Ryndam Anchor Drop Lands Man in Brig

prescottbob

They should tie him to an anchor, disconnect the anchor chain, and throw the anchor overboard. Bet that this would prevent him from doing anything stupid again.

DON

Gee, I think the ship would have been charged with dumping toxic waste!!

It's too bad that some folks discount Carnival as a trashy line, because a lot of people equate HAL to Carnival (and feel HAL is not as good as it is) due to it being the parent company. Not fair, the individual lines have their differences.
You're confusing Carnival Cruise Lines with Carnival Corporation & PLC, which is the holding company that owns Carnival Cruise Lines, HAL, Cunard, Princess, etc. Carnival Cruise Lines does not own HAL and is not the "parent" company. :)

I hope they throw the book at this idiot. Being drunk is no excuse for endangering the ship and lives of others.

The article states that he was wearing the same clothing he was photographed in - so apparently not.
No way to tell. The apparel he was wearing when photographed, at formal night and again by security, was found during a search of his luggage. This would then be highly unlikely what he was then wearing in his mug shot.

I love to go on HAL, so don't get me wrong......but part of me can't help but giggle since this story would make more sense if it were on Carnival. You don't see this kind of behavior with the HAL crowd. Thankfully no one got hurt.

what kind of activity did you encounter on carnival that mirrors this?

I love to go on HAL, so don't get me wrong......but part of me can't help but giggle since this story would make more sense if it were on Carnival. You don't see this kind of behavior with the HAL crowd. Thankfully no one got hurt.

Apparently you do.

We were on the Ryndam, near the aft and were awaken when the anchor was released. Quite a racket and shaking. Glad they found the guy. In speaking with cruise staff during the day they said they were looking for a "kid" - interesting if that was a ploy.

To the poster yesterday that mentioned it was likely one of the 120+ children on board and that a "little darling" did the damage I hope your eating your words. I thought the kids (with the parents supervision) were terrific on board.

It was a formal night and it is apparent that he was on his vacation and nobody could make him "Dress Up" and he never wears a tie anywhere anyway and if people can smoke then he can carry his own tray in the Lido and let go the anchor chain when ever he wants because...

Where do you get this? The 4th paragraph of the link states:

"......Ehlert was seen in the surveillance footage wearing the same clothing he was photographed in Friday while attending the ship’s formal night (for men, attire can range from a tuxedo to a jacket and tie). Ehlert is pictured in the above mug shot."

Says here he was following the dress code. The picture is his booking mug shot. Don't try to turn this into a dress code thread. :eek:

If I didn't read the article correctly, my apologies. But that's the way I read it.

Obviously you do see this kind of behavior on HAL. :rolleyes:

What does that mean exactly???? while I've only been on 2 cruises they are both Carnival......PLEASE Explain so I can understand your tone....

It is nice to know none of us will ever have the pleasure of cruising with this IDIOT on another vessel owned by Carnival Corp.I hope they charge him with an act of terrorism and it cost him about 10 of his RV's to get out of the mess.

Why just the Carnival Corp owned ships??:confused::confused:

What does that mean exactly???? while I've only been on 2 cruises they are both Carnival......PLEASE Explain so I can understand your tone....

What it means is that (and I address this in a post I added to this thread this morning) HAL people are so much better than Carnival people, at least according to those who have probably never been on a Carnival ship...:rolleyes:

I am a Mariner, but I am also platinum with Carnival..... never once saw or hear about anyone lowering an anchor on any Carnival ship...

Where do you get this? The 4th paragraph of the link states:

If I didn't read the article correctly, my apologies. But that's the way I read it.

I think you just read Rutland Gate's post incorrectly. IMO s/he was not stating facts, but just using sarcasm for humor. S/he should have used :rolleyes: and/or :D in the post.

I love to go on HAL, so don't get me wrong......but part of me can't help but giggle since this story would make more sense if it were on Carnival. You don't see this kind of behavior with the HAL crowd.

Really? Because the only time I have ever heard of this happening involved a HAL passenger on a HAL ship.

Yes, even HAL attracts classless idiots.

Why just the Carnival Corp owned ships??:confused::confused:
He may be banned by others (RCI?) too, but more than likely this IDIOT will be banned from all the different lines owned by Carnival Corp. Nothing confusing. Of course I hope he gets the max sentence of 20 yrs. NO cruising in his future.

So he released the anchor around 5:00a and the incident goes apparently unrecognized....... Then deploys a buoy (is that the "man overboard ring and light/locator?????) a half hour later???....... Did it come to the proper attention with the buoy/ lifering going overboard??? And didn't a poster on a separate thread indicate the muster drill was around 7:00a????

Could someone clarify please?

Gee- what an idiot. He shouldn't be allowed any kind of travel. Guess the TSA scanner missed the vacuum between the ears.

I immediately thought of Forrest Gump and "Stupid is as stupid does." Probably with a good attorney all he'll get is a slap on the wrist but a ban from public transportation might be reasonable. I'd assume he won't be invited back on any Carnival Group cruise soon. Good thing he wasn't on a plane and saw that handle thingy that reminded him of a door at home. Geez......... :eek:

You're confusing Carnival Cruise Lines with Carnival Corporation & PLC, which is the holding company that owns Carnival Cruise Lines, HAL, Cunard, Princess, etc. Carnival Cruise Lines does not own HAL and is not the "parent" company. :)

I hope they throw the book at this idiot. Being drunk is no excuse for endangering the ship and lives of others.

I know this and so do you, but there is a huge population on Cruise Critic that knows not the difference. They equate the word Carnival.

Most of the folks I know that don't cruise don't know any difference between say HAL and Royal Caribbean Line that runs those 2 day cruises on the Bahamas Celebration. If they were to go on that 2 day cruise they would think I am nuts to cruise for 7 to 10 days. Those are probably the folks who say they got board on a cruise.

So far the score is: Drunken passengers dropping the anchor on Holland American Line= ONE.

Drunken passengers dropping the anchor on Carnival Cruise Line= ZERO.

So evidently its on Carnival where you don't see this kind of behavior.:p

So far the score is: Drunken passengers dropping the anchor on Holland American Line= ONE.

Drunken passengers dropping the anchor on Carnival Cruise Line= ZERO.

So evidently its on Carnival where you don't see this kind of behavior.:p

Come now... On Carnival they are TOO drunk to engage an anchor drop; the drinkers just drop overboard themselves!!:D:D But they are the 'Fun Ships'!!:D:D

I guess they are posting his mug shot. Where was his companion during all his mischeif? I think they eed to check the bars to determine where he got loaded or was he boozing in his cabin at 5am? He dooes look like the guy on NCIS. Well since he's being arraigned in Florida it's only a short drive to Coleman Fed Facility.

Archived