Dress Code for Children

Is there a dress code for children in the MDR ? have cruised twice now with RCI and i didnt notice children in the MDR , this time my two grandsons aged 8 and 5 will be with me and i wondered if shorts is a no no .

Again, the answer is to be found on Royal Caribbean's website:

Life Onboard

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Please note ice skating on our Voyager Class & Freedom Class ships requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety. Capris and long shorts are permitted.

Also keep in mind that the MDR can get very cool.

Judi :)

Depends on the ship.

In August, the Oasis DEFINITELY was not over-air-conditioned ANYWHERE; sometimes it was quite warm.

In September, the Mariner was also not cold at all.

I have just managed to purchase my DD (who will be 6 weeks away from being 12 when we cruise) a stunning silk dress - rrp £110 - cost me £10 (I have an in with the wholesalers) She looks amazing and loves it. Hoping to get DS (who will be 1 week from being 13) a suit....... We have a couple of events before we cruise and they can wear these outfits to those too.

Really lloking forward to the opportunity for the four of us to dress up ;)

Just off Oasis today with a 3 & 8 year old. My little guy wore slacks and dress shirts on formal nights and polos with nice shorts on all other nights. He was well-dressed compared to some other kids his age. Young girls my daughter's age were always dressed nicely as was mine when she chose to dine with us. She preferred to eat earlier and go to Adventure Ocean in the evenings.

My son is 7 and we sail in a week. I made sure we are bringing him khaki pants and such for the dining room. I want him to look nice, which can be easy without spending a ton of money. Even though he usually wears shorts or jeans we are teaching him that having dinner in the dining room is a "special thing" and people dress nicer!

I also purchased one of those cute pants/tie/vest/dress shirt combos for formal night. They sell them at JcPenney/Kohls and you can get them for under $25 on sale. We are looking forward to "formal pictures"!

Children's Place sells some "casual pants" that would work well in the dining room with a collared shirt. They usually run $12 on sale and come in blue/khaki plus a few other colors. After the cruise they can be worn to school and such so it isn't like you are buying clothes that won't get a lot of wear!

When we were on the Mariner this spring my 9 year old and 6 year old wore collared shirts on the "casual" nights, and for formal nights they each had a pair of black dress pants, a black vest, white dress shirt, and a tie. They looked very sharp. I did not think putting them into a suit jacket was necessary. The rest of us (four adults) were definitely formally dressed, and smartly dressed on the casual nights.

When is your cruise?

We cruise on Liberty on the 16th April ,its interesting to see what others dress their children in , i have seen some '' chino '' trousers that i think will be suitable for the casual nights in the dining room , with a polo or short sleeved shirt , as for the formal night its a 5 night cruise so there will probably only be one of those and we might give that a miss , i have done two cruises with dh and have experianced the formal night so it wouldnt matter to me if we ate in the Winjammer that night and the boys will probably want to experiance a Winjammer evening buffet rather than a formal night .

We cruise on Liberty on the 16th April ,its interesting to see what others dress their children in , i have seen some '' chino '' trousers that i think will be suitable for the casual nights in the dining room , with a polo or short sleeved shirt , as for the formal night its a 5 night cruise so there will probably only be one of those and we might give that a miss , i have done two cruises with dh and have experianced the formal night so it wouldnt matter to me if we ate in the Winjammer that night and the boys will probably want to experiance a Winjammer evening buffet rather than a formal night .

Is that spring break week?

I will forewarn you that a thread on this very same topic several months ago caused a "great" debate and ended with the thread being locked. Many people feel strongly that the children MUST adhere to the adult dress code and others feel that the children are just that, Children, and will adhere to what their parents see fit.

I fit into the second category.

I will forewarn you that a thread on this very same topic several months ago caused a "great" debate and ended with the thread being locked. Many people feel strongly that the children MUST adhere to the adult dress code and others feel that the children are just that, Children, and will adhere to what their parents see fit.

I fit into the second category.

I agree as long as they are dressed well it's okay.....

I posted a similar question before out recent cruise. We have a 6 year old son and a 4 year old. We decided to adhere to the stated code but tried to make it as comfortable and functional as possible. Actually, there was no problems with my daughter. She wants to wear fancy dresses on all occasions. Our biggest issue with her was convincing her no tiara was necessary! For my son we went to Target and found inexpensive shirts. Cotton button down shirts with collars (short sleeve, and some hawaiin shirts) and soft cotton shirts with collars (mostly long sleeve). We packed khaki pants for him and also some soft slacks with elastic waists we found on sale at gymboree (not sweat pants, but they were comfortable for him.). This worked fine for them and they wore them to adventure ocean after they ate their dinner.

Hth,

Blanca

I posted a similar question before out recent cruise. We have a 6 year old son and a 4 year old. We decided to adhere to the stated code but tried to make it as comfortable and functional as possible. Actually, there was no problems with my daughter. She wants to wear fancy dresses on all occasions. Our biggest issue with her was convincing her no tiara was necessary! For my son we went to Target and found inexpensive shirts. Cotton button down shirts with collars (short sleeve, and some hawaiin shirts) and soft cotton shirts with collars (mostly long sleeve). We packed khaki pants for him and also some soft slacks with elastic waists we found on sale at gymboree (not sweat pants, but they were comfortable for him.). This worked fine for them and they wore them to adventure ocean after they ate their dinner.

Hth,

Blanca

Oh, Blanca, you shouldn't have discouraged her! I sometimes wear a tiara on formal night!!! ;) :p :D

Archived