RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I just want to clarify my earlier statement. I am by no means advocating dressing like a bum! I dress in the latest styles and am a total shop-a-holic! So when I say clothes I no longer want, it is by no means old or ugly. (Just trying to not sound like the spoiled brat that I am!:rolleyes:) I have closets and drawers crammed full of clothes so finding 7 outfits that I can do without is no problem. Sorry if I offend you by making it sound like I thought people should bring holey, paint stained, nasty crap! And you might be right about the stewards not wanting it. Maybe I'll take them and donate them at the port of call instead.

Not offended, just not understanding.

You said "faded, out of style". Maybe the homeless would appreciate.

I am all about carrying as little as possible so luggage is light.

I usually bring a new pair of flip flops, but they are so inexpensive that & I wear them out quickly (even at home) & I leave them behind. I have been known to bring socks on their way out too. I don't bring any "regimed" items: such as:

* The vitamin & supplement collection

* The 4 step facial routine

* Hair care irons & product-mania

* The entire cosmetic kaboodle

* Shoes for every outfit

JUST the standards & everything in a smaller sized bottle or ziplock EXCEPT for the sunscreen!!! I omit items that cannot be combined into multiple outfits.

I come with suitcases that are half full because I suffer so terribly from souvenir-Itis!!!

Edited by Pack My Bags

I'm having flashbacks to the drunk mom (I've talked about this before, but sometimes the number of super mommies who overindulge either as a celebration of leaving the kids at home or simply because they forget they haven't been out partying in many years and can't handle it like they used to is amazing.) we saw on one of the beaches one cruise who apparently said to herself "no swimsuit, no problem" and decided that her underwear was good enough to swim in.

She must have been on the same program of only bringing stuff so old and nasty that throwing it away after you wear it is the best option. Wow. I'm going to assume these things had been washed about 500x or so and they must have come from the $0.25 rack at Wal-Mart.

If you're the type to show items normally not seen by the general public, you should probably wear something nicer. ;)

Meh. I have shirts I don't really wear anymore that are still in good condition. I might have gained or lost a little weight where they no longer give me the look I'm aiming for, or I got it when I was in a "phase" (like my black phase...) that I'm just going to throw out anyway. Why not bring them on a cruise and then get rid of them once they're worn? I actually did that with a pair of sneakers on my last cruise, I didn't want them anymore so I wore them ATVing. I did have to leave a note with them because the cabin steward didn't empty the trash can they were in for a few days.

This thread is getting ridiculous. The ships don't want your old clothes, they also have limited trash capacity. If you intend to throw it out, do so after you leave

Yeeeeah. I'm going to pack mud encrusted shoes to throw away later. The only thing ridiculous is people crucifying someone for saying she brings old clothes to throw out and save packing space on the way back. Since the ships have limited trash capacity do you also tell all those who bring aboard bottled water or soda to save their cans and bottles to toss until they leave? Considering most ships go less than a week between ports, trash capacity isn't a concern.

Yeeeeah. I'm going to pack mud encrusted shoes to throw away later. The only thing ridiculous is people crucifying someone for saying she brings old clothes to throw out and save packing space on the way back. Since the ships have limited trash capacity do you also tell all those who bring aboard bottled water or soda to save their cans and bottles to toss until they leave? Considering most ships go less than a week between ports, trash capacity isn't a concern.

And folks deny that cruise ships are just becoming floating Walmarts.:rolleyes:

Burt

Here's a secret, don't overpack with your goodwill donations and you will have room for souvenirs. BTW, I seriously doubt you are privy to the trash capacity or lack of on a cruise ship

I just want to clarify my earlier statement. I am by no means advocating dressing like a bum! I dress in the latest styles and am a total shop-a-holic! So when I say clothes I no longer want, it is by no means old or ugly. (Just trying to not sound like the spoiled brat that I am!:rolleyes:) I have closets and drawers crammed full of clothes so finding 7 outfits that I can do without is no problem. Sorry if I offend you by making it sound like I thought people should bring holey, paint stained, nasty crap! And you might be right about the stewards not wanting it. Maybe I'll take them and donate them at the port of call instead.

Maybe I'll take them and donate them at the port of call instead.

That is the best way to handle stuff you no longer wish to take home with you. If it is in the garbage, it will be treated as garbage. Or, just donate it (in a good clean condition) to Goodwill before you leave home.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

OK, a sign that I have been on forums too long is when I start responding to the wrong forum.

You're going to laugh, but I was repsonding to a poster in the Carnvial forum asking if Carnival was really that bad. Sally and I have decided to try a Carnival and RCCL cruise again since we haven't been on either one in several years. So I have been bouncing back and forth between the two forums.

Anyway, I'm still laughing and a little embarrassed, but I was suggesting to the OP of "Is Carnival that bad" read the last page of this thread. :rolleyes:

Then I realized this is the Royal Caribbean forum. See, I said you would laugh. Imagine my embarrassment if I would have hit the return key.

OK, I see the sign, I getting off the forums for a while.

Burt

OK, a sign that I have been on forums too long is when I start responding to the wrong forum.

You're going to laugh, but I was repsonding to a poster in the Carnvial forum asking if Carnival was really that bad. Sally and I have decided to try a Carnival and RCCL cruise again since we haven't been on either one in several years. So I have been bouncing back and forth between the two forums.

Anyway, I'm still laughing and a little embarrassed, but I was suggesting to the OP of "Is Carnival that bad" read the last page of this thread. :rolleyes:

Then I realized this is the Royal Caribbean forum. See, I said you would laugh. Imagine my embarrassment if I would have hit the return key.

OK, I see the sign, I getting off the forums for a while.

Burt

I laughed. :)

I think the point of this thread was to talk about things unique to Royal Caribbean that are helpful to know. It's sort of turned into a "what should I bring" thread--of which there are plenty.

To get us back on track, I'm going to be on Brilliance on Saturday with my BF, who's a first time cruiser. What are three things we have to know?