Kids being old enough to remember??

luvhubandbabys

Hello new here, just joined!!

Is this really important? Every spring we take a vacation this year we are going to FL to visit family which is always fun. Next year tho my kids will be 2 and 3. I have been dying to go on a cruise since my honeymoon 5yrs ago. Leaving them home is not an option for me.

Has anyone taken a 2 or 3 yr old ? What was it like?

Should we wait until they are older? Im just confused.

I took my kids at 2, 3, and 4. The one who was 4 remembers a good bit, the others only remember when the drunk tried to get in their cabin.

It's a totally different vacation with kids than without, definitely not as relaxing (can be a lot of work), but it can be at least just as fun (if not more). We took a short itinerary during college spring break on a line known for partying, and the combination was not toddler friendly at all. This probably made it more stressful than it would have been if we had done more research and known to change our timing and pick a longer itinerary and possibly a different cruiseline (though I've sailed along ships from the same line when the ships were on longer cruises and it was a totally different dynamic).

Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't, but everyone is different. I happen to have parents who I can trust with the kids, who love having them, and who don't get much time with them, so are happy to have them for a week at a time. For me, that gives me a break from my 24/7 as an at home parent. Without someone to leave them with and if I had to be away from them most of the day on a regular basis, my answer would be different.

Children "remembering" -- some kids will have specific tangible memories of events that occurred to them when they were very young, others may not. DD (now 15YO) was 8MO when we went to Yosemite, we were there for spring thaw and shortly after a significant rainfall so the waterfall was very dramatic. Two days after DD's 3rd birthday we were on a plane to New Mexico. Her dad was explaining that we were going to go up in the mountains and in the explaination said that she had never seen mountains before. DD, VERY indignantly, contridicted him saying "yes I did - when I was little. Remember the one with all the water coming out of it?!"

Personally, I believe that everything that happens to us in our lives adds to who we are. Even if a child does not have a specific memory of an trip, a child going on a vacation with his/her parents and other family members, seeing them in a different setting (not rushing off to work, or distracted by other household events), seeing new things -- all add to the totality of that kid (and as they grow who they are as an adult).

So your 3YO may or may not specifically remember the pirate parade he participated in in the Kid's Club when he turns 20YO, but I think the experience does become part of him at some deeper level.

Travelling with your kids (cruise or otherwise) will be a different experience than travelling alone or as a couple -- but it can be a great experience for all involved.

We decided to take our just-turned-3-yr old on our cruise in a month. We haven't been yet but we tried to select the most child-friendly cruise line and itinerary we could. To me it doesn't matter if she will remember it long term. IMO with little kids you live for the joy in their faces in the moment and the rest doesn't matter. Besides, she really flabbergasts me sometimes with things she remembers from ages ago, so who knows.

For what it's worth, I am much more comfortable taking her this year than I would have been last year. She can walk longer distances, communicate well, and is fully potty trained. It might be a lot more work with two kids and one being younger.

my whole thing about that is this...it's just as much for ME to have memories of each trip as it is for the kids. We took several trips when the kids were too little to remember, but I have very fond memories of the trips. My kids don't remember much about any trips we've taken before they were 4 or 5. Though that isn't a deal breaker for me.

I say go for it. It is truely a relaxing way to vacation as a family. Much more so than messing with hotels and vacation rentals and rental cars and deciding on cooking or where to eat out. ack. ;) It's a great blend of family time and adult time, provided they're old enough to participate in the kids' program your chosen line offers.

I always leaned toward the "will they remember side" but my wife has always told me that when they are young it is more about living in the momement than the memory. I now agree with her a bit more after watching the kids and grandkids having so much fun on our vacations.

We vacation as a family so we have family time, away from the hustle and bustle of our every day lives. Last year was our first vacation, DS2 had just turned 2 and he does remember parts of the trip. However, the look on his face playing with us, and where the biggest decision of the day was deciding whether we go to the beach or the pool were priceless. It`s a big reason why we`ve decided to travel each year while the kids are young. They are only young once ;) Plus you`ll always have lots of pictures to help them remember a particular trip.

