What's Up Doc???

cindilouwho

We cruise serveral times a year but it has been a few years since we got any 'fancy docs'.

Guess the new modern way is to just download your passes.

It used to be so much fun waiting for the mail to see how your passes would arrive.

For those who are not familiar with how you got your cruise papers before all the cruiselines put them on the internet, it was always a surprise.

It would be your boarding passes, all pertinent info & your luggage tags.

Sometimes it would all just be in a cardboard or vinyl type folder but many a time it would be in a nice leather folder. One time....many years ago....we actually recieved a jewelry box with our papers !

Now we just print them off....sometimes I use colored paper :O)

The better lines like Regent, Seabourn, etc. still send out very nice documents in leather or leather-like folders. Always considered this one of the many inconsistencies in Azamara in that they want to be thought of a higher class line but don't want to do what is necessary to do so.

For TGG

Fancy document cases..

Those snazzy leather and then faux leather cases that we use to get on all cruise lines years ago..

I saved a few of them and I use one in my glove box (not sure if our UK friends call it that) I keep my car registration, proof of insurance, several pens, and blank paper along with a disposable camera if Im ever in a car accident. Also I keep medical info in it for me, my DH and mom if we ever couldnt communicate someones prescribed medicines and even more importantly allergies...

In turn its easy to grab out of my glove box for security purposes going through a car wash or valet parking and throw in my purse.

FOR CINDILOUWHO

Regarding AZ and other cruise lines ...I havent seen those doc cases in a couple of yeafr..They might still be offered on very luxury lines, but I wont be on one of those to confirm it. Sounds like Alidor can

When you board AZ they will give you your room card in a leather creditcard type holder which you can carry around, we just stashed them in our cabin.

My DH is using his to store each gift card he has.

Im using mine to keep all my frequent shopper store cards seperated from gift cards etc etc in my purse.

Honestly, I dont miss these cases..they took up space and additional weight. Yes, I know its not much but every little ounce adds up these days when you have to pay for luggage and even your carryon can come under stringent wieght rules when flying inter Europe.

Also, I see alot of doc cases from many cruise lines in our local Goodwill, I wonder how many end up in the trash..

For BILL (our beloved AZ blogging guy)

Perhaps, for those that love them or would like at least one with the logo, AZ could provide them upon request.

That way everyone is happy!

I am not overly concerned about the document wallets and do not see the need for them; after all they went in the bin in due course and if we are all doing our bit for the environment, as Azamara are, makes sense

So long as you get the information in one place at the right time I am happy

I do like the little seapass wallets we have had on board, it might be nicer, rather than having them issued on the first night, as usually happens, if our seapasses were in them when we check in so we have them safely stowed from the outset, I find the cardboard wallet flimsy

A

I miss receiving a brochure of the shore excursions - I know, I know, I can download and print out but don't like to use up all that ink, time and paper. But those brochures were helpful in planning my DIMyself time on shore. I do actually still use a very well traveled document case from one of my first trips - its nice for putting my passport, e-docs and boarding passes in for the airport transits - keeps them all in one handy to grab place. Once we get settled in on the ship I can stow them away until heading home.

I think some travel agents still have their own little "folios" for some useless pieces of paper. I had hoped to get my luggage tags and a shore excursion booklet but I am all for a greener solution. :)

Thanks to all for the input...muchly appreciated!

Happy sailings....always!!!

It's still part of the "fun" when getting the docs. As for greener - hardly. Cheaper for the cruise lines but probably MORE paper is being printed as agents print them out for clients and clients print their own.

I use our old document cases to organize new cruises. I use one for each cruise planned and place hotel reservations, when made, e-reservations for plane, research I have done on ports, etc. for that cruise, all in the folder as I am planning. Everything is in one place and ready to look at or review.

I used to really like the "fancy" docs, but now have to admit

I'd rather do everything online, arrive at the pier and not waste any time

boarding as it used to be with all the pierside paperwork. I'm just fine with printing the express pass at home. You can have all the fancy paper in the world but it just does not matter. What matters is the quality of the shipboard experience and thats why we keep coming back to Azamara.

Maybe just like the optional luggage tags that are ordered online,

you could check a box to get a fancy docholder thingy with your luggage tags.

That way those who really want them can get them in advance.

I do use the seapass holder as a "frontpocket wallet"

I wrap a rubber band around it with my keycard, credit card and some cash. It goes in my front pocket, the rubber band makes it hard to remove from the front pocket... its kind of pickpocket resistant.

Bill hope yor read all of this....

Countdown clock is ticking faster and faster.......

I love the suedine bags in which Regent sends the docs. They are great as shoe bags for packing and I reuse them all the time.

I did note that our docs were emailed on Azamara. It didnt bother me.

I hate the Oceania baggage tags they weigh a ton. Also Regent metal baggage tags the leather look ones are ok.

I think some travel agents still have their own little "folios" for some useless pieces of paper. I had hoped to get my luggage tags and a shore excursion booklet but I am all for a greener solution. :)

Thanks to all for the input...muchly appreciated!

Happy sailings....always!!!

Hi Cindi,

You can still get the luggage tags by ordering them online. We received ours in the mail a few days ago and it was kind of nice.

Renee

Yes - I know you can order them online but I am only taking a carry on for the trip!!!! I wasnt thinking of checking any luggage ....just whipping on board bag in hand!!!! :D

You don't have to actually USE the tags. You get mail and some nice stickers to decorate your carry on!

Archived