Dream dessert

Tina G

Hi, I like the bread pudding in the Lido, warm with vanilla sauce. They also had a wonderful chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup several years ago in the main dining room. May only be available in the Pinnacle now? Enjoy your cruise--

I have 2 to die for desserts on HAL.

In the Lido Buffet is the Bread Pudding.

In the Pinnacle Grill is the Volcano Cake!!

Another that is ALMOST as good as the Volcano Cake is the Chocolate Mousse in the Main Dining Room (Have no idea what the real name is, but is is goooooooooddddddddd!!!)

Joanie

The one time I tried the Love Boat dream, it wasn't too dreamy for me:D. I found it to be gluey and not all that tasty. It might have been an off night because people seem to rave about it. I'll have to give it another try in a few days.

The one dessert I love on HAL is the Snickers Pie. It is extremely rich but it's SO good. Generally HALs desserts are nothing to write home about.

Hi, I like the bread pudding in the Lido, warm with vanilla sauce. They also had a wonderful chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup several years ago in the main dining room. May only be available in the Pinnacle now? Enjoy your cruise--

I think you might be referring to Chocolate Tulip they used to serve in MDR. That were delicious but I haven't seen it for a long time.

I almost always skip dessert but they teased me unmercifully this last cruise on Maasdam.

One morning, I read they were offering "Cappucino Bomb" on the dinner menu. I thought about that dessert all day and couldn't wait until it was time for dessert. My steward was surprised I was ordering dessert as it's always "No, thank you" from me but I was tasting that 'bomb' I remembered so well from years past and he had to say, "So Sorry, but we don't have it."

I felt like a little kid who had her chocolate Santa taken from her. Oh well....... guess I really didn't need it but I sure wanted it. :) (Long time HAL cruisers may remember those coffee flavored chocolate hard shells filled with wonderful ice cream..... They are soooo good.)

The HAL version of a NewZealand pavlova is a favorite of mine - crispy baked meringue circles with dark cherries and other goodies. I like most of the desserts as a pleasant sweet way to end a meal and they do keep the portion sizes modest so they are usually all eaten at our table. The Lido cookies are better than most, particularly the chocolate chip and the pink M&M chocolate cookies.

Our end of the meal ritual is an espresso for DH and a jasmine tea for me, and the HAL dessert whatever it is. It gets eaten. But woe, it is the morning treat I missed this time on the smaller Statendam that I had gotten used to on the larger Oosterdam and Zuiderdam - powder sugar donuts. Nope, none to be found on Statendam mornings.

We are new to HAL, after many cruises with Princess. What is the dessert to die for? Will I go into withdrawal from my LoveBoat Dream? Is there a special dessert celebration that we should not miss?:p

Chocolate Volcano Cake in Pinnacle Grill

Tiramisu Trio in Canaletto

Creme Brulee on Le Cirque night in the Pinnacle Grill (note, this is different than Pinnacle Grill's creme brulee)

Nothing beats the Carnival Cruise Warm Chocolate Melting Cake!

Amen!!

The best dessert at sea, on any cruise line.....

HAL's desserts have a wonderful advantage, however....I get to save on calories because none of them in the MDR are that tempting.....

Other than the bread pudding at the Lido, I cannot remember being impressed with one dessert.

Oh wait... the raspberry cheesecake at the Pinnacle was pretty good.

I am one of those people who do not care for the bread pudding in the Lido -- sometimes it was burnt -- the sauce often was very watery. So I haven't had it in years.

Now the Chocolate bread pudding that we have gotten on the Amsterdam years was excellent. And the chocolate bread pudding that was served at our recent Mariner's brunch was very good.

Chocolate Volcano Cake in Pinnacle Grill

Tiramisu Trio in Canaletto

Creme Brulee on Le Cirque night in the Pinnacle Grill (note, this is different than Pinnacle Grill's creme brulee)

I agree. The tiramisu trio was delicious! We went back and made reservations for Canaletto for a second evening because everyone wanted dessert!:D

diane

I'm not a dessert person, but I do recall enjoying the special rice pudding with palm tree sugar syrup that was served with the Indonesian lunch.

I disagree with the general sentiment that HAL doesn't do good desserts; it's just that there usually isn't some sinfully decadent 3,000 calorie diet-buster on the menu. It's more basic fare - eclairs, ice cream, fruit sorbet, cheese plate, etc.

Way back in The Day, they used to do tableside flambes - Bananas Foster, various crepes, etc. Those were wonderful, but I don't know if they still do them (tableside or otherwise).

I will say that the desserts on HAL and other cruise lines do look very appetizing. However, I don't believe the taste measures up to the appearance. Perhaps they have economized on certain ingredients in recent years?

There is a LOT of gelatin used, replacing eggs, butter, cream. I don't need a gazillion-calorie dessert, but I do prefer that the taste and texture is appealing. For me, gelatin is a deal-breaker.

Archived