Score 1 for NCL vs. RCCL

Michuck

You're half right.

I am an ex-NCL employee.

They treated me better (and paid me better) than any employer I have ever worked for in my life. I cannot say enough good things about my former boss and colleagues. I only regret that I didn't work there a bit longer.

But I still wouldn't pay to be a passenger on an NCL ship with the current product they are offering.

I'll reiterate what emcelh said "Sounds like an ex-employee with an ax to grind".

There must be a reason that you are an ex-employee even though you say they treated you better (and paid you better) than any employer you have ever worked for in your life.

There is no sense arguing with angry ex-employees. Besides anti NCL sentiments seem very welcome here and trying to discuss counterpoints usually gets people in trouble.

Buh bye.

PE

Swedish Weave,

People are going to start thinking we are in league with each other. You have helped make my point again.

Look closely.

NCL is offering free upgrades to get passengers on their ships.

Carnival Cruises is NOT.

Orbitz - a huge independent travel agent - is struggling to sell cabins (against major competition) on the most financially successful cruise line (Carnival) in the history of cruising. As a ploy to sell those cruises, Orbitz (not Carnival) is offering more perks to potential customers than the other large travel agencies are offering.

Carnival ships sail full EVERY cruise.

NCL ships occasionally sail full - but normally they do not (even with the free NCL upgrades).

Orbitz could not offer these upgrades without Carnival's approval. They could also not offer 77% percent discounts without Carnival's approval. I have shown you statistics to disprove your claims. What statistics do you have to support your comments? I would like to see something besides smoke and mirrors.

As additional information, I ran a search on some other travel agencies and saw the same or lower offers from them for Carnival cruises. How do you explain that, other than Carnival is offering these rates and upgrades?

Swedish Weave,

NCL have been in financial trouble for quite some time. And they will probably get out of it in time, with Mr. Sheehan's leadership.

But for the present they cannot fill their ships with the product they are offering, and are forced/willing to bribe their passengers with cabin upgrades to get them back.

All NCL passengers should take advantage of the situation while they can.

So, you're saying that NCL's product is improving. That's awesome because I really enjoy what they are offering now so I am really looking forward to the new and improved NCL.

What seems puzzling is that you say that they have a bad product right now, but people should hurry up and take advantage of what they offer?!?!?

With your confusing arguments that go in circles, I wonder if you are an NCL ex-employee because you are now working for congress. It seems that you would fit in nicely there.

You're half right.

I am an ex-NCL employee.

They treated me better (and paid me better) than any employer I have ever worked for in my life. I cannot say enough good things about my former boss and colleagues. I only regret that I didn't work there a bit longer.

But I still wouldn't pay to be a passenger on an NCL ship with the current product they are offering.

hate to tell you this, but most NCL ships are going out full or close to full and if you attended a latitude party you would realize there are many repeat cruisers. That is why the latitude parties now are offered twice. They can not accommodate everyone in one session.

You have every right to your opinion, but personally I like the product better now than in years past. At least all the ships were built for NCL. In years past they had a mixture of everything and no consistancey. They are also the pioneers of cruising in many ways. The only conplaint I can think of might the quality of food. It has gone down, but so have all cruise lines. You can't keep prices down, serve 2 to 3 thousand people several times a day and offer gourmet dining.

Nita

Swedish Weave,

Thank you for making my point for me.

NCL have been in financial trouble for quite some time. And they will probably get out of it in time, with Mr. Sheehan's leadership.

But for the present they cannot fill their ships with the product they are offering, and are forced/willing to bribe their passengers with cabin upgrades to get them back.

All NCL passengers should take advantage of the situation while they can.

Much of NCLs financual problems were created by the Hawaii or NCLA mess. As for not filling the ships, I still am not sure where you are getting your information. We sailed the Pearly last spring, it was filled to capacity and no, I don't think anyone got any upgrades. We are sailing the Spirit in Feb. Yes, they were offering an upgrade promo months ago and yes, we were lucky enough to book at the right time. Thank goodness, the ship is almost sold out and prices have jumped $200 per person.

