2011-new shorex offerings

cbb

We signed up for a Feb 2012 Asia cruise while on board so I thought I'd begin some prelim research by looking at the same cruise for 2011. I hadn't seen this announced (if it has been discussed I apologize):

"Oceania Choice Tours: For those travelers who prefer an added measure of intimacy and flexibility, we are pleased to offer our new Oceania Choice tours. With a minimum of 10 guests and a maximum capacity of just 16 guests, each tour benefits from a higher level of personal attention, a smaller touring vehicle and the added flexibility and agility that come from traveling in a small group. Oceania Choice tours are available for a specially selected number of tours in almost every port we visit, in every corner of the world."

The particular one I was looking at was a full day guided tour of Bangkok for $40. more than the 'full bus' O tour and visited the same places. Suddenly the O' shorex tours of Asia look pretty good as they have the "choice tours" for most of the ports.

We are on the Marina SF to Miami and I don't see this option. What cruise did you see this listed?

I just looked at the website and don't see any OCEANIA CHOICE TOURS for that voyage. You would find it under shore excursions and then on the left hand side, if it were available.

Try it with the Hong Kong to Athens voyage on the Nautica and you will see several excursions listed that way.

we're on the Imperial Interludes which is essentially the Exquisite Empires but ends in Tokyo instead of Beijing. I just now picked a couple of Asia '11 cruises in Jan and Feb and they were offering "oceania choice" shorex so perhaps they are testing this in the Asia market and if it successful they will offer it for other destinations.

We are sailing December 21st Rio to Buenos Aires and there are a few of these tours available...in Rio, Santos and Buenos Aires. I think they are doing this to compete with those of us who take "private" tours and stay away from the ship's big buses... their 10-16 is the equivalent of what I plan when sailing; however, the prices I and others get are still way below the "choice" that Oceania has....it's a question of whatever works for you. If you want the pleasure of a small amount of people and don't want the investigation and planning of your own private tours, then this is for you. Arlene;)

We are sailing December 21st Rio to Buenos Aires and there are a few of these tours available...in Rio, Santos and Buenos Aires. I think they are doing this to compete with those of us who take "private" tours and stay away from the ship's big buses... their 10-16 is the equivalent of what I plan when sailing; however, the prices I and others get are still way below the "choice" that Oceania has....it's a question of whatever works for you. If you want the pleasure of a small amount of people and don't want the investigation and planning of your own private tours, then this is for you. Arlene;)

Arlene - for me the research and planning of our private tours is fun and part of the anticipation of our cruises. I try to plan a private tour in each port and have had good luck getting CC members from the boards to join us. I also like the money that is saved when you plan the tours yourself.

Marion

Arlene - for me the research and planning of our private tours is fun and part of the anticipation of our cruises. I try to plan a private tour in each port and have had good luck getting CC members from the boards to join us. I also like the money that is saved when you plan the tours yourself.

Marion

Marion, I couldn't have said it any better than you do....those are exactly the reasons I book private tours. And you do meet the nicest people on CC...and the money we save, we can shop with!!! We have Dubai/Athens in April and I already booked 10 private tours with a variety of people from CC.....so much fun!! Arlene;)

We are about to order our shore excursions on our Beijing to Hong Kong, March 11 2011.

The tour for Kyoto Japan full day 10 hrs is $249.00 PP and the same tour for the Oceania Choice is $399.00 PP.

That is a $150.00 PP more for the same tour.We will stick to the old tour bus LOL.

Besides we have always used the ships tour where ever we sail for the last 30 yrs.

Love the security of knowing they will wait for us if we come back late.

When we make arrangements for private tours we always leave extra time for returning to the port. I like to get back to the port 1 - 1 1/2 hours before we sail. We have never missed a sailing. I don't feel rushed and have to watch the clock - concerned that the ship will leave us waving bye bye on the dock.

Marion

Arlene: How difficult was it to find tours in Dubai? I have been wondering about that port, it's on my bucket list. What ship are you sailing on for this cruise?

Marion

Marion, We are doing the "Big Bus" hop on/off taking in all of Dubai including a Dhow cruise and the Burj!! We arranged a tour for Abu Dhabi the day after we fly in and before boarding. One of my fellow CCers planned that one. But we have other tours planned for Oman and Fujairah -- one was recommended and the other I found on the net. Very easy and accommodating people. We are sailing 20 days on the Nautica in April 2011!! Cannot wait...we also stop in Luxor, Petra, Israel Port Said and Alexandria. Were in Egypt 3 years ago, but not Luxor -- we are going to Memphis and Sakkara from Port Said. I'll let you know how it was when we get back. Arlene;)

There was a time when that was true, but in todays economic climate, the ship leaving late can have all kinds of serious economic consequences.

I beg to differ.Two years ago in Ephisis our tour group from O got back 2 hrs late they waited.We had to have dinner upstair but they served.

I beg to differ.Two years ago in Ephesus our tour group from O got back 2 hrs late they waited.We had to have dinner upstairs but they served.

Anecdotally. we can all tell about times that the ship did (or didn't) wait.

My point is that booking a tour through the Cruise line does not a guarantee that they will wait.

Anecdotally. we can all tell about times that the ship did (or didn't) wait.

My point is that booking a tour through the Cruise line does not a guarantee that they will wait.

I can not really imagine a crusie line arranging airfare for a bus load of pasenger that arrive late to the dock,.

It happened back in 1997 when we where on RCL in Shangia.A tour that was on a train about 85 passenger's got derailed.Had to send 3 busses to pick them up.We left port at around 12 midnight.We where due to depart 5 PM.

I can not really imagine a crusie line arranging airfare for a bus load of pasenger that arrive late to the dock,.

It happened back in 1997 when we where on RCL in Shangia.A tour that was on a train about 85 passenger's got derailed.Had to send 3 busses to pick them up.We left port at around 12 midnight.We where due to depart 5 PM.

LOL, you made my point for me......Royal Cruise Line is out of business now.

Although they were a splendid operation, -and probably always waited-

GoldenRoyalCrownOdyssey01.jpg

Archived