? about formal nights

ljandiernp

I'd think the first formal night would be the next day (Feb 13 Th) which would be the first full day at sea and not the 14 Th.

I disagree on two counts. My experience is encountering a formal night, the second night out which happens to correspond to the 14th.

And come on folks - if there is a "special day" during a cruise, they are going to make it a formal night. You could bet your cruise fare that Feb 14 will be a formal night. Think of the heritage of this cruise line - they called it the Love Boat for a reason.

I disagree on two counts. My experience is encountering a formal night, the second night out which happens to correspond to the 14th.

And come on folks - if there is a "special day" during a cruise, they are going to make it a formal night. You could bet your cruise fare that Feb 14 will be a formal night. Think of the heritage of this cruise line - they called it the Love Boat for a reason.

It very well could be. It would increase the photo & wine sales for sure if they did make it on valentines day.

Flip a coin. With the port calls for this route (and we were on the 10/30 sailing), the first formal night was the first full day at sea, which happened to be the first full day of the cruise. It also happened to be Halloween, and that did some interesting things to formal night. Although they might have increased photo sales by changing the formal night to the second full day of the cruise (Grand Cayman day), they did not. Think about it - Halloween pics one night and formal pics the next - nope - formal night on Halloween.

The schedule of formal nights is at the discretion of the CD and the F&B bosses. Right now on the Crown that means the first full day of the cruise - Sunday - and Thursday night (another sea day). Changing that means changing menu rotation, cruise staff activities, etc. As I said, flip a coin!:)

Yup.....:):):)

Bob

They are not necessarily on sea days.
I agree. If it's a port-intensive cruise, it could be on a day when the ship leaves port before 5pm. I have never seen two formal nights in a row so if those are the only sea days, the other formal night will be on a port day.

I think I'll be happy to agree with this opinion and I have a beautiful, red, full-length formal dress to bet on that :D Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions! Laurie

It very well could be. It would increase the photo & wine sales for sure if they did make it on valentines day.

The sommelier told me that having wine tastings before formal nights increases the sales of those wines tremendously...they're pretty good on ways to market their product which is okay with me as a way to enhance our experience.

The sommelier told me that having wine tastings before formal nights increases the sales of those wines tremendously...they're pretty good on ways to market their product which is okay with me as a way to enhance our experience.

I was wondering why they changed the schedule to earlier in the cruises. :p

They also made an announcement at our last event to please keep the talking down a bit so other people could hear the talk. They must have gotten lots of complaints in the past.

We usually cut out after the first glass or two - we stay just long enough to get our complementary glass. ;)

I was wondering why they changed the schedule to earlier in the cruises. :p

They also made an announcement at our last event to please keep the talking down a bit so other people could hear the talk. They must have gotten lots of complaints in the past.

We usually cut out after the first glass or two - we stay just long enough to get our complementary glass. ;)

I have written to Princess in several post cruise comments how it would be good for their sales & for their passengers enjoyment to vary the type of wines in both types of wine tastings. The sommelier agreed with me & said he'd mention it to his superiors again because it's a common comment about their wine tastings.

It'd be a win-win situation with increased sales for more types of wine & would keep us more interested instead of the same ones over, and over again. :confused:

Some sommeliers are too detailed in their presentations with too much info...enjoyed my last one with a sommelier who was aware of this & made it shorter...and much more enjoyable. :D

Archived