When are upsell calls made?

susiesan

How close to final payments being due does O start calling to upsell and clear the waitlists of the lower priced cabins? My cruise is Feb. 25. so final payments have been made.

Who gets the calls first? Past passengers? Earliest reservation? People who post here on CC?

Susie in cabin 7066 (hint, hint, O reservation department)

How close to final payments being due does O start calling to upsell and clear the waitlists of the lower priced cabins? My cruise is Feb. 25. so final payments have been made.

Who gets the calls first? Past passengers? Earliest reservation? People who post here on CC?

Susie in cabin 7066 (hint, hint, O reservation department)

We were contacted about two months prior to departure. I have no idea why we were chosen (never happened to us before with other cruise lines), but based on what I've read, Oceania probably wanted our sub-concierge level balcony room for a group block of rooms. We decided ours was not to reason why. . .:D

Susiesan, I may be completely off the mark ...

But I think I read that they usually go to people who have booked Oceania's air. People who have their own reservations made usually don't have the flexibility to say "yes, I'll take your money" (assuming you want to take their money rather than getting a better cabin!).

When we did the Auckland-Sydney cruise in January 2008 people who were booked on the second leg to Bangkok got LOTS of offers. But anyone who'd booked their own air simply couldn't afford to accept the offer. Well, maybe if they were in first class ... I know that when I fly to LA from NY on Continental in biz, there is no penalty for changing a reservation (other than perhaps the fare having gone up or down, but when it goes down, I get a refund).

Don't you guys usually do your own air?

We received via our TA an upsell offer on our January 12th Regatta cruise one week after the final payment. The first offer was $750 per person to move from A1 to PH. A few days later, the second offer was $600 per. A week later, the offer was $500 per. I made a counter offer which was not accepted. We are looking forward to sailing again in our A1 midships cabin.

Don

exactly one week before our first O cruise, we were offered B2 to PH, first offer. We grabbed it at $350pp, and it turned out to be a PH1! We had booked 15 months prior.

My guess is that B2s are one of the the most requested cabins, as they are the lowest priced balconies; therefore I would think they probably get a lot of upsell offers.

Just my thinking...

Susiesan, I may be completely off the mark ...

But I think I read that they usually go to people who have booked Oceania's air. People who have their own reservations made usually don't have the flexibility to say "yes, I'll take your money" (assuming you want to take their money rather than getting a better cabin!).

When we did the Auckland-Sydney cruise in January 2008 people who were booked on the second leg to Bangkok got LOTS of offers. But anyone who'd booked their own air simply couldn't afford to accept the offer. Well, maybe if they were in first class ... I know that when I fly to LA from NY on Continental in biz, there is no penalty for changing a reservation (other than perhaps the fare having gone up or down, but when it goes down, I get a refund).

Don't you guys usually do your own air?

Mura;

I was referring to an offer from O to pay a bit more and be moved to a higher category cabin, not another cruise or a refund. I have bought my own air tickets to Miami and am going on the cruise no matter what. I was already offered money to cancel and change to an Alaska cruise but I don't want to go to Alaska.

Mura;

I was referring to an offer from O to pay a bit more and be moved to a higher category cabin, not another cruise or a refund. I have bought my own air tickets to Miami and am going on the cruise no matter what. I was already offered money to cancel and change to an Alaska cruise but I don't want to go to Alaska.

Yes, Susie, I realized after I posted that I was completely off the mark. I wish there were a way to DELETE posts rather than just edit them ...;)

We received via our TA an upsell offer on our January 12th Regatta cruise one week after the final payment. Don

Did your TA phone or email?

Our final payment date is DEC 1 (we are already paid in full), so I am hoping and praying that an offer will be coming soon. If it doesn't, it doesn't, but the cheaper categories are all sold out and there is lots of room in the more expensive ones, so our chances are good.

If they make you an offer to switch cruises, do they expect you to accept on the spot or give you, say, 24 hr? We are quite flexible, since we have booked Oceania air, but I would hate to have to say to DH "Oh, about our Caribbean cruise, dear, we will be going to Alaska instead."

If they make you an offer to switch cruises, do they expect you to accept on the spot or give you, say, 24 hr? We are quite flexible, since we have booked Oceania air, but I would hate to have to say to DH "Oh, about our Caribbean cruise, dear, we will be going to Alaska instead."