Nita

hate to tell you this, but most NCL ships are going out full or close to full and if you attended a latitude party you would realize there are many repeat cruisers. That is why the latitude parties now are offered twice. They can not accommodate everyone in one session.

You have every right to your opinion, but personally I like the product better now than in years past. At least all the ships were built for NCL. In years past they had a mixture of everything and no consistancey. They are also the pioneers of cruising in many ways. The only conplaint I can think of might the quality of food. It has gone down, but so have all cruise lines. You can't keep prices down, serve 2 to 3 thousand people several times a day and offer gourmet dining.

Nita

"At least all the ships were built for NCL" ????

Norwegian Sky was built for Costa. They couldn't afford to take it. NCL picked it up for a song from Lloyd-Werft, who was nearly bankrupted in the process.

Norwegian Sun was designed and partially built for Costa, but they backed early in construction. NCL picked it up cheap.

Norwegian Star was designed and built for Star Cruises as Superstar Libra. It was transferred to NCL before construction was completed. Half the interior design was for Star Cruises - the other half for NCL. It was the first ship in NCL's "Libra Class".

Norwegian Dawn was designed and built for Star Cruises as Superstar Scorpio, and given to NCL after construction started. Half the interior design was for Star Cruises - the other half for NCL. The second ship in NCL's "Libra Class". I still have a copy of the deck plans from Meyer-Werfft, calling it "Scorpio".

Norwegian Spirit was designed and built for Star Cruises and operated as Superstar Leo for several years before being completely re-designed and transferred to NCL as NCL Spirit.

Pride of America was designed and built for American Hawaii Cruises, then rebuilt twice for NCL America when America Hawaii and the Ingalls Shipyard both went bankrupt in the process. The American taxpayers ate the entire mess and NCL got the ship for next to nothing. Since no shipyard in America would touch it, it had to be towed to Germany for completion. The Germans had to rebuild the hull to cover many design flaws and sank the ship in the process. Then they raised it and re-built it. It still looks like a troop ship.

Pride of Hawaii / Norwegian Jade was designed and partially built for American Hawaii Cruises, then re-built/completed for NCL America when America Hawaii and the Ingalls Shipyard both went bankrupt in the process. The American taxpayers ate the entire mess and NCL got the ship for next to nothing.

It might be a bit more precise to say that ""at least nearly half the ships were built for NCL".

Geeeez,

BruceMuzz you are such a downer, you need to take some happy pills.

Met my husband 1987 on the MS Skyward , been cruising NCL ever since and we love it. There are A LOT of people besides us that LOVE NCL.

Life is what you make of it. Life is short. Try to put a smile on your face.

You may want to recheck some of your "facts".

Norwegian Sky was built for Costa. They couldn't afford to take it. NCL picked it up for a song from Lloyd-Werft, who was nearly bankrupted in the process.

The Costa Olympica was laid up at Bremer Vulkan when Costa decided not to continue the build. This almost bankrupted Bremer Vulkan until NCL came along and bought the unfinished ship and towed it to Lloyd Werft to be completed as the Norwegian Sky.

Norwegian Sun was designed and partially built for Costa, but they backed early in construction. NCL picked it up cheap.

The Norwegian Sun was the result of Lloyd Werft completing the Sky and NCL ordering 2 more just like her in 1998. The first being the Norwegian Sun and the second being canceled.

Norwegian Star was designed and built for Star Cruises as Superstar Libra. It was transferred to NCL before construction was completed. Half the interior design was for Star Cruises - the other half for NCL. It was the first ship in NCL's "Libra Class".

NCL was subsidiary or Star Cruises at the time so technically it is the same company.

Norwegian Dawn was designed and built for Star Cruises as Superstar Scorpio, and given to NCL after construction started. Half the interior design was for Star Cruises - the other half for NCL. The second ship in NCL's "Libra Class". I still have a copy of the deck plans from Meyer-Werfft, calling it "Scorpio".

