Civility please

CrabbyHarper

I am really distressed by a current discussion on this board. There are some very serious issues to be discussed, and something to be said for both sides of the question. Why, why, why can't folks discuss the ideas instead of degenerating into hurtful name calling that does not clarify the issue at all? :(

I am really distressed by a current discussion on this board. There are some very serious issues to be discussed, and something to be said for both sides of the question. Why, why, why can't folks discuss the ideas instead of degenerating into hurtful name calling that does not clarify the issue at all? :(

Witch threads are you referring to?

Laurieb "got it"

1. Yes, most of the threads are informative, well-thought out, funny and great to read, but there are those exceptions and I won't name them because you know who you are.

2. This very civil thread, started objectively, for the purpose of getting some folks to think before they press the send button, generated a comment that some might think sexist and demeaning.

And that is my final answer on this question.

Go ahead cruisers, and debate amongst yourselves, but do try to keep it civil and objective.

Why, why, why can't folks discuss the ideas instead of degenerating into hurtful name calling that does not clarify the issue at all? :(

Human Nature. Mankind is a greedy,selfish ,self centered egiotistical creature that loves to create drama.

I think I know which thread you are referring to. I suspect that most of us won't ever meet up and for many that is an invitation to be mean and disrespectful. Anonymity can bring out the worst in some folks.

Amen !!!!

Srpilo

I agree with OP. I started reading this thread this morning (re. airport security NOT jeans in MDR btw) and was quite upset. I am surprised the thread has not been locked yet. Other threads that were much less divisive - or as serious a topic - have been shut down by the board moderators.( Don't read the referenced thread if you don't want to raise your blood pressure.)

Human Nature. Mankind is a greedy,selfish ,self centered egiotistical creature that loves to create drama.

What an indictement of yourself and the rest of humanity.

I happen to think that as a whole, humans are capable of the greatest self sacrifice and kindness. There are always exceptions to every rule but I will not judge the entire humanity by the actions of a minority.

That's why the incivility.

We Americans never held hands and sang songs, even in the "good ol days". We certainly had differences. Even fought a war against each other.

But despite those differences we did become one. E Pluribus Unum. Most of us came from all over the world, brought our best with us. Left the worse behind. We became a melting pot not just of races and creeds, but of ideas and attitudes.

Slowly that melting pot has gone away and become a mosaic. Many of us have picked our teams...which are starting to look like tribes. IMO we are at a point in time where Americans relate to each other at the LOWEST level in years. We also value each other as EQUALS at a very low level too.

Then add to that, more and more of us have, and will have language barriers. We're not encouraged to adopt a common language anymore, so even basic communication can't be taken for granted between us.

So, the "teams" we picked....are starting to look like tribes. Sure, we're not blowing each other up....yet. But I see more and more seedlings of 3rd world traits in how we conduct our nation's business, and discuss it with one another.

I'm certainly guilty of this too. I've got strong beliefs as I'm sure most of you do.

I just wish there was a way to dial it back a notch. To where whether you are a "yuppy New Yorker" or a "hick in alabama" or a "midwesterner" or a very cosmopolitan soul from Los Angeles, we could all relate to each other, and attest to each others vital contribution to the country.

I am so worried that one day, outsiders will EASILY be able to divide and conqeuor us from within. No different than what we see happening between "tribes" within nations that are hotspots these days.

Bottom line where it comes to discussing controversial things, I personally have my opinions. As do others. And there will be times where I DON'T LIKE what you say. BUT I SUPPORT YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT. And I hope you support the same for me.

But somehow we gotta make it less personal.

Most of us want the same thing.

Do we all want to support our families? Do we all want Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happyness? Do we want the same for our kids? Well by golly, then we do want the same end result, we just have different methods of getting there.

Somehow, we gotta get back to that point.

Red vs Blue? Yeah, that's us right now.

But we're all more PURPLE than we'd like to admit.

Not sure what you are talking about. Perhaps you could be more specific?

We just came back from a TransAtlantic on the Equinox and I have to say most of the people were great but there are some who walked around as though they were in a fog. It was all about them. :D

That's why the incivility.

We Americans never held hands and sang songs, even in the "good ol days". We certainly had differences. Even fought a war against each other.

But despite those differences we did become one. E Pluribus Unum. Most of us came from all over the world, brought our best with us. Left the worse behind. We became a melting pot not just of races and creeds, but of ideas and attitudes.

Slowly that melting pot has gone away and become a mosaic. Many of us have picked our teams...which are starting to look like tribes. IMO we are at a point in time where Americans relate to each other at the LOWEST level in years. We also value each other as EQUALS at a very low level too.

Then add to that, more and more of us have, and will have language barriers. We're not encouraged to adopt a common language anymore, so even basic communication can't be taken for granted between us.

So, the "teams" we picked....are starting to look like tribes. Sure, we're not blowing each other up....yet. But I see more and more seedlings of 3rd world traits in how we conduct our nation's business, and discuss it with one another.

I'm certainly guilty of this too. I've got strong beliefs as I'm sure most of you do.

I just wish there was a way to dial it back a notch. To where whether you are a "yuppy New Yorker" or a "hick in alabama" or a "midwesterner" or a very cosmopolitan soul from Los Angeles, we could all relate to each other, and attest to each others vital contribution to the country.

I am so worried that one day, outsiders will EASILY be able to divide and conqeuor us from within. No different than what we see happening between "tribes" within nations that are hotspots these days.

Bottom line where it comes to discussing controversial things, I personally have my opinions. As do others. And there will be times where I DON'T LIKE what you say. BUT I SUPPORT YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT. And I hope you support the same for me.

But somehow we gotta make it less personal.

Most of us want the same thing.

Do we all want to support our families? Do we all want Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happyness? Do we want the same for our kids? Well by golly, then we do want the same end result, we just have different methods of getting there.

Somehow, we gotta get back to that point.

Red vs Blue? Yeah, that's us right now.

But we're all more PURPLE than we'd like to admit.

This is a very thoughtful and provocative post. Thank you!!

Crabby and all ~ just a quick note. Anytime you see namecalling, people being rude, posts attacking another poster....those are all against our Community Guidelines that everyone agrees to when they join Cruise Critic. Unfortunately, Host Walt nor I can read every post on every board we moderate. That's where you come in. If you see a post that is rude, attacks another member, etc., please hit the red alert triangle and send us a message. We don't want posts with namecalling and attacks at all.

I'd also recommend to members that when you see these types of posts (and unfortunately, they do happen), you do NOT respond to them. It only encourages people to continue. Instead, just hit the red alert and we will get to it as quickly as possible.

And for anyone wondering, this was NOT a dress code thread so all of the posts discussing the merits of jeans/no jeans have been removed as they aer considered off topic.

Wishing everyone a HAPPY THANKSGIVING as we truly do have much to be thankful for!

Archived