questions on Paul Gauguin

cruisingsfun

Hi everyone. I just got an early Christmas present. My husband and I are signed up for the Paul Gauguin 10 night cruise on May 25. We took the package that includes air fare. Does anyone know when the flight usually is? We will be flying from LAX. I've also read about lots of snorkeling. Should we bring our own snorkel gear, or is it supplied by the ship? A couple years ago, we took a Windstar cruise and they gave us gear for the week. Sure would be convenient if Paul Gauguin also did this. This will be our first PG cruise. So any words of wisdon are appreciated.

Gail

Welcome to the PG board Gail

You will be on the ship one month before us so here's some dos and donts

1) enjoy the use of the snorkel gear they provide - you will get instructions where to get them when you board

2) Ask your travel agent about what flight you will be on. ATN is fiddling with their flights so its hard to hazard a guess

3) Enjoy the motu days including my favourite the Bora Bora motu ... paradise

Do not finish all the champage keep a few bottles for Texed and Mtn Driver who will be visiting after you not to mention myself

Do not tire Elmo, Efren and Randy we need the bartenders in peak condition for our trips

Enjoy! Enjoy!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Congrats on your trip. When you get on the ship they will have you go to the on board marina and each of you are fitted with mask, fins and snorkel (as well as a snorkel vest if you want on) and you take this with you in a mesh bag for the duration of the cruise.

We were on the 4:00 pm flight out of LAX and the return is left Tahiti just before midnight. As others have said, you will have to wait a while to find out for sure.

Also a first timer on PG --will be on the Feb 9th cruise.

I need advice regarding pre-booking vs booking excursions on board.

I have a nice OBC and would like to use it for excursions however I am not sure how quickly these sell out.

What have others experienced on PG ?

We're debating whether or not to bring our own masks & snorkels. They don't take up much packing space & we know they fit. What do most folks do? Take their own or use the ship's? Does PG have a good selection of masks & snorkels? What type fins do they have - full foot or open heel?

If we decide to use the PG stuff, is it OK to take it off ship if we're doing independent excursions?

If you have your own masks and snorkels, I would recommend that you bring them. The ones on the ship are more than adequate, but your own will fit you better. We bring our own masks (much higher quality) and snorkels with check valves...makes the experience even better.

Do not finish all the champage keep a few bottles for Texed and Mtn Driver who will be visiting after you not to mention myself

Do not tire Elmo, Efren and Randy we need the bartenders in peak condition for our trips

Hmmm... we will be traveling the week before you so we will be sure to look Elmo, Efren and Randy up and do our best to tire them. Champange - we'll try to leave a little for you.

You'd be better to move your reservation to a week earlier. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this somewhere else also....but just in case....this is our first time to be on a cruise where drinks were included.....we both drink Crown Royal and I also love dirty martinis. Is there a way for us to find out exactly what brands and drinks are included or is the sky the limit? Thanks!!!!:confused::eek:

Island gull , if you really like Crown Royal ask your TA to put it through as a special request and they will likely keep it on board it case they dont have it.

I dont know if the do this any more but in the suites they likely will give you two bottles in your cabin. I dont know because the last time we went it was still under Regent and some things may have changed under the new PG brand.

I have a couple of questions as we get closer & closer to our magic day:

1) Does PG send out documents or do we print them ourselves? If they're sent, what's in the package? When does it arrive?

2) Do passengers receive a satchel or tote (separate from a snorkel gear bag) once on-board? If so, does it have the PG logo?

They do send out the document in a royal blue microsuede bag. Inside, would be all your documentation (flights, cruise voucher, hotel vouchers if you have booked pre or post cruise stay), plus booklets detailing the amenities on board, a separate booklet on just the excursions, ship information, including a contact number, and your luggage tags which show on what deck your suite is.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the ship in January 2011. We did not receive any tote, nor did we notice other passengers carrying them.

The tickets did arrive in mail, in royal blue suede bag, with subtle PG logo. The package was heavy, largely due to the book of excursions. Not necessary to carry the thick excursion book with you. The ship has list of excursions, on one sheet, much lighter.

However, it provided interesting reading during the long flight.:p

Enjoy!

Archived