For comparison`s sake, I went to Egypt when I was 13 yrs and I remember some parts really well, others are a blur.

my whole thing about that is this...it's just as much for ME to have memories of each trip as it is for the kids. We took several trips when the kids were too little to remember, but I have very fond memories of the trips. My kids don't remember much about any trips we've taken before they were 4 or 5. Though that isn't a deal breaker for me.

I say go for it. It is truely a relaxing way to vacation as a family. Much more so than messing with hotels and vacation rentals and rental cars and deciding on cooking or where to eat out. ack. ;) It's a great blend of family time and adult time, provided they're old enough to participate in the kids' program your chosen line offers.

I totally agree with MamaParrotHead. They won't remember it, but they'll have a great time and so will you, and that's good for everyone!

Children "remembering" -- some kids will have specific tangible memories of events that occurred to them when they were very young, others may not. DD (now 15YO) was 8MO when we went to Yosemite, we were there for spring thaw and shortly after a significant rainfall so the waterfall was very dramatic. Two days after DD's 3rd birthday we were on a plane to New Mexico. Her dad was explaining that we were going to go up in the mountains and in the explaination said that she had never seen mountains before. DD, VERY indignantly, contridicted him saying "yes I did - when I was little. Remember the one with all the water coming out of it?!"

Personally, I believe that everything that happens to us in our lives adds to who we are. Even if a child does not have a specific memory of an trip, a child going on a vacation with his/her parents and other family members, seeing them in a different setting (not rushing off to work, or distracted by other household events), seeing new things -- all add to the totality of that kid (and as they grow who they are as an adult).

So your 3YO may or may not specifically remember the pirate parade he participated in in the Kid's Club when he turns 20YO, but I think the experience does become part of him at some deeper level.

Travelling with your kids (cruise or otherwise) will be a different experience than travelling alone or as a couple -- but it can be a great experience for all involved.

Nicely put. I would agree. My son is 3 and may not remember much from his first cruises, but I think he'll remember the last one. But even if he doesn't, cruising has provided him with great life experiences that add to his understanding of the world around him.

We are taking our kids for the first time in a few weeks...even at 6 and 7 I know they won't remember everything, but I will (or at least I'll TRY to :) ) I will take lots of pictures and show them later...I know they will have a lot of fun, and that will be worth taking them. Next up will probably be just DH and me, but we wanted this one to be a family vacation (since we're going on Christmas!) Have fun!

My son took his first cruise when he was 18 mos and we just returned from our 4th cruise with him at 5 1/2. I don't think he remembers his earlier cruises, but he sure does love looking at pictures then and now and seeing how much he has changed.

For us, it is all about creating memories and continuing those memories when the cruise is over. We talk about all of our cruises with our DS all the time and will do the same with our daughter when she is old enough (she just returned from her first cruise at 18 mos)!!!:D

Very well said! I totally agree! I get so mad when people on CC boards argue that since the child "won't remember", they should not go on a cruise. This is so utterly ridiculous. Should we not bother to take them out at all until they "remember"? The point is that I will remember, and my child will benefit from any positive family time!

I totally agree with MamaParrotHead. They won't remember it, but they'll have a great time and so will you, and that's good for everyone!

I agree with this. We started traveling with DD when she was 5 months old. We started cruising with her when she was 2 1/2. She doesn't remember cruising in Hawaii with us and her grandmother but I do. She doesn't remember the vacations from when she was very young. I don't think a vacation with a young child is a waste because they can't remember it. You do remember it and you have the memories of a wonderful trip.

I completely agree.... we find cruising such a relaxing vacation with the kids. I spend all the time up front organizing and planning and then once we are on the ship.... RELAX!

The kids love it and we all have time to do what we like. :)

Remembering the cruise for a child under 3 is not important. Ask yourself this...do you remember anything from when you were 2 or 3? Probably not. But it's YOUR memories of the cruise that will be important. Parents worry too much about their kids sometimes when it comes to really young ones and if they'll have a good time. If you're happy then the young ones will be happy.

