Favorite / Least Favorite Ship Names

wcook

Note - This should NOT be considered a serious discussion.

Of the RCI ship names, which do you really like or not like. And why?

My random thoughts…

1) Love Voyager, Explorer, Adventure. Sounds like fun! Mariner, not so much. And Navigator? Just blah. I want to voyage, explore.. have adventures. Not stand over some charts and navigate.

2) Freedom, Liberty, Independence? Great American values, sure. But don't scream "cruise ship" to me. Monarch and Majesty aren't working for me either.

3) Grandeur I like. Splendor sounds like an artificial sweetener.

4) Enchantment of the Seas? Wasn't that the prom theme in Back to the Future??

5) Jewel? Probably my favorite name, even if it dose conjure up some Titanic connotations. Not sure why… just a great name.

Least favorite: Brilliance of the Seas

Most Favorite: Voyager of the Seas

Would also not like: Chicken of the Seas; Nursing Home of the Seas; Behemoth of the Seas (which is what I voted for instead of Oasis....how can you have an Oasis in the sea?); Outhouse of the Seas (which is what Carnival Splendor must have smelled like) and come to think of it, any ship name preceded by "Carnival." :eek:

Pete

I also think Oasis is a ridiculous name for a ship! Allure is not a lot better. Love the names Voyager, Explorer and Adventure. Jewel is my favorite too, but Serenade is no kind of name for a ship. However, I like Radiance and Brilliance. So many ships, so little time!

I think they should start reusing previous names instead of coming up with the new ones. The Oasis, Allure, Independence, Liberty all sound stupid.

Sovereign II, Majesty II, Monarch II, Empress II, ect.

Those were the cool names, they just need to be rehashed like HA does with their ships.

Now all the names are being used by many different lines so it looses its uniqueness(if thats a word?).

I also think Oasis is a ridiculous name for a ship! Allure is not a lot better. Love the names Voyager, Explorer and Adventure. Jewel is my favorite too, but Serenade is no kind of name for a ship. However, I like Radiance and Brilliance. So many ships, so little time!

I agree. I thought they should have named it Excelsior instead of oasis (you know, like the humungous new ship u.s.s. excelsior in star trek III).;) now thats what i think is a great name for a ship.

1) Love Voyager, Explorer, Adventure. Sounds like fun! Mariner, not so much. And Navigator? Just blah. I want to voyage, explore.. have adventures. Not stand over some charts and navigate. 2) Freedom, Liberty, Independence? Great American values, sure. But don't scream "cruise ship" to me.[/color]

My thoughts:

• LOVE the names like Mariner, Navigator! I find the nautical references to be very appropriate for a ship, and subconsciously make me want to sail on them!

• Freedom, Liberty, Independence: These are names that were selected post 9/11 when people in the US were feeling very patriotic. Carnival also launched their own Freedom and Liberty during that same time period. It made sense back then. Not so much now.

• Jewel: Any names that have to do with jewelry/precious stones (including Norwegian Gem, Jade, etc) sounds tacky in my humble opinion. Feels like the name of the ship was sponsored by a duty free jewelry shop.

Outhouse of the Seas (which is what Carnival Splendor must have smelled like) and come to think of it, any ship name preceded by "Carnival." :eek:

There's always someone who feels the need to make this type of comment....:rolleyes:

Who really cares what the name of the ship is. :confused: It doesn't make the cruise any better or any worse does it? Since Neptune is the "lord of the seas" why don't they name a ship after him?

I got a kick several months ago on the HAL thread. Some guy said that since HAL's ships always end in DAM, they should name the next ship "I Don't Give a Dam". How does that grab you? Only problem with that is, I Don't Give a Damn is the name of the shortstop on Abbott & Costellos's baseball team. Anybody over the age of 50 remember that? :rolleyes:

Note - This should NOT be considered a serious discussion.

Of the RCI ship names, which do you really like or not like. And why?

My random thoughts…

1) Love Voyager, Explorer, Adventure. Sounds like fun! Mariner, not so much. And Navigator? Just blah. I want to voyage, explore.. have adventures. Not stand over some charts and navigate.

2) Freedom, Liberty, Independence? Great American values, sure. But don't scream "cruise ship" to me. Monarch and Majesty aren't working for me either.

3) Grandeur I like. Splendor sounds like an artificial sweetener.

4) Enchantment of the Seas? Wasn't that the prom theme in Back to the Future??

5) Jewel? Probably my favorite name, even if it dose conjure up some Titanic connotations. Not sure why… just a great name.

THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT SHIP NAMES BUT REAL BOAT NAMES FROM THE ST.LAWRENCE RIVER AREA OF CANADA:

Wet Spot

Bull Ship

Hoof Hearted

AB,S Office

Branch Office

Archived