Bill....any info about the beds???

Shippy

In reading the latest review on the tranatlanic cruise, it was sad to see ANOTHER person had to deal with the awful beds.

This is of concern as we are going on an 11 night cruise on the Journey next month. A lot of hotels & some cruiselines now advertise & brag about the comfort of their beds.

With Azamara trying to compete with upscale lines it is hard to believe they would not have comfortable bedding.

I read awhile ago that this might be taken care of in Miami. Do you know if this is true?

It would be nice to know I could look forward to a comfortable night sleep on the ship.

Thanks

I'd be interested to hear Bill's response to this ongoing question - on our recent Journey Med cruise, our mattress was excellent. We both have some issues with back problems so a firm mattress is pretty important. In fact, we both slept better on board than we have for ages.........

I have no idea whether we had a newer mattress or were just fortunate. Inquiring minds would like to know for the future.

I'd be interested to hear Bill's response to this ongoing question - on our recent Journey Med cruise, our mattress was excellent. We both have some issues with back problems so a firm mattress is pretty important. In fact, we both slept better on board than we have for ages.........

I have no idea whether we had a newer mattress or were just fortunate. Inquiring minds would like to know for the future.

Hi ikelmay,

Was on Journey T/A in April for the 1st time. We also have back problems and fortunately found the bed most comfortable. We like a firm bed but perhaps some prefer a softer bed and that may be their problem with the beds. I too will be interested to hear what Bill has to say.:)

We were on the Quest and our bed was very comfortable. We prefer a firm mattress.

We were in an Owners Suite. I wonder if some mattresses are newer than others so maybe it would be helpful if people were more specific about their stateroom which would make it easier for management to investigate. I am not under the impression they have plans in the near future to replace them all.

Our mattress was great on Quest a year ago (6083). By great I mean firm but with a wonderful cushioned pillow top. I have not been able to understand the complaints either, but they may vary from room to room.

No one in our large group last year complained, either.

How's that for specific....

It seems the people that complain have really bad mattresses. They not only say they are soft but lumpy. Maybe some have already been replaced.

Can anyone address mattress quality in our room ???

While we are the topic of beds....we always store our suitcases under the beds when we travel. I am hoping they fit under Azamara beds especially since the rooms are small.

You might not be able to fit your suitcases under the bed...but they will store them for you. I thought the beds were very comfortable. The pillows are kinda poofy so I used the little square one. No complaints here, and it would be a shame if Azamara replaced all of the bedding because of a few nit-pickers. Seems like most people have responded favorably to the beds just as they are.

We had no problems with the bedding in our cabin either. We were on the Journey.

Our overseas size suitcases fit under the bed. We did have to lift the frame a bit but once we were beyond the frame we had no problems.

If you are terribly distressed with your mattress ask your steward if there is a replacement available. There are usually additional items in storage. The same is true of pillows. If possible your request will be honored. We did ask for foam/anti-allergic pillows and they were quickly provided.

My 2 cents

Regarding the bed on the Journey - cabin 7043 Oct 22-Nov 3, 2010

Background...

We sleep in a Westin Heavenly Bed at home and love it.

Experience...

My DH had no problem with his side and he was happy with his pillows

I on the other hand was not comfortable with the bed and my pillows

On Day 2 an eggcrate mattress was put only on my side.

I prefer very flat pillows, and the ones onboard were too thick for me.

Our Cabin Steward provided me with a TempurPedic pillow

I slept soundly for the next 22 nights (1 night was in Egypt at the Mena Oberoi house with REAL Egyptian Cotton Sheets)

Larry and Bill...I highly recommend that you get some of THOSE!

Regarding storing your luggage...we fit 3 travel pros under our bed, inside each suitcase we put

our carry on. For our cabin...we moved the small table into our closet and that gave us a HUGE "footprint"

for an inside cabin.

K

I am also interested in the response about beds & mattresses. We sailed Journey in April '10 shortly after the transition to the "new" Azamara. Our bed was in rather poor condition with a lumpy mattress that had obvious dips & depressions. It was difficult to get comfortable, which obviously had an impact on our quality of sleep.

Senior staff on-board Journey have acknowledged that there are issues with beds & mattresses. And it's been discussed previously on this forum. In fact, I read here a few months ago that Azamara had ordered new, premium hotel quality mattresses which would be installed when they arrive. Any updates? It would be great to know that this has been addressed, since the condition of beds & mattresses factors into our decision on whether to book future cruises on Azamara.

My husband and I are on the "Quest right now - and have been for about 17 days already. We have never slept so well. The bed is extremely comfortable and the movement of the ship rocks us to sleep.