Very well said! I totally agree! I get so mad when people on CC boards argue that since the child "won't remember", they should not go on a cruise. This is so utterly ridiculous. Should we not bother to take them out at all until they "remember"? The point is that I will remember, and my child will benefit from any positive family time!

I totally agree with this. I've never understood the concept of not wanting to take kids places until they're old enough to remember. As if you could just lock a kid in a closet until they're 10 or so because, who cares, they won't remember, right?

So well said - everyone! Even if they don't remember the cruise you'll have the pictures and memories to share with them when they are older. DS remembers vacations that we took when he was 3YO. He still talks about the places we visited that summer.

I travelled a lot as a child - sometimes with one parent, sometimes with both parents and extended family. Those are things that I cherish, times spent with parents, grandparents and cousins. I'm trying to give my kids the same type of experiences and cruising IMO is the perfect way to do it.

It seems like you have gotten a lot of good responses but I will add my 2 cents as well. We are taking our son who will be 17 months old on his first cruise in January. We couldn't be more excited! As parents, we know that he won't remember. I am completely ok with that. We are in the same boat, leaving him at home is not an option (we would never want to and we don't have anyone to leave him with) and want a vacation just as much as we want to see him on vacation. There will be so many new things for him to see and do. It will be great to see the look on his face. And we will have the memories even if he doesn't :) Yes, I know it will be completely different than the previous cruises we have been on. We will have to go at a slower pace, entertain him, go to bed early, take breaks for naps, etc. But my husband is really looking forward to that (I go, go, go on vacation and he is looking forward to the slower pace). We are also taking him to Disney for a day before the cruise and are really looking forward to that. Everything is about what you want to do. Do you want to go on a cruise with your children? Then go!!

I'm with the "Go for it!" group. Of course, my youngest has been cruising since she was 18months... and unfortunately, it was at a time BEFORE digital and I never archived those pictures.

The idea of the family cruise is to go together as a family, regardless of what the children may or may not remember. Back in early 2000, my wife and I went on the largest cruise ship in the world (at the time). It was the Explorer of the Seas, brand-spankin' new. The second we walked on board, and saw the Aquarium bar, we felt guilty. Our son was 2 at the time... and he would have LOVED the aquarium, the perpetual motion machine, the promenade... everything!

So, the following year, we took him on a Disney Cruise. Then we took him aboard the Explorer and left his younger brother at home. STILL felt guilty. So we didn't cruise for a year after that, and then took all three kids aboard Disney's Magic.

Afterwards, we took them on the Adventure of the Seas.. .my daughter was 2 1/2 at the time

n1507726387_30036357_6250.jpg

Then we did the Grand Princess at 3 1/2

n1507726387_30039160_7266.jpg

Does she remember? Probably not. (She gushes over the pictures)

But I think those were opportunities for all of them to experience some really GREAT things together with us... and the memories that WE have as parents being able to provide those opportunities are priceless.

Do it while you can (and still be able to pay for college)!

Carpe Diem!

I really don't think it matters if they remember (although my oldest is still mad we went to Beaches when she was only 4, and she really doesn't remember it, and wants to go after looking at the pictures), only if it's a once in a lifetime trip, and you're trying to plan when the best age is.

That said, for a cruise, I'd wait until they're old enough for the kids club, and potty trained, so they can use the pools. For me, one of the best parts of cruising with all of my kids are the kids clubs - we get adult time, and the kids LOVE them.

For us taken the kids was our priority. We always wanted them to experience cruising and vacation experiences. What I hate was spending the extra insurance on airplane rides, and seats for our babies, then my child after takeoff sitting on moms lap. I would just look at that emply seat and think to myself I could have spent money on a nice set of golf clubs, or spent extra money on an upgrade for that empty seat(used probably before and after plane takeoff only). Oh well, safety is a must!

