunate accident!

Great point! I would imagine that everyone takes solace from the fact that the Navy and the coast guard are on hand in case of any "additional" problems.

I feel sorry these passengers... I thought what it d be like if I was on the cruise with a disability in a power wheelchair, which my battery need to be charge about every night.. How about elevators? it sounds like wheelchair bound passengers would be stuck on a specific floor/ in the cabin if the elevators are not working..

They are not just serving spam and pop tarts...think about it guys!!!! geez!!!!!!!!!!!! Carnival is reporting that they have open bars..

We are hoping for Friday but expecting that it could go in to next week.

Just bummed as our money is tied up with Carnival and the options dwindle with every day that passes.

If you are that concerned then perhaps calling Carnival and letting them know that you would like a full refund (without any additional perks), so that you can make other arrangements, might be of an advantage to both parties.

You have a reasonable concern for your time, your vacation, and your safety that I am sure they will probably have to address.

Or you can wait it out and hope for the best. If it is cancelled they have already shown that they will be more than accomodating in your refund with the additional 25% off future cruise booking as they did with the group from the 14th.

If you are like some that do not always get vacation when you want then a call might be in order.

Great point! I would imagine that everyone takes solace from the fact that the Navy and the coast guard are on hand in case of any "additional" problems.

Not only that, but they're helping out a company that doesn't even pay any U.S. taxes, and spending 000's of $$$ doing it. The support mission will be classed by the USN as a 'training exercise'.

Did anyone see this from the current version of the Yahoo article?

Carnival first planned to haul the ship to the Mexican port of Ensenada, not far from a movie studio complex used to film "Titanic," and bus passengers to the U.S. But the cruise line decided they would be more comfortable on board, spokesman Vance Gulliksen said.

I didn't know Titanic was filmed in Ensenda.

But seriously I'm beginning to have some doubt about passengers being stranded on board being more comfortable than on buses on dry land. Especially from the reports from passengers that have gotten through.

it doesn't say booze is free or open bar, it says the bars reopened

"Fees have been waived throughout the ship, and Splendor's bars were reopened on Tuesday."

Mmmm.... I did see that initially. But are you saying there has not been a fee for booze on the ship before?

Please - There is no right or wrong answer to this never ending, incessant argument over how each person would handle this situation.

*Story Time - A different but somewhat fitting experience to the topic above*

My wife and I booked a room at the brand new, never been opened Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica a few years ago. We received a letter from Sandals a month before our scheduled date, stating that things had moved slower than expected and the resort was not up to their standards. I purposely went with this resort because I was able to save over 65% and was able to splurge on a butler room.

They gave us two options; cancel for a full refund (not air), or still come and put up with the issues and get another free trip (room only) at any Sandals resort to be used in the next 18 months.

We went and had a great time, sure there were issues. Some bizarre, like the lack of training for the wait staff and lack of furniture, or bad like the sewers backing up in the pool bathrooms. I heard reports that some didn't have hot water, others were missing hardware in their rooms...

We used our free trip to go to Sandals Grande in Saint Lucia, WOW.

Now the fact that we knew BEFORE we left for our trip, was a huge difference than what these folks are dealing with. I just dont know how I would handle this cruise situation. I would hope fine, but chances are my biggest issues would be cranky people.

I sincerely wish them all well, hope the seas stay calm and they make some lifelong friends.

We are booked on the Splendor for 1/23/11 and are looking forward to it.

Sorry but we have no idea how people are making the best of this situation; if at all. But for people to say they would willing take part in this is nonsense.

Nope not nonsense at all. I would love to of had this experience. That's part of what life is all about. Unusual experiences

Have you ever driven thru the border? Ever driven thru the border with many people without passports?......I would think it would be a little more then a normal delay in traffic;)

I've done the border into Canada right after 9/11, believe me it was bad.

Archived