Rumrunners Busted on Destiny TODAY

detwings

Our friends and another couple they are traveling with got busted with rumrunners inside their checked baggage today. They were packed along the sides with all the necessary precautions. They received a nice letter from Carnival that their alcholol had been detected and confiscated and to enjoy their cruise.

Nope they do not get their rumrunners and alcohol back at the end of the cruise. Scanners it seems are able to pick these up. Carnival cruisers out of Miami beware, This was a live cell phone call just received from our friends who are on the Destiny now.:(

I meet a lady on a cruise who worked at the port doing this. She was a supervisor. I have posted that she said of course we can see them, and laughed to think people think they cant spot liquids. She said they had to see everything to screen for dangerous things. People even pack guns. Just because you usually get by with it, doesnt mean they cant see it.

Bummer!

I've never looked up rum runners but it seems like there would be a better way to do it. A friend of mine puts rum and vodka in wine bottles and then recorks them. Just put them in your carry on... they never check that! And it's completely corked so it's not like they would since it just looks like a bottle of wine. Ah... one of the many perks of living at a winery. :)

I drink wine only so I'm good on cruises! But I do feel bad for people who like a little night cap and have to pay $8 for it.

I always chortle when someone does something which is obviously against their passenger contract.

You never see anyone smuggle PRIME Steaks to avoid the cost of specialty restaurant!

Thank you very much for saying that. I posted something like that on this thread earlier today, but it got deleted :confused: Apparently CC thinks it's not okay to criticize people who break the rules.

I meet a lady on a cruise who worked at the port doing this. She was a supervisor. I have posted that she said of course we can see them, and laughed to think people think they cant spot liquids. She said they had to see everything to screen for dangerous things. People even pack guns. Just because you usually get by with it, doesnt mean they cant see it.

Not sure what type of scanner they are using but xrays can not see liquids. Yes it can detect the shape of the plastic screw on lid. Anyone who gets caught with rum runners is just unlucky..they can not see liquid via a xray, just the outlines!

I always chortle when someone does something which is obviously against their passenger contract.

You never see anyone smuggle PRIME Steaks to avoid the cost of specialty restaurant!

Now that is a good idea! thanks Gay! A charcoal grill and voila!

V V V Checking days V V V

Not sure what type of scanner they are using but xrays can not see liquids. Yes it can detect the shape of the plastic screw on lid. Anyone who gets caught with rum runners is just unlucky..they can not see liquid via a xray, just the outlines!

Too funny... x-rays can't "SEE" anything..... but software can determine what an object most likely is. How do you think x-ray machines are able to do 3D images and determine body fluids from organs and bones. The x-ray machine doesn't,,, the software does.

Too funny... x-rays can't "SEE" anything..... but software can determine what an object most likely is. How do you think x-ray machines are able to do 3D images and determine body fluids from organs and bones. The x-ray machine doesn't,,, the software does.

Wow..and to think Ive been a xray tech for 12 years and never knew this.. phew.. I guess the hospital where I work is behind the times.. all thsese new fangled gadgets and no one told us!

The actual xray does not detect liquids. It shows them the outline of the object. If you are gonna smuggle and take chances with rum runners or anything else its the luck of the draw. I put 6 packs of beer in my back pack back and run it right through on shore days. Never have had it taken. Again..its luck of the draw. Those rum runners if lined around the luggae edges will stick out like sore thumb most likely.

With that being said.. I will still use rum runners, if I get caught I get caught. I will still have a 500$ bar tab with or with out them!

Happy Cruising All!

I have thought of that. Problem is that I have not yet figured out how to smuggle the barbi and the charcoal or propane to run it. I am still working on this problem, however, and I will report on the solution when I work it out.

DON

Wow..and to think Ive been a xray tech for 12 years and never knew this.. phew.. I guess the hospital where I work is behind the times.. all thsese new fangled gadgets and no one told us!

!

And I've been repairing them for 20,,,so what.

Then you also know that systems these days are actually capable of creating images in color and that the images can also be manipulated to rotate, make movies such as in vascular imaging, cath lab imaging, and CT imaging.

Not usually done due to expense and not required in medical imaging.

However, in industrial and security imaging, the software and technology can now pretty much interpret objects as to whether they are liquid, solids, plastics, etc,etc.

I have thought of that. Problem is that I have not yet figured out how to smuggle the barbi and the charcoal or propane to run it. I am still working on this problem, however, and I will report on the solution when I work it out.

DON

Luggage made out of a Coleman and a carry-on bag made from charcoal Briquettes?

Wow! you are all so high tech for me! I did note that the second poster commented that we should wear the rumrunners in. Does that mean that I can get away with them if they are on my person?

Put in your pockets. Wear cargo shorts with big pockets. No xrays or body searchs yet.

Wow! you are all so high tech for me! I did note that the second poster commented that we should wear the rumrunners in. Does that mean that I can get away with them if they are on my person?

Thats probably the best way to do it along with the grill and propane in your socks!!!

HELLO!:)

If you read the instructions that come with your rum runners about how to season them etc it states to pack them in the middle of your luggage, not lining the outside. I wrap my black bathing suits around them.

I know it's illegal, but my bar tab is still sufficient enough to keep CCL liquid. I just like a little something in my cabin.

And they have had the pleasure of my company for 30 cruises now.

You probably have put ideas in people's heads. Next thing you know we will have grills on balconies to save a few bucks.

MexicoBob

Actually did this before but the kitchen staff overcooked my steaks just like they always do. Never had a problem preparing the perfect drink with my smuggled rum though.

Our friends and another couple they are traveling with got busted with rumrunners inside their checked baggage today. They were packed along the sides with all the necessary precautions. They received a nice letter from Carnival that their alcholol had been detected and confiscated and to enjoy their cruise.

Nope they do not get their rumrunners and alcohol back at the end of the cruise. Scanners it seems are able to pick these up. Carnival cruisers out of Miami beware, This was a live cell phone call just received from our friends who are on the Destiny now.:(

Be interesting to know if RRs were the only way they were smuggling alcohol, i.e., not also packing bottles. Or size of RRs being used. Several of the larger size RRS in a row will call attention in any scanner. RR recommends you pack near the bottom by the wheels not along the side. Smaller RRs may be a better way to go.

Also, Port of Miami is notorious about searching for contraband. I wouldn't attempt any smuggling of any kind out of POM.

Archived