Raising a child / children is all about the process. Many things like vacations when they are young are part of that. IMHO trips to Disney Land, expensive cruises or whatever are more for the parents to capture kodak moments then for the development of the child. Whether they go and remember or not won't matter to their happiness or development in 20 years down the road.

That being said I've taken mine places far and wide and expensive and cheap including the Mouse and cruises where they remember nothing. I'm sure I might have enjoyed them more leaving them with the grandparents but a part of the reason I had them was to do those things with them regardless of whether they remember, or not, or even if I have pictures of kodak moments, its all part of the life cycle of a parent. What others choose or value may not be the same as yours. Search your own soul and you'll have to decide for yourself, hopefully it won't hinge simply on whether they enjoy or remember it or not.

I do have a lot of neat pictures of my kids and I at exotic and not so exotic places. Frankly they don't remember a damm thing, and even for me don't remember so clearly any more either :o but I wouldn't trade those moments, time, nor want the money back, even so!

Good luck!

Hello new here, just joined!!

Is this really important? Every spring we take a vacation this year we are going to FL to visit family which is always fun. Next year tho my kids will be 2 and 3. I have been dying to go on a cruise since my honeymoon 5yrs ago. Leaving them home is not an option for me.

Has anyone taken a 2 or 3 yr old ? What was it like?

Should we wait until they are older? Im just confused.

As someone who went on their first cruise with their 6 month old, I say go for it! We have since been on 3 more cruises including Alaska, and our kids, now 7 and 10, love to travel.

It's not about whether they will remember it, it's about quality family time together. If a cruise makes you happy, then go. The key is to be as flexible as possible, and don't skip naps and meal times or else you will pay the price with cranky kids and resentful adults.

At this age, I would avoid itineraries that are port intensive where you would be disappointed if you missed all of the museums and historic sights. Save those trips for when they have more patience and can appreciate what they are seeing. Beach time, exploring the port on foot, hiring a taxi (yes, bring a car seat) for a private tour so that you can stop when you need to, preschool friendly places like aquariums or just staying on board for some less crowded pool time are all great things to do on a cruise with preschoolers.

If your kids are extroverts or enjoy being at daycare, then look for a cruise line with a great kids club that takes two yr olds. (Not all do.) If they are more introverted, or prefer to spend their time with you, then choose a ship that has other amenities, a better itinerary or is a great price. I was surprised that my kids weren't interested in going to the kids club after reading that all kids love the kids club. It really depends on your kids.

Don't feel that because you are travelling with preschoolers that you have to go with the most family friendly cruiselines. One of our best cruises we had was with Celebrity when our kids were about the ages of your kids.

The memories and milestones can be really special. My youngest who was a reluctant walker learned to walk on board because he didn't like the way the carpet felt when he crawled. Talk about your sea legs!!! The pictures and the memories, both yours and theirs are priceless.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and feel free to ask lots of questions. Keep us posted as to what you decide to do.

Hope this helps.

N.

Both my kids remembered starting around age 2. My DD now 5 used to ask about the dancing show, the singing waiters, big ship etc for many months after we returned home. My DS is almost 2 and he asks about the big cruise ship too. Then again, we cruise 2-3 times a year so both my kids have repeated exposure to it. In a few weeks it will be DD's 10th cruise and DS's 5th. We feel its the easiest way to travel with young kids since everything you need is within walking distance at all times.

We didn't start cruising until our kids were much older, but I can tell you of a trip we took our 17 year old on when he was just over 3. We took him to Hawaii (again, many would say why take a 3 year old to Hawaii when he can't remember it?).

We had a great trip. He doesn't really remember much of it, except the football game (yes, we were following the Badgers and saw the Great Dayne start his outstanding college career). He remembers Bucky Badger bumping him on his head when he tried to hug him (Bucky is a little blind, and very short kids make it very hard for him to see).

We have wonderful photos and great memories. We traveled with my parents, and they have great memories too.

We tease him that it was the only way we were able to potty train him- mean parent story- we told him diapers weren't allowed on the plane and he believed us!

Take your kids. Your memories are important too.

Archived