Same as Star, see above.

Norwegian Spirit was designed and built for Star Cruises and operated as Superstar Leo for several years before being completely re-designed and transferred to NCL as NCL Spirit.

No qualms here, except there was very little "re-design" before the transfer to NCL. A few years later she went through an extensive dry dock to make some significant changes to better suit the American market.

Pride of America was designed and built for American Hawaii Cruises, then rebuilt twice for NCL America when America Hawaii and the Ingalls Shipyard both went bankrupt in the process. The American taxpayers ate the entire mess and NCL got the ship for next to nothing. Since no shipyard in America would touch it, it had to be towed to Germany for completion. The Germans had to rebuild the hull to cover many design flaws and sank the ship in the process. Then they raised it and re-built it. It still looks like a troop ship.

My understanding, from what I have read is that this "ship" was little more than an empty hull that was towed over to Lloyd Werft for completion. Lloyd Werft stretched this hull, completed her interiors, sunk her, raised her, and delivered her to NCL as their first ship in the NCLA fleet where she remains today.

Pride of Hawaii / Norwegian Jade was designed and partially built for American Hawaii Cruises, then re-built/completed for NCL America when America Hawaii and the Ingalls Shipyard both went bankrupt in the process. The American taxpayers ate the entire mess and NCL got the ship for next to nothing.

This ship was built from the keel up for NCL as the second of the Jewel class ships by Meyer Werft. Just before her completion it was determined she would become part of the NCLA fleet under the name Pride of Hawaii. Upon the abysmal shortcomings of that program, she was renamed and reflagged as the Norwegian Jade.

It might be a bit more precise to say that ""at least nearly half the ships were built for NCL".

It might really be more precise to say that 1 or 2 of NCL ships were not completed and delivered with NCL in mind.

PE

You may want to recheck some of your "facts".

It might really be more precise to say that 1 or 2 of NCL ships were not completed and delivered with NCL in mind.

PE

I managed every one every of those ships except the Pride of Hawaii.

I was in the shipyards during the newbuilds of every one except the Pride of Hawaii.

I was on Superstar Leo when we crossed from Singapore to San Francisco with 1200 shipyard workers re-building her "on the fly".

Strangely I didn't see your name or face at any of those events.

I managed every one every of those ships except the Pride of Hawaii.

I was in the shipyards during the newbuilds of every one except the Pride of Hawaii.

I was on Superstar Leo when we crossed from Singapore to San Francisco with 1200 shipyard workers re-building her "on the fly".

Strangely I didn't see your name or face at any of those events.

When you say managed, do you mean you were the Hotel Director?

I'll take your word for your background, but what does that have to do with my response to your previous statements?

PE

DH and I are going on a cruise on NCL after many, many years of not sailing with them. We've done over 30 cruises with RCCL since then, and have NEVER been offered or given an upgrade.....just found out from NCL that they've given us an upgrade to a balcony cabin!!! Definitely a touchdown for NCL!!! DH and I are thrilled, and will definitely be looking in NCL for future cruises......

M.

Congrats on the upgrade.......balconies are just wonderful!!

I am a repeat NCL cruiser and will be sailing again in May on the Sky. NCL does things very well. Enjoy your cruise.

The day has finally arrived!!! We leave this afternoon on the Sky...I have to work 'til noon, then home to pick up DH, luggage, change from office attire into cruising attire and we expect to be onboard by 1:30....I think we're going to try the dining room for lunch - the other ships we've been on only have the buffet available on boarding day....it'll be something new!

Thanks everyone for your comments.....will write when we get back.....

Michele

Doesn't the same company own NCL and RCCL?

Nope.

PE

As of now, NCL is owned 50% each by Star Cruises & Apollo Management. There's talk of an IPO.

Star Cruises is an Asian Pacific Rim cruise line in the South Pacific, Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong.