I think they want to know right then so they can move on to others that are willing to take the offer

Just a guess on my part

Lyn

I think they want to know right then so they can move on to others that are willing to take the offer

Just a guess on my part

Lyn

I can see their wanting an immediate response for an upsell, but when it comes to changing to a different cruise it would be nice to have at least a day to consider.

When changing dates one has to consult schedules, speak with pet care providers, etc. Not to mention, your travel companion should be consulted before a change of itinerary. They may not be happy about visiting the Arctic instead of Tahiti. :p

Just a guess on my part

Lyn

It is "first accepted first served" on those offers.

FYI If you used a Travel Agent then the upsell call goes to that agent.

Be sure that your TA knows what your instructions are if an upsell offer comes in.

Be sure that your TA knows what your instructions are if an upsell offer comes in.

So many people are reporting that they are receiving progressively better offers for this winter's cruises.

Our final payment date is Dec 1. I am wondering if I should wait a bit to hear on CC what offers are being made before I call my TA and authorize him to accept a specified amount. He already knows that I am hoping for a good upsell.

This is the first time we have ever booked a cabin that we did not WANT, but I really do like the amount we paid for it. :D If we have to "rough it", so be it. I won't be devastated if we receive nothing better.

What do they offer to those in Owners Suites, a down sell or a longer voyage???:confused:

O contacted us about one month prior to our sail date. They kept sweetening the pot and they gave us time to decide each time. We felt no pressure from them.

We switched from the Easter Med to the Western Med and changed our dates. We received an upgrade to PH1 from B1. We also received complimentary gratuities plus a $500 shipboard credit.

We did have O air booked...so not sure if that was part of the reason why we were selected.

We were flexible and we also wanted the O experience more than the ports. We landed up getting the best of the best. It will be hard cruising without a Butler from now on. :D

O contacted us about one month prior to our sail date. They kept sweetening the pot and they gave us time to decide each time. We felt no pressure from them.

We switched from the Easter Med to the Western Med and changed our dates. We received an upgrade to PH1 from B1. We also received complimentary gratuities plus a $500 shipboard credit.

We did have O air booked...so not sure if that was part of the reason why we were selected.

We were flexible and we also wanted the O experience more than the ports. We landed up getting the best of the best. It will be hard cruising without a Butler from now on. :D

You get to live in Vancouver AND you get the butler. Life is unfair.

I love to hear stories like this about wonderful upgrades. They allow us to dream. I would love to have a suite with a butler one day, but not badly enough to pay for it.

I have never gotten a FREE upgrade; any upgrades have always come with an additional price added on.

"O" offered us an upgrade from outside to CC balcony on our Marina cruise on 1-22-11 for an additional $600pp. This offer was made right after final payment - they are very overbooked. Their next offer was $300pp for a balcony cabin. I am still waiting for a cabin assignment. We have a "guarantee" and are not on a waitlist but we haven't heard anything yet about a cabin assignment.

I wonder if the upgrade fairy will visit us on the ship. I have my dfngers crossed. There are only 20 outside cabins on the ship and there are a lot of us on our CC thread for the Marina that are also waiting for cabin assignments.

Marion

We were never even offered anything, BUT, like yuo we DO know that we are guaranteed an oceanview or better. When do you think we will find out?

Could be anytime between final payment & the day of embarkation

Just check in the already booked section, your TA should notify you when you get a cabin assignment.

I would not worry you will get a cabin

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Could be anytime between final payment & the day of embarkation

Just check in the already booked section, your TA should notify you when you get a cabin assignment.

I would not worry you will get a cabin

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

I was excited to think that Dec 1 was our final payment date, but I guess the true date is 90 days before our March 9 cruise. I guess the TA imposes their own payment date to make sure all is in order before the real thing. I have heard of screw-ups where the person's payment was not processed correctly and they lost their cabin.

That being said, I can't wait until next week to see if we get any offers!

Lyn, how much snow do you have? Down the road only a couple of hours from you (London), we already have 55 inches. Schools have been closed for 2 days and a friend has just told me that the shopping mall in front of her house is shut down. When do shopping malls ever close for weather? :eek: Quite a punch for the first snowfall of the season.

Archived