Everything about this ship is absolutely fabulous. We are having a great time. We are also lucky in that we still have anither 15 days to enjoy it.

My husband and I are on the "Quest right now - and have been for about 17 days already. We have never slept so well. The bed is extremely comfortable and the movement of the ship rocks us to sleep.

Everything about this ship is absolutely fabulous. We are having a great time. We are also lucky in that we still have anither 15 days to enjoy it.

So glad you are having a wonderful time as I know you were concerned before you booked. I have loved my times on Quest -and that was before they changed to the club concept

I haven't done a scientific survey about the mattresses :) , but most "content" posts seem to be from passengers on the Quest. Has the Quest's equipment already been renewed while the Journey's is still awaiting renewal?

Maybe Bill could answer.

bandt

I haven't done a scientific survey about the mattresses :) , but most "content" posts seem to be from passengers on the Quest.

Well, add me to the list of "content" people on the Journey. I was on the transatlantic a couple of weeks ago, and the bed was very comfortable. I fear, however, that this may be somewhat like food discussions -- it's very subjective. That's why mattress companies make 8 million different models (or at least it seems like that many when shopping for one). For example, some people swear by memory foam as providing the most comfortable sleep, while others swear at it for reducing mobility and trapping heat. Some people like firm mattresses and others soft. There is no such thing as a mattress that everybody likes.

Doug

Well, add me to the list of "content" people on the Journey. I was on the transatlantic a couple of weeks ago, and the bed was very comfortable. I fear, however, that this may be somewhat like food discussions -- it's very subjective. That's why mattress companies make 8 million different models (or at least it seems like that many when shopping for one). For example, some people swear by memory foam as providing the most comfortable sleep, while others swear at it for reducing mobility and trapping heat. Some people like firm mattresses and others soft. There is no such thing as a mattress that everybody likes.

Doug

Most people that have complained said the same thing...lumpy.

That definetly means 'old'. Sounds like some have been replaced. Higher end rooms??

Thought Bill Leiber would have checked for me by now since I had addressed this question to him.

Thought Bill Leiber would have checked for me by now since I had addressed this question to him.

You asked on Dec. 4. Today is Dec. 8. Give Bill a break. Answers take time. This is not the only board he monitors. :rolleyes:

Most people that have complained said the same thing...lumpy.

That definetly means 'old'. Sounds like some have been replaced. Higher end rooms??

Hello Azamara Followers:

At last, here’s your bedtime story.

Both the Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest feature new European bedding with the same mattress brand and quality following their $17.5 million revitalization as they transitioned from “Azamara” to “Azamara Club Cruises.” The key element affecting the bedding is the size of the bed frame upon which the mattress is placed.

Because the Quest was rolled out five months after the Journey there was extra time to simultaneously replace the bedding with the correct size bed frames to house the new mattresses. In fact our hotel department has not received complaints.

On the Journey, however, there are still some staterooms in which the new mattresses are slightly larger than the bed frames resulting in their being pushed up on the side by the frame's edge and not laying totally flat. By the first quarter of 2011, the correct size bed frames for the mattresses will be installed. Hopefully this will put to bed any issues about sleeping comfortably while sailing on the Journey. Further, the frames will be slightly higher allowing more storage under the bed. I was not able to get the difference in height.

I hope this information is helpful.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hello Azamara Followers:

At last, here’s your bedtime story.

Both the Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest feature new European bedding with the same mattress brand and quality following their $17.5 million revitalization as they transitioned from “Azamara” to “Azamara Club Cruises.” The key element affecting the bedding is the size of the bed frame upon which the mattress is placed.

Because the Quest was rolled out five months after the Journey there was extra time to simultaneously replace the bedding with the correct size bed frames to house the new mattresses. In fact our hotel department has not received complaints.

On the Journey, however, there are still some staterooms in which the new mattresses are slightly larger than the bed frames resulting in their being pushed up on the side by the frame's edge and not laying totally flat. By the first quarter of 2011, the correct size bed frames for the mattresses will be installed. Hopefully this will put to bed any issues about sleeping comfortably while sailing on the Journey. Further, the frames will be slightly higher allowing more storage under the bed. I was not able to get the difference in height.

I hope this information is helpful.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I was sure there had to be some issue on Journey vs. Quest based on some comments and reviews.

Thank you Bill, it is nice to know there is a go to person that actually takes the time to answer questions with researched answers.

I am looking forward to my first Azamara Cruise next month. It is on the Journey so not sure if bed has been replaced but it won't stop me from enjoying this ship!

Archived