Allure motion stability

gram2kids

We use the generic Bonine which is mecalizine, much cheaper , also over the counter , usually just ask your pharmacist. It works for us.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

• 5 years later...

We have always used the scopolamine patches on every cruise we have been on and we did the same on the Allure. We have never gotten sick using the patches. The only time I have ever gotten sick on a cruise was a Princess ship and I felt that might have been caused by something I ate in the dining room rather than from ship movement. When we were on the Allure, I remember this young man asking about our patches which we wear behind our ears. He was obviously miserable. There is definitely movement on this ship. Be prepared. As a retired registered nurse, I am always prepared for anything. We wear the patches but I usually have some dramamine, too, and ginger. On one cruise with family on a different ship, I also had the "sea band" which my young nephew wore after he got sick. Once he put on the sea band, he was not sick again.

I will be sailing for the first time on the Allure of the Seas Dec. 26th. I have not read any comments regarding the motion stability while cruising and was wondering how stable this ship was. I would imagine from the new technologies and the size of this new ship that would not be a problem. I just want to be prepared with meds/patches in the event that there is a bout with sea sickness. Please post your own experience and/or thoughts on the Allure's stability on open waters. Thank you.

Old post but in case someone searches it...Ive rocked pretty good on this ship... Ship is nothing compared to the ocean if the seas are swelling....Water was emptied out of the pools just about from the forward up and down we had for 3 days straight leaving out of port lauderdale one yr in november.

Edited by rtazz17

The Oasis and Allure are the two biggest ships at sea. Longer, wider and higher. The longer and higher part create a large area for wind to push against the ship. If the direction of the wind flow is adjacent to the side of the ship and strong enough it will make the ship move.

No, the Oasis and Allure are the two "biggest cruise ships at sea". There are about 40-50 ships that are much larger.

OP, a way to mediate the side effects of the patch (and they can be severe for some), is to reduce the dosage. Place a small round bandaid behind your ear where the patch will go. Then apply the patch partially over the bandaid and partially on your skin. Only the portion touching skin will transmit the medication. If you find the side effects are still uncomfortable, move the patch more onto the bandaid. If your side effects are okay, but you are still feeling nauseous from motion sickness, move the patch more on your skin.

Yeah, old thread. Lol

So glad I don't suffer from motion sickness. Actually love feeling the ship rock and roll. To a point, of course.

We hit a pretty good squall Saturday on the way back to Galveston and it was exciting. Not everyone thought so. 😎

I will be sailing for the first time on the Allure of the Seas Dec. 26th. I have not read any comments regarding the motion stability while cruising and was wondering how stable this ship was. I would imagine from the new technologies and the size of this new ship that would not be a problem. I just want to be prepared with meds/patches in the event that there is a bout with sea sickness. Please post your own experience and/or thoughts on the Allure's stability on open waters. Thank you.

Been of both he Oasis and Allure several times...VERY STABLE. Seriously...very stable.

However, you will feel some pitch and roll but compared to other smaller ships...VERY stable...however, if very rough seas you will feel a slight bit of pitch and roll but it is very minor and mostly undetectable...YMMV

This may be way off but I have felt more motion on the eastern route than the western. Seems there are more of the large rollers out there that cause the ship to move. Chop or reasonable waves don't seem to affect these big ships.