Apollo Mangement owns (among many things) Oceania Cruises & Harrah's Entertainment.

I wish NCL, Star Cruises, Oceania Cruises & Harrah's had reciprocity for each others frequent customers' programs.

John

John

Okay, gotta tell you....we returned this morning from our Sky cruise....we've done lots of 3-niters on Royal Caribbean's Majesty (we live 5 minutes from the Port and it's a great weekend getaway). I LOVE this ship!! Everything was beyond my expectations, from the food, to the cleanliness of the ship, to the friendliness of the staff...I'll write a longer review later, but there just is NO comparison for 3-nite cruises between NCL and RCCL.

Any questions?

Michele

Okay, gotta tell you....we returned this morning from our Sky cruise....we've done lots of 3-niters on Royal Caribbean's Majesty (we live 5 minutes from the Port and it's a great weekend getaway). I LOVE this ship!! Everything was beyond my expectations, from the food, to the cleanliness of the ship, to the friendliness of the staff...I'll write a longer review later, but there just is NO comparison for 3-nite cruises between NCL and RCCL.

Any questions?

Michele

Glad you had a great time and can't wait to read your review. We found that the Sky gave us good value for our vacation dollar.

To the OP - have a great trip. We've never received an upgrade offer, but that's okay.

Your vacation is what you make it. The three modern NCL ships we have been on were all very different and each offered a unique experience. I am going to go way out on a limb and say that our trip on the Gem in May will be terrific, as well. The reason I say that is that my vacation is time away from my daily cares and time to spend with my wife. If a meal isn't perfect, I order something else. I can eat two desserts if I want, sleep as late as I want, see some fun entertainment, watch movies on my laptop (we bring all the DVDs that we didn't get to see at home), stroll on the deck at sunset with my wife and watch the sun set over the ocean, and just unplug from the world. If you choose to let things like missed ports (most often not the fault of the line or crew), a bad meal, or anything else ruin your trip, then that is your perogative, I guess.

Have fun, the best part is just being together and being able to cast your care aside for a week.

Our first 2 cruises were on RCI and we really enjoyed them except for sharing a table. We actually got upgraded to balcony on our 2nd cruise. On our next cruise we decided to try NCL and Freestyle-so 13 cruises later and we are hardcore NCL fans!

Thx to OP for noting a difference between NCL and RCCL that mattered, to them.

We are about to go on NCL Star for the third time, first time in a suite though, trying to temper our expectations since most everyone has a positive experience of these premium rooms.

We have done Celebrity, Oceania, Princess, NCL, and RCCL, the latter only once, mostly because for the price and itinerary, we always found one of the others offered something we preferred more. We always check pricing on all the majors and the premiums, and decide what matters to us.

Just goes the natural variation in cruiser experiences.

I have to agree with the OP. We were recently upgraded to a suite at a nice hotel. We appreciated it. Whatever the reason. We will be back.

We have a NCL cruise booked. It is the sixth line we will have tried. We have had insides, oceanviews, balconies and suites. Never an upgrade, but ALL the cruises were enjoyable.

Any questions?

Michele

My thoughts exactly, but I have to admit it has been many years since we did the Majesty.

Nita

I am not a fan of NCL or RCCL, but I have worked for both companies.

You need to ask yourself why it is that NCL is being so generous with upgrades and RCCL is not.

The answer is that NCL is having problems filling cabins and RCCL is not.

Then you need to ask yourself why it is that NCL is having problems filling their cabins - even with the generous upgrades.

The answer is that NCL is having problems getting people to cruise with them a second time. RCCL is not having this problem.

When you cruise NCL you will most likely discover why it is that NCL cannot fill their ships - even with the upgrades.

You will also be reminded of the old saying: "Never look a gift horse in the mouth".

I do not believe this at all. NCL has plenty of repeat cruisers. I've been to their events for repeat cruisers and have seen the show of hands at in the showroom of the repeat cruisers. There are many of us.

Archived