New Limits for Beverages Brought Onboard?

kyriecat

I wouldn't mind buying wine on board if HAL didn't mark it up so much. A bottle of wine that costs $9 at my local store costs $50 on HAL. Also, the wine selection is not as good on HAL. I think the corkage fee is the right way to go. We never drink in the cabin and always pay the corkage fee to have a bottle of wine we enjoy with dinner.

If HAL limited the number of bottles of wine, we would probably still not buy the HAL wines.

It may be just me, but it dosent sound very upscale or classy for what appears a lower class of cheap skates interested in penny pinching. Comes across like something Jeff Foxworthy might do.... You might be a redneck sortt of thing? I hardly think as someone suggested, this an adult activity...sounds more like a bunch of college or high schooler booze bingers...

Since beverage sales account for a large portion of the Holland America profit margin it seems very counter-productive to push this issue at all.

Look at this as though it were your business... and your trying to keep prices down and still support your family... Would you look kindly at people who tried at every turn to short-change or cheat you? I dont think your would like that very much

I would highly suggest that if you cant afford buying drinks or wine on the cruise...that you might need to reconsider taking the cruise.

I recently on a 2 week cruise bought all my liquor on the ship...except for a 6 pack of pepsi.... really is it really necessary at all?

At the end of our 25 day cruise with HAL we settled a bill of over $3000. Added to the approx $10k that the cruise had cost, the line did pretty well out of us. We bought wine at most of the ports we visited (in Europe) and brought it back aboard where we enjoyed it both on our veranda and in the restaurant (after paying the $15 corkage).

If we'd so wanted to we could have afforded to buy wine in the restaurant every night but we chose not to, and HAL gave us that choice. We were able to experience the local wines and as a bonus they cost us considerably less than those we purchased on board.

I'll just add here that at no time did we bring anything else on board (soft drink, beer), when we first boarded, or as the cruise progressed. When you travel from Australia you don't have the luxury of packing such stuff from a weight perspective.

To paint those who choose to bring wine aboard as penny pinchers, booze bingers and rednecks is ungracious and unwarranted.

One needs to consider that bringing unlimited extra wine, soda, and mixers seems like a great idea it is in the long-run going to produce I feel an very negative sitution.

While some just bring a few items or a 6 pack.....others flaunt case lots.

In a economic world Holland America is sooner or later going to calculate the fiscal impact to their operations as they recently did in the end of the wine card.

Second, I read threads about fare slashing and selling down rather than promoting a more "up scale" marketing.

It may be just me, but it dosent sound very upscale or classy for what appears a lower class of cheap skates interested in penny pinching. Comes across like something Jeff Foxworthy might do.... You might be a redneck sortt of thing? I hardly think as someone suggested, this an adult activity...sounds more like a bunch of college or high schooler booze bingers...

Since beverage sales account for a large portion of the Holland America profit margin it seems very counter-productive to push this issue at all.

Look at this as though it were your business... and your trying to keep prices down and still support your family... Would you look kindly at people who tried at every turn to short-change or cheat you? I dont think your would like that very much

I would highly suggest that if you cant afford buying drinks or wine on the cruise...that you might need to reconsider taking the cruise.

I recently on a 2 week cruise bought all my liquor on the ship...except for a 6 pack of pepsi.... really is it really necessary at all?

For years I have mentioned on this board that HAL should limit the amount of wine/champagne brought on board -- 1 bottle. Allowing people to bring on as much wine/champagne as they want only keeps HAL charging higher prices for their own on-board selections. If people were limited to what they brought on board -- then HAL could certainly lower their prices for bottles of wine/champagne.

I read here to often about people sneaking bottles of hard alcohol in their checked luggage. We are not among those people. We do buy HAL's alcohol -- some people complain that even that is over priced -- but if they lived in our state where we are governed by a State Liquor Control Board -- HAL's prices are just about the same as what we pay at home -- and HAL sells 1 liter bottles -- our state is just a fifth.

On our recent cruises -- besides the alcohol we bought for our cabin -- we also bought quite a few of the new Beverage Cards.

And although we are not big wine drinkers -- we do buy an occassional bottle of wine.

To paint those who choose to bring wine aboard as penny pinchers, booze bingers and rednecks is ungracious and unwarranted.

I honestly do no think that hawaiidan was saying that bringing on a bottle or two of wines at each port on a long cruise was being penny pinchers or Redneck. Who he was referring to is those bringing on cases of beer, cases of sodas and cases of bottled water from walmart :D I agree that those boarding a 7 day cruise and needing to bring on sodas and beer is just a bit tacky. I admit that one time we did bring on a case of champagne but we were also hosting a party that included over 70 Cruise Critic members so trust me those bottles of champage went quickly and we still spent plenty purchasing many bottles of wine.

As long as the policy is that you can bring all the wine, soda, and water you want on board, what is the problem? Not everyone is as independently wealthy as many of the posters here appear to be, and one poster made an excellent point as to how much HAL marks up cheap wines. Their selection is not very good, so we buy packages, wine cards and bring our own onboard for in-cabin use. For those of you who have a problem with people following HAL policy, I say get a life! No one is doing anything wrong, nor are they being cheap. No need to call them cheap, low class, penny pinching or other uncomplimentary adjectives. It is allowed, people decide to do it or not--we each make our choices. There is no reason to criticize anyone for their choice.

Happy New Year

ML

I don't buy sodas (or anything, for that matter) at Walmart, and I don't know what the origin of the beverage has to do with this conversation.

Tacky is the large group on our cruise who wore shorts, T-shirts, and backwards baseball caps in the dining room. (The DRM asked that they remove their hats [we saw it] but not that they otherwise dress appropriately.)

If I drink a Diet Dr Pepper in the privacy of my own cabin, having brought it on under my own power in a carry on, AND it's not against the rules, who cares? :confused:

I don't buy sodas (or anything, for that matter) at Walmart, and I don't know what the origin of the beverage has to do with this conversation.

Tacky is the large group on our cruise who wore shorts, T-shirts, and backwards baseball caps in the dining room. (The DRM asked that they remove their hats [we saw it] but not that they otherwise dress appropriately.)

If I drink a Diet Dr Pepper in the privacy of my own cabin, having brought it on under my own power in a carry on, AND it's not against the rules, who cares? :confused:

exactly--thanks for a rational voice.

ML

HAL will rarely enforce it. They know their clientelle and have no desire to allienate them so that they choose another line. I think we each can make our own decision and don't need someone to tell us right or wrong. The holier than thou poster might think it's perfectly all right to be a chair hog or dress in whatever they wish to wear in the dining room.

As long as the policy is that you can bring all the wine, soda, and water you want on board, what is the problem? Not everyone is as independently wealthy as many of the posters here appear to be, and one poster made an excellent point as to how much HAL marks up cheap wines. Their selection is not very good, so we buy packages, wine cards and bring our own onboard for in-cabin use. For those of you who have a problem with people following HAL policy, I say get a life! No one is doing anything wrong, nor are they being cheap. No need to call them cheap, low class, penny pinching or other uncomplimentary adjectives. It is allowed, people decide to do it or not--we each make our choices. There is no reason to criticize anyone for their choice.

Happy New Year

ML

A second rational voice at 10:24 p.m. :)

I`m sure HAL has hired many people with advanced degrees in business economics who will make the best financial decisions for the company as opposed to those who make business decisions for HAL while reading Cruise Critic in their pajamas.

I`m sure HAL has hired many people with advanced degrees in business economics who will make the best financial decisions for the company as opposed to those who make business decisions for HAL while reading Cruise Critic in their pajamas.
Somehow I think the good folks in HAL Revenue Management are aware of the impact that the policy of allowing unlimited wine & champagne has on the bottom line. But no doubt they check with CC gurus before making any changes. LOL.

I...those who make business decisions for HAL while reading Cruise Critic in their pajamas.

To paraphrase another poster--what does what you are wearing have to do with the quality of a business decision;):)!!

Just trying to lighten some of the tone of this thread!!

ML

One needs to consider that bringing unlimited extra wine, soda, and mixers seems like a great idea it is in the long-run going to produce I feel an very negative sitution.

In a economic world Holland America is sooner or later going to calculate the fiscal impact to their operations as they recently did in the end of the wine card.

Second, I read threads about fare slashing and selling down rather than promoting a more "up scale" marketing.

Wow I didn't think that because I happen to like diet pepsi and bring a 12 pack on my cruise made me a redneck or a cheap skate. I also think Jeff Foxworthy has alot of money and class. Mary

Just got off the Noordam.

Rolled on with 6 x large water bottles, 12 cans ginger ale, 24 small cans of clamato (1 liter bottle of vodka bought on board room service $24 plus 15%), and 10 bottles of wine.

Will sail with HAL again because of their policy compared to other cruise lines.

Still bought drinks on board and paid corkage.

I wanna party with you!!!!!!:D:):rolleyes::o:p;)

This could quite possibly be the most self-absorbed response I've ever read on these boards.

Well, good for you that you spent 2 weeks and bought every drink on the ship.

Maybe you should consider your remarks, and how "stuck-up" they sound, before putting it in writing.

This could quite possibly be the most self-absorbed response I've ever read on these boards.

Well, good for you that you spent 2 weeks and bought every drink on the ship.

Maybe you should consider your remarks, and how "stuck-up" they sound, before putting it in writing.

How very true. Hit the nail on the head.

How very true. Hit the nail on the head.

I couldn't agree with you more. We just returned home from the NA Christmas cruise and I carried six bottles of my "favorite" wine on board. I consider myself to be a "wine snob" and after previewing the NA's wine list

I promptly had our driver that picked us up at the FLL airport take me to buy wine for our cruise so that I could "ENJOY" my cruise. Didn't really consider us to be "cheapskates" since our entire cruise was over $15,000!

I just wanted to enjoy my cruise and that includes bringing the wine that I like si I cand sit on the verandah and enjoy the beautiful scenery! Our bill was close to $2000 at the end of the cruise and considering that the food is free and we did not do an excursion I guess bringing my own wine on board really cut into the HA profit margin!

I must disagree with this poster. On the Westerdam 2 weeks ago, my husband and I brought wines onboard that I know we enjoy. A couple were consumed in the cabin, while the rest were savored in various lounges and dining venues (where I gladly paid the corkage fee). The fact that I earned ample Mariner points from onboard spending on the cruise renders the poster's statements as conflated generalizations. Not all of us are skinflints trying to get away with something. Why shouldn't we have access to beverages not available on the ship?

Good for you. You sound like the typical cruise snob that many cruisers hate running into on a vacation. If people would prefer to bring wine onboard and the cruise line allows it, so be it. I suppose you wear a tux to dinner nightly and your wife packs 16 pairs of shoe as well

Has anyone else noticed that this board is curiously (and happily) lacking the elsewhere ubiquitous "rum runners", "how can I smuggle booze", and "naughty room" threads you find on most of the other boards? HAL keeps us happy with our bottle on the balcony and most of us are pretty willing to do our other drinking in the bard............where we've usually found the drinks to be quite reasonably priced.

Archived