Chose a formal night dress...what for DH?

paramedicduo

So, I've chosen one of my formal night dresses for our first cruise. But, I'm wondering what I should pack for dh...tux or suit?

266935_RED_1_115x144.jpg266935_RED_2_115x144.jpg

The only other time we've ever dressed formal together was at our wedding, so we're really looking forward to it :)

So, I've chosen one of my formal night dresses for our first cruise. But, I'm wondering what I should pack for dh...tux or suit?

266935_RED_1_115x144.jpg266935_RED_2_115x144.jpg

The only other time we've ever dressed formal together was at our wedding, so we're really looking forward to it :)

He'd better go tux. Then again, wouldn't he just want to be comfortable and stand along side you in cut off jeans, flip flops, and tank top?:D Tux rental on the ship is easy, I highly recommend it. You'll have a great night.

Rent a tux aboard, or buy one and pack it (you were already considering packing a suit). Tuxes are surprisingly inexpensive, and mine was "paid for" after only a few cruises where I didn't have to rent. That said, with luggage fees what they are, renting has great appeal. The tuxes are your typical "rental" variety, but they're fine. My only caveat is that you MUST try the tux on the moment it arrives, as twice I've been delivered the incorrect size, or the correct size that inexplicably still does not fit. I'm a 38R and they once delivered me a 56 short with 28 waist pants. Is that shape even possible?

A red silk pocket square [less than $10] would be a nice touch with his tux or dark suit.

Have to second the pocket square! Did a study on men's clothing and pocket squares really are like jewelry for a man...and now I think suits look naked if they don't have one. If you watch any sports commentary (like during halftime reports during football) you can usually compare the men with the squares v. the men without, and the men with look much more put together IMO.

I know some people say that packing a tux is like packing a suit, but my parents disagree. There is much more that gets packed with a tux than with a suit according to them. For this reason, even though Dad has a tux, he purchased a very stylish black suit, which is what he wears now for formal night on cruises.

My parents coordinate Dad's shirt/tie combo with the dress my Mom wears. Don't have the pocket square exactly match the tie. If the tie has a pattern, then just pick one of the colors from the tie (similar to your dress would be good) for the pocket square.

A mans point of view.

Tuxedo. The tie should always be a black bow and the shirt white.

Add some color with a pocket square, carnation in the lapel button hole or the vest or cummerbund.

But please do not co-ordinate the shirt tie with your dress. Don't treat your DH as an accessory.

Follow the link after my signature.

The guy who assembled that site did all the research so you don't have too.

He has not only the how of Black Tie but the why.

In my opinion that isn't a formal dress, but rather semi-formal, so a dark suit would be more appropriate for your husband than a tux would. If the dress were full length I'd think differently.

This is exactly what I was thinking, but it really could go either way. If DH already has a dark suit, go that way. If not, rent the tux and it will be fine.

But please do not co-ordinate the shirt tie with your dress. Don't treat your DH as an accessory.

I would like to clarify my post based on this response...when I mentioned coordinating, I meant just that...coordinating, not matchy matchy like prom :rolleyes:...but being thoughtful in what colors everyone decides to wear for each formal night with pictures in mind. That's all. :)

Archived