Bringing food on board

KathyF.

Just wondering what the policy is? Not that we need to bring anything on board with us but we are traveling with 2 young kids and are spending 2 nights in Miami before and after the cruise. I may have some snacks - goldfish crackers for example - with us for the plane and the hotel.

Are those allowed on? It's just beverages that aren't allowed on?

Just wondering what the policy is? Not that we need to bring anything on board with us but we are traveling with 2 young kids and are spending 2 nights in Miami before and after the cruise. I may have some snacks - goldfish crackers for example - with us for the plane and the hotel.

I doubt you will have any problem at all with the ship. TSA on the other hand may not be so child friendly. Solids don't get much attention these days but liquids are another story. Enjoy :)

I doubt you will have any problem at all with the ship. TSA on the other hand may not be so child friendly. Solids don't get much attention these days but liquids are another story. Enjoy :)

TSA Policies that are in place for air travel won't have any effect on what you can bring on a cruise ship. If you are flying in and you are worried whatever item you want to bring on the ship won't be allowed on a plane.... just purchase once you land.

You won't have any problems bringing goldfish on but you might have issues bringing them off in port if they aren't sealed. Many ports have restrictions for bringing food off the ship and charge huge fines. You are allowed to bring off factory sealed products since they don't pose an agricultual hazard as say fruit could. I would buy the individual packages so you can bring them off in port for snacks too.

You are free to bring any amount of solid foods onboard airplanes and the ship. You can bring off all prepacked foods. Most country have strict standards regarding bringing off fruits, vegetables or meat products due to agriculture restrictions in their countries and strict fine can be imposed; however, I've never seen any inspections of bags as your getting off the ship. Your ship's newsletter should list any restrictions. Almost all ports have the markets and convenient stores to purchase snacks and you are free to bring those back onboard the ship. All bags are screened and search as you re-board the ship mostly for alcohol or weapons, etc.

Not a problem...even liquids can be brought onto the ship (as long as it's not alcohol!)...the TSA rules don't apply.

Has nothing to do with TSA; Royal Caribbean International has it's own policy prohibiting guests from bringing on board ANY beverages (does not matter if it contains alcohol or not). That said, this policy is very, very rarely enforced for non-alcoholic beverages.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000fkdWcQPKmLbwvGJA-UbICbp:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

Not a problem...even liquids can be brought onto the ship (as long as it's not alcohol!)...the TSA rules don't apply.

Really I thought you couldn't bring on canned drinks or bottled water??

Other question regarding food -

If we get off the boat let's say in Cozumel and want to go to Paradise beach for a few hours after brunch. Can we take a few things from the ship to snack on or is that a big no no. Not even sure what - maybe a muffin or a canned coke?

Just wondering about doing that rather than purchasing stuff in port. I guess I could take the individual snacks if I bring some for the plane - like cheese and cracker packages.

If we get off the boat let's say in Cozumel and want to go to Paradise beach for a few hours after brunch. Can we take a few things from the ship to snack on or is that a big no no. Not even sure what - maybe a muffin or a canned coke?

Just wondering about doing that rather than purchasing stuff in port. I guess I could take the individual snacks if I bring some for the plane - like cheese and cracker packages.

It is illegal to bring many food items into most countries without having them cleared by local authorities (i.e. meats, dairy products, fruits and vegetables and sometimes other food items as well). Most countries allow you to bring in factory sealed items (i.e. granola bars, energy bars, potato chips etc. so long as still sealed in factory packaging). Canned coke should be fine in most ports. Muffin could be iffy and would not advise taking the risk.

Has nothing to do with TSA; Royal Caribbean International has it's own policy prohibiting guests from bringing on board ANY beverages (does not matter if it contains alcohol or not). That said, this policy is very, very rarely enforced for non-alcoholic beverages.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000fkdWcQPKmLbwvGJA-UbICbp:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqType=faq

Here is what the above link says...

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers ( water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol.

Their own answer contradicts itself... If I can't bring non-alcoholic beverages as it states in the first paragraph, then how could they possibly inspect my water or soda bottles for alcohol?!?!?!?!?!?

I do not personally bring non-alcoholic or alcoholic beverages on board, so it doesn't affect me. But I have always found this Q&A funny and about as clear as mud for someone who wants to bring water or soda.

I say bring the water or soda, worst case scenario they throw it away. You are only out a few dollars (the cost of a case is not much more than just one soda purchased onboard).

AGAIN... I DO NOT BRING ANY KIND OF DRINK ONBOARD WITH ME, I just find this answer from RCI amusing.

I take pretzel, chips,nuts, water,soda, juice all the time. Some I pack in checked, some I carry on. Have done it in San Juan, Miami, FLL, PC and have never had an issue. I like to snack, so need so low fat stuff to take along with me. Do it on every cruise we go on.

You are free to bring any amount of solid foods onboard airplanes and the ship. You can bring off all prepacked foods. Most country have strict standards regarding bringing off fruits, vegetables or meat products due to agriculture restrictions in their countries and strict fine can be imposed; however, I've never seen any inspections of bags as your getting off the ship. Your ship's newsletter should list any restrictions. Almost all ports have the markets and convenient stores to purchase snacks and you are free to bring those back onboard the ship. All bags are screened and search as you re-board the ship mostly for alcohol or weapons, etc.

In Cabo San Lucas they usually search people's bags, although they had gone off duty by the time we left the ship a couple of weeks ago. In New Zealand, they searched bags in every single port, even brought beagles onboard. Those are the only 2 places we're seen inspections, but it's still illegal in most of the ports we've sailed to.

I take wine and have never had a problem - as well as little airplane size bottles of gin.

I don't think the OP wants to bring gin for her kids. ...

If you want snacks for the port, bring prepackaged items with you (like cheese and cracker packages or granola bars). About the only prepacked items the cruiseline has available are those individual boxes of cereal which can usually be found on the buffet.

Archived