The Sanctuary

nhcpl57

If you haven't already, you can start by going here:

http://www.princess.com/video/dvd/Sanctuary.html

http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/kp/amenities_publicrooms/index.html

The first is the Princess video and the second shows a 360 degree panorama of the Sanctuary and gives a brief description. The biggest reason I book the Sanctuary for my wife and myself whenever possible is the chairs. First, they're significantly more comfortable then the ordinary chairs on deck and more importantly to me, there will never be a problem finding one because they're always waiting for us. It's worth every bit of the $15 per day each to us.

Where do you sign up for this? And for those that have, is it one of those things that you have to do as soon as you get on the ship especially for upcoming sea days?

It's our first stop after boarding the ship and dropping luggage off in the room. Just go to the Sanctuary and someone will be at the entrance signing people up (the second stop is the Chef's Table signup). There aren't a lot of spots for the duration of the cruise, so it's best to go as early as possible. If you don't get one of the spots for the entire cruise, you'd have to sign up each morning (get there as early as possible).

I keep hearing about " the Sanctuary" Can someone explain to me what it is Please? We will be on Crown Feb 5th 2011 thank you

I know that many on the boards boast the virtues of the Sanctuary, but I have yet to see the benefit. And on the cruises I have been on, the Sanctuary is usually empty.

Yes, there are a few people scattered inside, but I always hear you need to get there early to make sure and get a spot. I did not find that the case on any of our cruises. There are just as many other nice places to park your body... that are free. Of course, like they say... this is only my opinion, and I'm sure many others will take exception with my comments.

I know that many on the boards boast the virtues of the Sanctuary, but I have yet to see the benefit. And on the cruises I have been on, the Sanctuary is usually empty.

Yes, there are a few people scattered inside, but I always hear you need to get there early to make sure and get a spot. I did not find that the case on any of our cruises. There are just as many other nice places to park your body... that are free. Of course, like they say... this is only my opinion, and I'm sure many others will take exception with my comments.

I agree.

Of course, like they say... this is only my opinion, and I'm sure many others will take exception with my comments.

I would never take exception with your opinion, though I would differ with it. The only cruises I've been on where the Sanctuary wasn't fully booked is the Alaska trips. My next cruise is Australia/NZ and I'd bet without hesitation that it'll be fully booked on that one as well.

I agree. We spent two days there on our last cruise to the Carribean last month. Loved the lounge chairs - cushions are so thick and comfortable. The cushions on our cabin lounge chairs were so thin and worn that we took the cushions off the chairs and also used them. We had always heard so much about the Sanctuary and decided if we ever cruised during the holidays, we'd probably try to get a reservation (Hope you get in Carol).

We like suites because I'm to the point in my life that I really don't like to sit around pools and have to put up with some of the people around me BUT then there are times do I want to be with others. Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of neat people to talk to but there are many that I can't stand listening to their loud conversations. You are stuffed together like sardines. The Sanctuary is not the place to go if you like to talk to the person sitting next to you. We found most of the people very unfriendly but I guess you go for peace and quiet.

We sat in the sun but said the people looked so comfortable reading their books inside in the shade. The chairs face out and the day that we were in Antiqua, the views were outstanding. The bow of the ship is almost on land and the buildings are right in front of you. Kind of like that movie were the cruise ship crashes up into the town.

I didn't think it was very private in the sun. The entrance to the pool is right at the entrance so people are coming and going all the time. Some don't seem to know what the Sanctuary is because they just stand there looking at you trying to figure out why we are there. Now I know why the chairs were all free on that side. They really should have something higher than the fake bushes to block it off.

When we were in Alaska in May never saw anyone there.

We just got back from the Coral Princess, and my wife and I were discussing the Sanctuary. We felt it was a boon for those who had inside cabins or ocean view cabins.

It would be like having a balcony for $15 a day.

Also, especially on the CP where the balconies are not covered, it does give you more privacy

I have posted this on another Sanctuary thread previously but thought it might be worth re-posting here. Hope it helps.

