She's looking good!

StanandJim

What you are seeing is a finished product, awaiting only furnishings, but covered with protective coverings. The picture of the Grand Bar has all carpeting, wall covering and millwork finished, only you can't see it. The next to last picture is that of a fireplace mantle with the covering peeled away.

What you are seeing is a finished product, awaiting only furnishings, but covered with protective coverings. The picture of the Grand Bar has all carpeting, wall covering and millwork finished, only you can't see it. The next to last picture is that of a fireplace mantle with the covering peeled away.

I am glad to hear that.

Oh, you're evil, S&J! :D Such small peeks, intended to get all of us more excited to see Marina as she emerges from her cocoon. Is it possible to salivate visually?

Seriously, thanks, guys. We appreciate the information. Marina somehow looks elegant, even wrapped in plastic.

Cheers, Kay

Chandelier is very impressive!

It's very pretty, but what is the railing underneath that appears to be a separate area? It seems like the chandelier is not centered over a dining area, but instead is partly over the railing. Optical illusion?

The rest of the room looks dark, even with the lights on the walls, but maybe there will be more lighting fixtures added.

I can't wait to see more pictures soon.

The Marinas' foredeck resembles the foredeck in the Photo that you posted.

6a0120a92e343a970b0133f4a41166970b-800wi

Because of its' location, forward on deck 6, there is a big block of crew cabins between the passenger accomodations and that deck.

b_230808.jpg

For that reason, I believe that the foredeck will be a crew recreation area. :) The crew pool will probably be there.

For that reason, I believe that the foredeck will be a crew recreation area. :) The crew pool will probably be there.

Or maybe they will have the anchor equipment there like on the current ships.

The Crew may not like having the passengers overlook them ;)

Lyn

Do you know whether passengers will be able to access the foredeck?

04-pancanal-slide.jpg

If we can access the foredeck, that would be great!

What a spot to have the sea breeze blowing through your hair. I would like that but this aerea will probably be off limits to guests.

Marion

Do you know whether passengers will be able to access the foredeck?

If we can access the foredeck, that would be great!

I wouldn't count on it! If you take a close look at the foredeck on any ship, note the coiled landing ropes, the chains to haul up the anchor and other obstacles.

Can't you just imagine some passenger stumbling over ropes or chains, or worse - accidentally setting off the lowering of the anchor!! What a mess - especially if the ship were tied to a dock!!

:eek:

I wouldn't count on it! If you take a close look at the foredeck on any ship, note the coiled landing ropes, the chains to haul up the anchor and other obstacles.

Can't you just imagine some passenger stumbling over ropes or chains, or worse - accidentally setting off the lowering of the anchor!! What a mess - especially if the ship were tied to a dock!!

:eek:

Yes, I have seen and been on many foredecks, and a good portion of them are just as I posted earlier, with lots of open space for passengers and no anchors or other such stuff in which one might get tangled:

04-pancanal-slide.jpg

3885341592_ca8c7647a2.jpg

A foredeck that passengers can access is a wonderful feature!

Be fair O&R, although certain ships may allow passenger access for portions of the odd voyage or two, those foredecks are not accessable on a regular basis.

If you enjoy a forward view, however, you might want to book one of those magnificent Deck 8 or Deck 10 Vista Suites:

002514.jpg005158.jpgwhich appear to have forward facing balconies on the order of Radio City Music Hall :D

Of course, if you wanted to hold the price down a bit, Cabins 8000 and 8001 will have the same views, at the cost of a B1.

Be fair O&R, although certain ships may allow passenger access for portions of the odd voyage or two, those foredecks are not accessable on a regular basis.

How is what I posted unfair? I don't get it. I didn't even complain about the Marina. You posted a picture of the foredeck and I said I hoped it would be accessible. How is that unfair? No one has said that the foredeck will be unavailable to passengers. Do you know something for certain, one way or the other?

It is precisely for those important "portions" of some voyages that the foredecks are opened up to all passengers, so that they may all view the Panama Canal, fjords, Glacier Bay (or other glaciers if Glacier Bay permits cannot be secured). Some ships have wonderful promenade decks that encircle a ship and one can always stop and view forward while on the promenade deck. Other ship designs keep forward (and aft) space available for all passengers.

I didn't even mention those. ;)

If you enjoy a forward view, however, you might want to book one of those magnificent Deck 8 or Deck 10 Vista Suites

which appear to have forward facing balconies on the order of Radio City Music Hall :D

Of course, if you wanted to hold the price down a bit, Cabins 8000 and 8001 will have the same views, at the cost of a B1.

I would not want to chance having a far forward cabin (suite or balcony) on most voyages (including Alaska and most others) because my husband and I don't like the pitching that can occur far forward during parts of many itineraries. We have never booked a far forward cabin in more than 20 years of cruising, but we have enjoyed many forward views on several ships that were designed to provide guests with forward access.

As with most passengers, the forward view is only "very" important for certain portions of certain voyages.

As you may recall, we are, like yourselves, among the "displaced" cabana people who would have had a forward view each day, but the cabanas are no more, and even they would not have had an "open air" view forward.

I do realize that compromises are often made for various reasons, but I would prefer it if the foredeck of the Marina were available during portions of certain voyages....the Panama Canal being a prime example. :)

Perhaps it was a mistake to make my last post so specific.

These are my thoughts on the possible use of the foredeck on the Marina:

#1) foredecks are generally a working area of the ship, and as such are not condusive to regular passenger traffic.

#2) With crews signing onto the ship for months at a time, it is essential that some outdoor space be relegated for their specific use.

#3) The architecture of the Marina puts large blocks of crew accomodations in between the passengers and the foredeck.

#4) The foredeck of the Marina appears to have a whaleback.

134956.jpg

Whaleback: (In Cruise ship jargon): The foredeck of a ship in which the bow or forward deck is sheltered by a rounded covering, so as to shed water and give a streamlined look.

For these, and many other reasons, I do not believe that the foredeck of the Marina will be open to passengers.

Unless you're Leonardo or Kate jandfonship.jpg

The spot I would like to see is a spot to see... the stars.

We live surrounded by so much light pollution it is difficult to find a spot. I fondly remember a childhood camping trip and looking into the night sky seeing bands and bands of stars I had never even imagined. Living in 'the city' I had of course seen pictures but that they were 'real' and I could experience this myself was amazing. Years later I was so disappointed when returned to the same place but could not escape the glow of some city or other lights on a horizon in every direction. All I could see was a few more stars than I could see at home (plus the satellites of course)

So on a previous Regatta crossing I was very much looking looking forward to bundling up on deck at night to view the starry night and imagine the sailors who made these crossings in wooden ships. However there was nowhere to escape the deck lighting.

I've read where some cruise lines even feature that this can be done onboard their crossings. It would be great if O set aside a small corner where can have a peek at the 'worlds' that surround us. A transatlantic crossing is a unique opportunity to experience this.

On Marina's Maiden voyage I will be checking out the nooks and crannies for possible viewing location. I'll post if I find one.

YoHoHo and tak2 :

If you find the perfect spot for star watching on the Marina please let us all know about it. I am sure we can get a small group together to gaze. I grew up in New York City and haven't done much star watching in Buffalo either.

Marion

Archived