Which Airline????

Tina0922

Flying out of Palm Beach or Ft Lauderdale next June for cruise with the family and RCI is only offering these two carriers from these airports....What carrier is better, Delta or U.S. Air? I tired International carriers out of MIA but too long of layovers and the ones with shorter layovers are in Paris which I heard is HORRIBLE. So, if you had to pick Delta or U.S.Air which would it be? Traveling with my father who is 6'5", so which is good for 'room'? Any particular row or seat for him? I dont think I can book emergency row now, can I? He is retired firefighter so God forbid "in case of emergency" he will actually be willing to assist there. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Tina

It really depends. It would be helpful if you would tell us your destination and what the connection choices are. I would be more concerned with the plane choices, the connection times, and the connecting airports.

I dont think I can book emergency row now, can I? He is retired firefighter so God forbid "in case of emergency" he will actually be willing to assist there. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Tina

I don't know about US Air, but Delta reserves exit row seats for their Medallion members, so you are correct; you would not be able to book at exit row, or a bulkhead seat, now. You might be able to get the seat switched the day of the flight, particularly if one or more of those same medallion members gets upgraded to first class.

Delta is in one alliance with KLM/Air France, so chances are likely you are going to end up going through Paris or Amsterdam. What is so horrible about Paris anyway?

Like wrp96 says, it would be helpful if we knew your travel plans.

Flying out of Palm Beach or Ft Lauderdale next June for cruise with the family and RCI is only offering these two carriers from these airports....What carrier is better, Delta or U.S. Air? I tired International carriers out of MIA but too long of layovers and the ones with shorter layovers are in Paris which I heard is HORRIBLE. So, if you had to pick Delta or U.S.Air which would it be? Traveling with my father who is 6'5", so which is good for 'room'? Any particular row or seat for him? I dont think I can book emergency row now, can I? He is retired firefighter so God forbid "in case of emergency" he will actually be willing to assist there. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Tina

Just curious why you are trying to use cruise air with limited airlines??? Please understand the restrictions on cruise air tickets. They are NOT the same as airline tickets booked directly with the airline.

As wrp96 posted, it would really help to have your destination.

Just curious why you are trying to use cruise air with limited airlines??? Please understand the restrictions on cruise air tickets. They are NOT the same as airline tickets booked directly with the airline.

As wrp96 posted, it would really help to have your destination.

I would guess that the destination is FCO (Mariner of the Seas 06/11). If so, consider Iberia, nonstop MIA to MAD and one change of aircraft to FCO.

Delta or U.S. Air?
Almost no difference between the carriers per se. Now there may be big differnce is price, times, connecting airport, available seats, etc. that would lead me to pick one over the other.

If I knew absolutely nothing other than the carrier, I'd take US AIR, just to avoid the possibility of an Atlanta connection.

Yes, I am checking this...been busy working and cant check while at work.

My family would be flying into Venice to do the land tour but flying home from Rome once the cruise is over. I live in the Ft Lauderdale area and rest of family is north of the Palm Beach Airport. Right now USAir from Palm Beach change over in Philly with 1 hr 35min layover. They are not offering any other flights. Out of Ft Lauderdale, we can choose Delta or USAir. Again USair is change over in Philly. Delta has a change over in Atlanta with a 2hr 50min layover. I fly in & out of Atlanta all the time to visit other family and have not had a problem so not worried unless you know something more about international flights!! :) Prices are within $50 of each other.

I have checked into Swiss & Iberia but either the layover was really long or we got into Venice after the time RCI told us we need to be there to begin the tour.

Thanks for the insight and assistance. Any other info greatly appreciated.

Tina

Greatam: Just curious why you are trying to use cruise air with limited airlines??? Please understand the restrictions on cruise air tickets. They are NOT the same as airline tickets booked directly with the airline.

Greatam, Why would you state that. The choice air is the exact same price as I am getting on Priceline, Expedia, and the actual airline websites. Being my family has never been here, we think booking the air through the cruise line so IF any situations occur they will be able to assist and us not going crazy. Also, when you book through the cruise line aren't they at the arriving airport to assist you???? Please explain your reason. Thanks.

Tina

Greatam, Why would you state that. The choice air is the exact same price as I am getting on Priceline, Expedia, and the actual airline websites. Being my family has never been here, we think booking the air through the cruise line so IF any situations occur they will be able to assist and us not going crazy. Also, when you book through the cruise line aren't they at the arriving airport to assist you???? Please explain your reason. Thanks.

Tina

Not greatam but booking through the cruiseline does NOT guarantee they will help you if something goes wrong with your flight. The exact language says they will try to help you, i.e. if you call us and we can help arrange new flights we will but we might not be able to and even if we are able to help you, you will still be responsible for any additional charges, fees, etc. I was once left flat by a cruiseline at the airport post cruise after they caused me to miss my flight (on cruiseline booked flight). The exact words from the cruiseline rep were "I'm too busy to help you, go see if your airline rep can help you."

Also, with choice air they no longer automatically add transfers so you would have to pay extra for those (which you can do even if you book air independently). As to actually helping you at the airport, you are still responsible for collecting your baggage and dragging it through the airport to the transfer bus. The rep usually just points you to the bus.

There are reasons you might book through the cruiseline but please don't rely on the cruiseline for the two reasons you list.

Tina

The Choice Air tickets are NOT the same as those booked on airline websites. It has NOTHING to do with price. It has to do with fare rules/fare classes. The cheapest of the tickets sold by Choice Air are non-reroutable, non-transferable, NON ENDORSABLE.

What does all this mean to you, the consumer?

Here is an example: You book the Choice Air ticket from FLL to PHL to VCE. BUT the plane from FLL (or PBI, whichever, makes no difference) to PHL is delayed, so you miss your PHL to VCE flight. UNLESS you pay additional charges (and they can be considerably more than what you paid for your original tickets-you can be charged the price of last minute, walk up, one way flights), you CANNOT be routed onto another airline's flight to JFK and then on to VCE. Your tickets are NO GOOD on another airline. You cannot change the routing. Those are the RULES for Choice Air/EZ Air/cruise air tickets. You will WAIT until the next flight out that has seats available to get you to VCE on the ORIGINATING airline.

With an independently booked ticket direct from an airline website, the tickets generally ARE good on another airline. The originating airline ENDORSES the ticket over to another airline. They get you on the PHL to JFK flight and on to Venice at NO ADDITIONAL COST. This is particularly true of foreign airlines. Most are VERY good about getting you to your destination. But US airlines have the same provisions in their tickets sold directly from their websites. Again, the Choice Air tickets are NOT the same as what you book from the airline.

AS wrp96 posted, DO NOT count on the cruise line for help. And cruise line booked tickets can torpedo your trip particularly when when you post that independently booked tickets direct from the airline are THE SAME price. Please read the sticky at the top of this forum to enlighten yourself about the downfalls of cruise line booked tickets.

Two other things I noticed in your posts: You are arriving JUST IN TIME to go on this Princess tour??? This could be a big downfall-long plane ride, jet lag, tired, irritable people who may not enjoy their expensive tour, a mishap along the way (missed connection, lost luggage). Please think this one through carefully.

One other thing-US Air is NOTORIOUS for lost/misplaced luggage at PHL. Been a major ongoing battle with two different unions (US Air and America West) for a few years. Airport management is very sloppy at PHL. I own an international logistics company. We used to ship a LOT of perishable freight out of PHL to the SE. We discontinued that operation a few years ago. We spent more in cargo claims than we made on the freight due to the fact that the baggage handlers at PHL could care less and often left our highly perishable freight sitting on the tarmac. These are the SAME baggage handlers that handle your luggage.

Greatam....thanks for explaining. So basically I should book directly through the airlines and not Choice Air with RCI. Also, I heard about Philly and the bags but there really isn't much we can do. USAir doesn't offer any other change over cities on the outbound flight. On the return, change over is Charolett. Delta changes in ATL outbound and JFK or Detroit coming home but is $100 pp more.

As for arriving that morning of the tour we have no choice. I am already taking 13 days off from work which is pushing it. That is why I am looking at flights that get in 9-10am and not later. We need to be there before 3pm to pick up the tour rep for transfers to hotel.

Ohhhh, I am so fustrated with these flight details. Never had to worry about them before since we sail out of MIA/FLL all the time.....Thank you everybody for answering questions and giving your opinions. I guess I still have some choices to decided.

Tina

Greatam....Also when checking Choice Air, they are showing refundable fares as well as non-refundable. Believe it or not the refundable fare was cheaper than non-refundable. What could that mean? Is that the class fare everyone was talking about on the 'sticky'?

Also, great sticky I read through. It is good to know all that before booking.

Thanks again, Tina

Greatam....thanks for explaining. So basically I should book directly through the airlines and not Choice Air with RCI. Also, I heard about Philly and the bags but there really isn't much we can do. USAir doesn't offer any other change over cities on the outbound flight. On the return, change over is Charolett. Delta changes in ATL outbound and JFK or Detroit coming home but is $100 pp more.

As for arriving that morning of the tour we have no choice. I am already taking 13 days off from work which is pushing it. That is why I am looking at flights that get in 9-10am and not later. We need to be there before 3pm to pick up the tour rep for transfers to hotel.

Ohhhh, I am so fustrated with these flight details. Never had to worry about them before since we sail out of MIA/FLL all the time.....Thank you everybody for answering questions and giving your opinions. I guess I still have some choices to decided.

Tina

Personally I'd rather change planes in Europe than in North America outbound, as there's a lot more choices once you hit Europe, whereas if your 1st flight is delayed (for example FLL-PHL), you're much more limited out of PHL to trying to get to Europe.

Coming home, again there's an advantage to changing in Europe, and that is your luggage will be checked through, unlike an American change where you'll need to collect and re-check.

That being said, your options to Europe out of MIA are

Oneworld: AA, BA/British Airways & IB/Iberia: LHR, CDG, MAD, BCN

SkyTeam: DL/Delta, AF/Air France & AZ/Alatalia: LHR, CDG, FCO, MXP

Star Alliance: TP/TAP Portugal: LIS

VS/Virgin: LHR

plus a few smallers companies like Condor to Germany; Air Europa to Madrid and Corsairfly to ORY/Paris Orly.

Changing in a major European centre is generally pretty easy, with the exception that I believe that BA's flights to VCE actually leave London's LGW/Gatwick airport (not LHR); which would be a royal pain.

Heck, another option is MIA-MXP/Milan Malpensa and take the train to Venice, it's 4 hours and about 40-50 Euro; which probably isn't much different that taking a 2nd flight and waiting for the connection.

Scott, using the train in Italy isn't a bad idea, with the exception that you have to pack in such a way that you can handle all your luggage by yourself. It's a bit more expensive than you mention if you take the express trains. The downside is that while you can book train travel ahead of time, you have to be careful to allow enough time between arrival and your train's departure for collecting bags and possible arrival delays. Pre-purchased tickets aren't transferable.

FCO is pretty handy. The train to Rome Termini is right across the road, then all you have to do is figure out which track at Termini to go to for the train to Venice. We figured it out, so it should be manageable for most people. There is a lot of walking involved...with your bags.

Greatam....Also when checking Choice Air, they are showing refundable fares as well as non-refundable. Believe it or not the refundable fare was cheaper than non-refundable. What could that mean? Is that the class fare everyone was talking about on the 'sticky'?

Also, great sticky I read through. It is good to know all that before booking.

Thanks again, Tina

PLEASE read the fine print. The REFUNDABLE fare is NOT guaranteed for price. You have 45 days to cancel. At that time, the price MAY or MAY NOT be established. In the end, you MAY be charged an EXORBITANT price. Book you own AIR!!!

It would REALLY help for a date SPECIFIC when your cruise/tour is leaving and what day you need to be in VCE. BUT: my suggestion-YOU personally have a deadline because of work but your Dad, etc does not. IF you want my honest opinion, I would get everyone to JFK (even if it means an overnight at a JFK hotel) however you can since you want to fly out of different airports. You can certainly make it to JFK on your own-NO NEED to have the whole fam damily on the same flight to JFK. THEN explore the Air Berlin flights from JFK to VCE-ONE STOP in Europe and flights arrive between 10 and 1 PM. There are also other carriers that fly JFK to VCE and return from FCO to JFK.

Either fly through JFK or fly through MIA and maybe rent a limo to pick up everyone who is going from Palm Beach to FLL. Just a few suggestions.

Thanks so much everyone....I think I am settled on flying out of MIA on June 22 on Altalia into Rome, and then Rome to Venice. The flight I am looking at gets us into Rome around 8:10am(if on time) the following day. Then Altalia has a flight at 9:20am and gets into VCE at 10:25 and then another at 10:10 and gets into VCE at 11:15. IF we miss the first hopefully they will be able to get us on the second one...or should I just book the later flight into VCE to begin with & not worry???? On the return it will be through JFK leaving Rome at 10:25am and getting into MIA around 10pm.

Now I just need to get rest of family on board ASAP and book it before prices increase. Thanks again everybody for the information.

Tina

If that is your only choice, then you need to book the 2nd flight. 1:10 to connect is tight and doesn't give you any allowances for delays. If you miss the earlier flight, there is no guarantee there would be space to put you on that 2nd flight.

Now I just need to get rest of family on board ASAP and book it before prices increase. Thanks again everybody for the information.

Tina

Save yourself a lot of stress:

Book your flights. Tell the rest of the family what flights you've booked. Give them the airline website and let them book their own flights. If they are not on board now, so be it; let that be their problem.

Archived