Sapphire Beach

Garycruz

I will be visiting St. Thomas next week on my upcoming cruise. In the past, I've always gone to Megans Bay. I love that beach but would like to try a different one this time. I've heard nice things about Sapphire Beach but many of them mention how great the snorkeling is there.

We do not plan on snorkeling, so can someone tell me if Sapphire is a good beach just for swimming or would you recommend Megans if not snorkeling.

Also, I've read a few negative things about the restrooms at Sapphire Beach. Are they that bad?

Any insight is appreciated.

Was there about 2yrs ago and bout to return on Monday. I really enjoyed the beach but it doesnt take alot for me to enjoy just sitting in paradise..that being anything better than snowy OHIO.

Here is my take...easy to get to, enough beach that there is plenty of space for everyone and much room to walk and roam. View of 2 big mountainous islands are infront of you along with crystal clear turquise water. Yep there are 2 areas to snorkel and they are very close into the beach so you can just float out and around. I only did the one and saw plenty of fish...did I see anything that made me go "Wow" nope but plenty of pretty fish. I hear the better spot is down to the left if facing the ocean. Yep there was some shade and there appeared to be plenty of chairs/umbrellas. There was a small store that had snacks and I think there was a restaurant but I didnt really pay attention.

Restrooms...there is alot of traffic in there so I always take that into consideration and its hot and humid so I get out fast. It was a real bathroom with stalls and sinks etc. Just not the cleanest and in so so repair. there was a hose outside that I rinced off with and then I went to the bathroom to get my wet suit off as I was planning to shop back in town and didnt want to do it wet. It was fine, Ive been in some real dumps and I wouldnt call it that but it is out at the beach so dont expect to much.

I went about a month ago. I thought it was a very pretty beach. They have loungers you can rent and there are trees along the beach if you want shade. There were lots of rocks in the water. It was a little hard to walk in the water.

This is the first I have heard about rocks..Now Im questioning which beach to go to (leaving in 12 days and SxT is Friday 12/24)

We rented a Jeep so we can go to whichever. I also didnt want to land back on Magens bay (again!! lol). Altho it is a beautiful beach.

Does anyone know if it is typical for Sapphire to have a rocky entrance to the water??? Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good information.

I must say that I am surprised to hear about the rocks. This is the first time I've heard that about Sapphire Beach. I hate rocks and this might be enough to make me go to another beach.

Is there another beach other than Sapphire or Megans Bay that anyone would recommend? I think I remember reading about Emerald Beach being nice. Has anyone been there?

This is the first I have heard about rocks..Now Im questioning which beach to go to (leaving in 12 days and SxT is Friday 12/24)

We rented a Jeep so we can go to whichever. I also didnt want to land back on Magens bay (again!! lol). Altho it is a beautiful beach.

Does anyone know if it is typical for Sapphire to have a rocky entrance to the water??? Thanks!

Three quarters of the beach has no rocks. There are a few old brain coral heads in the water here and there. I would not consider this beach to be "rocky" at all.

I will be visiting St. Thomas next week on my upcoming cruise. In the past, I've always gone to Megans Bay. I love that beach but would like to try a different one this time. I've heard nice things about Sapphire Beach but many of them mention how great the snorkeling is there.

We do not plan on snorkeling, so can someone tell me if Sapphire is a good beach just for swimming or would you recommend Megans if not snorkeling.

Also, I've read a few negative things about the restrooms at Sapphire Beach. Are they that bad?

Hey Gary check this out this link http://kimbakerphotography.smugmug.c...17703050_nhpoV and thank mitsugirly its really a cool place.

Hey Gary check this out this link http://kimbakerphotography.smugmug.c...17703050_nhpoV and thank mitsugirly its really a cool place.

These are great pictures. Saphhire definitely looks nice and I'm sure is great for snorkeling.

I think I have it narrowed down to Sapphire and Emerald Beach.

At least those are the front runners today. :)

Thanks for the link.

Godfrey won't take me to Sapphire beach"until the restaurant and bathrooms are open".

I gather their are beach chairs --are the restrooms and restaurant open??

We stop at Sapphire each year just to see what it's like. As of last February the restrooms were filthy and the restaurant was closed. I've never snorkeled there but with all the positive comments about the snorkeling I'm going to have to try it this year. If you only have one day I would go to Secret Harbor or Smith Bay. If you don't mind crowds then I would go to Megans or Coki.

Sapphire beach is awesome and great swimming and some snorkeling by the rocks on the right hand side by the resort. Great food service and I have not used the bathrooms as we only stayed 2 to 3 hours and did not need them as we wore our bathing suits and never changed into other clothing. The view is to die for and the beach is awesome as well.

We were at Sapphire Beach last summer. I did not find the access to the beach to be "rocky", but there are coral heads in the water, which you are not allowed to step on. The sand is soft and white and there are alot of trees offering shade. On the beach are plenty of iguana's and ducks which are sure to come right up and visit you! When we were there the restaurant/grill was closed but the bathrooms were opened. The bathrooms are old and since we were the only cruise ship in port the beach was relatively uncrowded. If there would be more people on the beach, I could see how the bathrooms could become quite dirty quickly.

Here are some pictures of Sapphire Beach:

CarnivalVictoryCruise528.jpg

A duck on the beach

IMG_0214.jpg

Just a friendly Iguana

CarnivalVictoryCruise533.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Sapphire Beach is our all time favorite place to relax! We love to snorkel, so that is a big plus for us. We don't care about the restaurant, there is usually a grill where we can grab a hamburger (expensive - but we're on vacation mon'!) The view is beautiful. As far as rocks are concerned - there are rocks at the ends of the beach and that is where the great snorkeling can be found. The middle, and largest, part of the beach is pure white sand. That is where we enter the water and then swim over to the snorkel area. Sometimes we have seen turtles in the grassy part to the left as you face the water. I will also post a few pictures from our trip last year:

The clear areas in the water are sand only. The dark area to the left is sea grass where you can see turtles at times. To the farther left are rocks where reef fish are found.

2809238870071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the area to the right as you face the water that has great snorkeling. My brother said the area out by the point was amazing, but the current there was a bit too strong for me - and it is farther out than it looks int he picture.

2526726260071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is a good picture of where we did most of our snorkeling. The dark area in the water is rocky and has tons of reef fish. The white & blue areas are white sand and great for swimming. When I took this picture the tide was going out and it was a little too shallow for good snorkeling, but earlier it was perfect!

2924275010071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

A young man swimming brought this fellow in for his kids to see. I did explain to him that the turtles were protected and should not be handled! He apologized and let the poor creature go.

2403369930071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

While I have had better snorkeling in different areas of the Caribbean, the protected cove without strong currents (inside the cove area), large variety of reef fish, gentle slope and generally uncrowded conditions would make this the perfect spot for a beginning snorkeler.

2146546550071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

Besides, you can always make a new friend while there!

2709292260071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived