Fly-cruising and bad weather such as this

LibraLass41

I have never done a fly cruise, or a Caribbean cruise, and a couple of things put me off (besides trying to get OH do fly long haul) and the thought of my long awaited one cruise a year being cancelled due to bad weather would be one of them....people who are due to fly out this weekend for a cruise must be so worried, on how they are going to actually get to the airport, (ours would be Gatwick/Heathrow - and all motorways around that area are in a terrible state at the moment), and then when you get there, the confusion and stress of if your flight will ever take off on time./next few hours, and if the ship will wait for you....

Just seen this message on P&O facebook for Oceana travellers:

Oceana Update - If you are travelling on TOM040 from Gatwick to Acapulco this evening we have been advised that your flight is delayed and will now depart at 9am on Monday morning. Check in now opens at 5am, please do not travel to the airport until then. We will be contacting all affected passengers this morning. All other flights to Acapulco tomorrow are still scheduled to depart Monday as planned.

So its good to see they are kept informed ; but what are your experiences of getting away to the Caribbean by air in the winter weather such as the last few weeks? Because at the moment I am not convinced that all the stress is worth it? Perhaps If I ever go it will be late March when Spring is on its way and the weather is (usually) better. But my dream is a Christmas cruise..Many of you do these, have you had problems getting to the Caribbean?

LibraLass, wouldn't you fancy one of the transatlantic repositioning cruise to or from the Caribbean? October one is before the real bad weather sets in and you only have the long haul one way. There's no problem about the luggage either as it is taken from the ship without weighing, so no panic if you go a kilo or 2 over. (On the October one, not March as you fly first)

It was painless and 5 Caribbean islands in one trip is plenty. We are doing the same trip on Azura next year, with different islands.

We've flown to Miami to join Princess cruises in January 2 years running: 2008 and 2009. The latter was a bit worrying as Heathrow had been closed on and off with snow, but it all turned out ok and we flew the day before sailing, so a little leeway there. The weather appears worse than ever this year. At least the P&O ship will wait for you if flights from the UK are delayed.

I wouldn't hesitate to book a Christmas cruise if I could. You just have to work round the weather. :)

Well we fly twice a year to the Caribbean, November for a cruise and end Feb to our apartment. Never ever had a problem but I must admit never gone in weather like this past week or so. We just got back from Azura end of Nov in the nick of time. Had more of a problem with delays from Barcelona airport back to the UK in the summer. We have more problems getting to Southampton so we love fly-cruises. We have done 3 and 4 week cruises to the Caribbean from Southampton and return and quite honestly as you only get 7 days max in the Caribbean it wasn't worth it, the journey back was a bore, 8 days at sea in cold rough seas, not for me. Just my opinion so for me yes the flight is worth it even though it may be delayed a few hours.

Must admit I am a bit nervous as we are due to join Arcadia World Cruise on 24th Jan in San Francisco. We booked with Virgin Cruises with a Virgin flight from Heathrow so was relieved it was not a BA flight as they are threatening to strike in Jan.

We are flying in day before we board but what will happen if flight is delayed or cancelled!!!! I am so concerned I have even looked into flights from LA to Hawaii which is the next stop for the cruise after San Francisco, but I dont know whether they wait in San Francisco for UK people to arrive as there will be lots joining or just carry on without us. Would they let us join later from somewhere else or just cancel our cruise. I have waiting so long for this that I would be devastated if it was cancelled.

Must admit I am a bit nervous as we are due to join Arcadia World Cruise on 24th Jan in San Francisco. We booked with Virgin Cruises with a Virgin flight from Heathrow so was relieved it was not a BA flight as they are threatening to strike in Jan.

We are flying in day before we board but what will happen if flight is delayed or cancelled!!!! I am so concerned I have even looked into flights from LA to Hawaii which is the next stop for the cruise after San Francisco, but I dont know whether they wait in San Francisco for UK people to arrive as there will be lots joining or just carry on without us. Would they let us join later from somewhere else or just cancel our cruise. I have waiting so long for this that I would be devastated if it was cancelled.

Have you tried asking Virgin Cruises about adverse weather procedure? Is your travel insurance good for adverse weather? I know P&O will wait for their own charter flights but not sure how it would work with scheduled.

Best of luck. Hopefully, the worst of this weather will be over by then. :)

We are due to fly from Gatwick to Barbados on 27th Dec, have booked airport hotel for night before, thats assuming we can get there by car,:confused:

will be phoning travel agent Mon am for advice, here's hoping???

Last year, our return flight was diverted to Birmingham and a coach provided back to gatwick, there really was very little snow there so no idea why

Rob & Brenda

We fly out on Boxing Day from Manchester which is a couple of hours drive for us, so we have booked an airport hotel for Christmas night rather than drive up that morning for a 7am check-in. Going to cook Christmas dinner here then leave the kids with the washing up!

We've done the transatlantic crossing and flown back from the Caribbean twice, I agree that would be a good option to try first as you are used to sailing from Southampton and would only have to fly one way.

If you book the whole fly-cruise with P&O they will take responsibility for getting you to the ship and back again come what may. Our flight was diverted one year, not through bad weather, and we ended up on Antigua instead of Barbados for our first night. Arcadia had waited for our plane load of passengers and the cruise set off a day late, with the itinerary being re-jigged slightly.

All the passengers who should have flown home on our plane's return flight had an extra day on board with free run of the ship's facilities, and we'd had an unexpected night in a hotel and morning on a beach on Antigua with free food and drink, as well as a refund of the cruise fare for the day we missed. You won't be left to fend for yourselves.

Similarly if you end up coming back to a different airport here for whatever reason, they will bus you back to your intended destination (we had this in November as Birmingham was closed).

Carol x

I would say that Fly-Cruises are definitely worth doing, but obviously a lot of luck comes in to play. I wouldn't risk going at this time of year, because one of us is ALWAYS ill....... this winter has been a nightmare for bugs, flu, etc.

We did a Caribbean cruise back in April on Independence of the Seas. We flew home two days before the Ash cloud crisis......... we were very fortunate to get home on time, to say the least:cool::). It was the most amazing holiday EVER, but I'm not in a rush to repeat the experience as I find long-haul flying really unpleasurable (I can never sleep, no matter how hard I try and therefore it takes me days to recover from jet-lag).

My daughter has a friend who is going on a Bahamas cruise over the Xmas period - not sure when or where they are flying from, but I would imagine they're getting a bit jittery. I also know of someone who was going to New York for a few days (yesterday from Heathrow) but unsurprisingly, didn't make it and has no chance of re-booking whatsoever.:(

I'm looking forward to hopefully going on Oceana in August, I'm not a huge sun worshipper, so hot weather is not a priority for me. Did a fly-cruise on OV1 in 2009, and it was a bit TOO hot (Med in August)!

Like Sue, I would love to do a Christmas cruise, but it will probably be the good old Canaries, if I'm lucky!

Hey all,

We are off on Azura in Feb with P&O and starting to worry the same thing will happen with us. Good to see P&O do sort you out though. If flights are delayed etc I take it the cruise gets cut short? Shame they dont tack a day or 2 on at the end.

Fingers crossed no snow in Feb!!

''LibraLass, wouldn't you fancy one of the transatlantic repositioning cruise to or from the Caribbean? October one is before the real bad weather sets in and you only have the long haul one way. There's no problem about the luggage either as it is taken from the ship without weighing, so no panic if you go a kilo or 2 over.'' U2CRUISER.

U2

Yes I would fancy a trans one way fly cruise. Agree a good idea to start with. Ideally a round trip fromSOuthampton would be nice, but we are both still working so not enough time off work, and its toolong to leave the parents sadly. One day, one day....:rolleyes:

The current Ventura cruise N031 seems to have been hit by the UK weather and flight disruptions, presumably at least the Gatwick flights have been affected. As a result on checking the Barbados port website it appears that Ventura is still there today, even though it should be in St Lucia according to its itinerary and P&O's website now says its next port will be Antigua. But I doubt that the Gatwick flight made it today so possibly a further delay may be necessary.

However I cannot find any info about Ventura delays on P&O's website.

The current Ventura cruise N031 seems to have been hit by the UK weather and flight disruptions, presumably at least the Gatwick flights have been affected. As a result on checking the Barbados port website it appears that Ventura is still there today, even though it should be in St Lucia according to its itinerary and P&O's website now says its next port will be Antigua. But I doubt that the Gatwick flight made it today so possibly a further delay may be necessary.

However I cannot find any info about Ventura delays on P&O's website.

We have just arrived back today from the previous cruise, was a bit of mayhem at Barbados, Two Gatwick flights were very late but did arrive, one Thomas cook flight from Manchester was supposed to leave Bridgetown at 14:00 but arrived early hours of today, we were lucky, our Thomson flight arrived and dept bang on time and made back to Manchester at 07:00 today.

Was a shock from 30 degress to all this snow, i cannot get warm, had a fantastic time.

This winter so far and last years have been unusual for the cold snowy weather, I can't remember it being this bad for decades. So I guess I'm saying is it freak weather ? or something that is going to happen more often, well until the experts reach a conclusion I'm going to put it down to a freak weather condition.

I wouldn't let it put me off booking a winter fly cruise, the weather is amongst other things such as strikes, travel companys going bust, illness in families and redundancies that can do for the holidays. I don't think there is any greater risk with the weather than any of the other factors I have mentioned.

I would go to the Caribbean in January/Febuary time the weather seems to be better over there in the new year.

Latest on the flights trying to get out to meet Oceana today:

Oceana - Here are the latest flight departure times that we have for todays flights

TCX20K from London Gatwick - 1635

TCX29K from Newcastle - 1420

TOM892 from Manchester - 1443

So it looks like PandO are doing their very best to get the cruisers out to the ships.

I have never done a fly cruise, or a Caribbean cruise, and a couple of things put me off (besides trying to get OH do fly long haul) and the thought of my long awaited one cruise a year being cancelled due to bad weather would be one of them....people who are due to fly out this weekend for a cruise must be so worried, on how they are going to actually get to the airport, (ours would be Gatwick/Heathrow - and all motorways around that area are in a terrible state at the moment), and then when you get there, the confusion and stress of if your flight will ever take off on time./next few hours, and if the ship will wait for you....

Just seen this message on P&O facebook for Oceana travellers:

Oceana Update - If you are travelling on TOM040 from Gatwick to Acapulco this evening we have been advised that your flight is delayed and will now depart at 9am on Monday morning. Check in now opens at 5am, please do not travel to the airport until then. We will be contacting all affected passengers this morning. All other flights to Acapulco tomorrow are still scheduled to depart Monday as planned.

So its good to see they are kept informed ; but what are your experiences of getting away to the Caribbean by air in the winter weather such as the last few weeks? Because at the moment I am not convinced that all the stress is worth it? Perhaps If I ever go it will be late March when Spring is on its way and the weather is (usually) better. But my dream is a Christmas cruise..Many of you do these, have you had problems getting to the Caribbean?

Sue I have the answer.

Go out on the October transatlantic and come back in March April. No flying involved at all.

I am up for it how about you.:D

So thats a B to B to B to B to B to B to B to B to B or something like that.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Sue I have the answer.

Go out on the October transatlantic and come back in March April. No flying involved at all.

I am up for it how about you.:D

So thats a B to B to B to B to B to B to B to B to B or something like that.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

Please can I join your roll call? :D

We have just arrived back today from the previous cruise, was a bit of mayhem at Barbados, Two Gatwick flights were very late but did arrive, one Thomas cook flight from Manchester was supposed to leave Bridgetown at 14:00 but arrived early hours of today, we were lucky, our Thomson flight arrived and dept bang on time and made back to Manchester at 07:00 today.

Was a shock from 30 degress to all this snow, i cannot get warm, had a fantastic time.

We too fell victim to the weather our flight, TCX 76L TO MAN, was delayed by almost 12 hours,having fallen victim to the conditions at Gatwick. But we stayed on board Ventura, soaked up more sun and dined throughout the day.

We only do Caribbean fly cruises, 3 OV and 1 P&O, and land -based Barbados. This was our first major delay and it will not stop us going again, hopefully, next year if the pennies don't run out.

I'd rather be the one stuck onboard in Barbados than the one stuck in Heathrow trying to get out there, thats for sure ;)

I like how P&O look after everyone on the ship when flights are disrupted.

So, are you joining us in October? :D

I like how P&O look after everyone on the ship when flights are disrupted.

So, are you joining us in October? :D

U2

Tell me more about your cruise, its my 50th Birthday next October and I'm looking for a cruise or something nice for my birthday, no cruises booked for the future as yet, going to Lake Garda for a week in May , thats all so far.:)

Don't use Bristol either, anywhere else is quite a drive away,. Gatwick just as bad as Heathrow for us. The flights to Oceana are still being delayed though sadly.

They do use Bristol, although I believe this winter is the last, A104 departing 18/2/11, there are still seats available, join us :)

U2

Tell me more about your cruise, its my 50th Birthday next October and I'm looking for a cruise or something nice for my birthday, no cruises booked for the future as yet, going to Lake Garda for a week in May , thats all so far.:)

It sails on 28th Oct. 14 or 15 nights, A124 (or A124A with overnight in Barbados on the ship for 15 nighter - highly recommend) 3 sea days, calling at Madeira, then 5 sea days, first stop Antigua, St Maarten, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados. Fly back from Barbados. Great itinerary. Caribbean is so easy to to do by yourself as the islands are small and you're never that far away from the ship.

We enjoyed the sea days so much. There was such a lot going on and the Atlantic was like a mill pond. It was strangely nice with no birds, planes or ships for days, and you get 4 x 25 hour days as you put the clocks back 4 nights. Excellent value too. You need a portside balcony cabin for the sun. :)

Archived