Made a Big Ship into our own little Yacht

My partner and I just did a 10 day on Emerald. After reading the boards here on CC we decided that we were going to give the sanctuary a try for the whole 10 days if we could. We went to the ship EARLY... Like 9AM and were #1 in line to board behind the elite and platinum passengers and the transfer passengers from the previous cruise. When we saw all of them we thought... UGGH.

As soon as we got on board (Very quick throught the check in process BTW) I ran one way to book Chef's table and UBD and my partner made a B-Line for the sanctuart. We got the last 2 cruise long seats (So they said) and he was able to choose seats in the sun as we wanted.

So what's sogreat about this? First off... 10 day cruise, $150.00 each. That's a commitment. WE LOVED IT. If you look at the list of excursions, $150.00 each isn't unheard of for just 1 excursion so to have our own designated super comphy cushy chair, relaxing and quiet, getting to know our other sanctuary guests casually, not fighting for a space on sea days, and especially never feeling like we were on a ship with 3200+ other passengers... PRICELESS.

We also had been to each Island previously so this cruise was really more about the ship than the stops. We got off for a little while in every port but couldn't wait to get back to out little "Clouds in the sky" as we dubbed our chairs in the Sanctuary.

The sanctuary is like a first class upgrade on an airplane... it's not necessary but it sure feels nice. We would definately make the effort to get there early and do it again.

PS: we had a balcony cabin so this was not something we counted on instead if a balcony. I would never bet on having the sanctuary... you'd be setting yourself for a LONG cruise if you didn't get it.

Also, each tipped our attendants $20.00 at the end of the cruise and a little bit if we ordered something off the specialty menu. Good Karma for the next cruise I hope. ;)

When we did it, it was only for a couple hours on two afternoons after a walk into the ports. There were many lounge chairs and we wanted to be in the sun. But as we walked around, I thought that there would be times that I'd like to sit in the shade and read. So are you stuck in the same place (I know they can move them a little) for the entire cruise?? But there is no room to slide one in the front edge. So, the last people to sign up kind of get screwed with location -right?

We absolutely love Sanctuary. For the last two years we have booked inside cabins and then booked Sanctuary for the entire cruise. After returning from a port, it was nice to go and sit and not have to worry about finding a chair. We prefer the quiet to the noise around the pool areas. We had the opportunity to get to know the stewards well as it was not too busy. We have booked a balcony cabin for our next cruise, so we won't book Sanctuary, however, if we ever have to book an inside cabin again, we will definitely book Sanctuary as well. The full cruise spots definitely fill up fast, so you are going to want to board early and go directly there...apparently they only have so many spots that they can book for the entire cruise.

Darlene

So ... just to be certain I understand ... the Sanctuary is a reserved section of the ship where you pay to be admitted, either daily or cruise-long pass. Does every Princess ship have a santuary? I see it listed among the Crown's amenities on the Princess site, but I don't see one listed under Coral ... was confused by one of the comments that mentioned the Coral ... we're first-time cruisers sailing the Coral in March.

When we did it, it was only for a couple hours on two afternoons after a walk into the ports. There were many lounge chairs and we wanted to be in the sun. But as we walked around, I thought that there would be times that I'd like to sit in the shade and read. So are you stuck in the same place (I know they can move them a little) for the entire cruise?? But there is no room to slide one in the front edge. So, the last people to sign up kind of get screwed with location -right?

On our cruise, the area was not very crowded and they allowed me to move to another lounger in the sun whenever I wanted to sit in the sun.

The Sanctuary seemed a waste of money on our 16 day Asia cruise on Diamond. Usually 4 people up there, it was above the pool with the sliding roof which the barkeep who had been there 10 years said had never been open. Basically a balcony around the outside of the pool deck. There was more than enough room below and it never seemed crowded but its sure funny to sea a Russian Whale slathered in grease laying out by the pool in Speedos or a 65 yr old in a 17 yr olds bikini. Sure make you lose weight because you never had an appetite. I felt sick every morning at breakfast and finally went to sickbay and got a pregnancy check. :D:D:D

Upon embarking, can you book just one day or do they only take reservations for the entire cruise?

You can only book for the entire length of the cruise on embarkation day. You have to book your single-day pass on the morning of the day that you want to use the Sanctuary.

Archived