Amalfi coast vs Cinqe Terre for honeymoon/beaches

cruise kitty

DD & her fiances are looking into Italy for their honeymoon, about 12 days, last week of May, first week June. They will spend the last 5 night in Rome, doing serious sightseeing, but for the first part, they want Italian beaches & sunshine. Anyone have experience in either Amalfi Beaches vs cinqe terre? Hotel recommendations?

**I realize this is a cruise forum, but I've always received such great tips here:) Thanks in advance.

DD & her fiances are looking into Italy for their honeymoon, about 12 days, last week of May, first week June. They will spend the last 5 night in Rome, doing serious sightseeing, but for the first part, they want Italian beaches & sunshine. Anyone have experience in either Amalfi Beaches vs cinqe terre? Hotel recommendations?

**I realize this is a cruise forum, but I've always received such great tips here:) Thanks in advance.

Both areas are fantastic! Yeah... I would probably suggest a cruise but only because I am partial to cruising the Med. Especially after 5 days in Rome :)

BUT... in regard to your question, I would probably pick Amalfi over the Cinque. BUT... I do love the Cinque Terre also! I guess it depends? The Cinque Terre is more like laying on the rocks and hiking from town to town. The Amalfi would give you more beach life and other villages to explore as well. The historical site of Pompeii (if they haven't been) would be something extra that the Amalfi Coast has. Both are gorgeous areas though. For more information, check out the Trip Advisor. It would be more suited to a land based vacation.

Enjoy! Sounds like a great honeymoon!

Most of Italy does not have the wide, sandy beaches we are used to. Even Amalfi has only a few small beaches, and the Cinque Terre, as stated above, is mostly rocks.

The Maremma, in southern Tuscany, is considered by many one of the most beautiful beach areas in mainland Italy. Away from the mainland, Sicily has several beautiful beach areas.

Rimini is beautiful as well, if they are open to the Adriatic side.

Thanks Hylasgirl & Eurocruiser,

Our oldest DD & SIL did the MED cruise for thier honeymoon a few years back, & they loved it, however, younger dd & Fiancee want to try to mix up a little culture & some lazing on a beach... they're headed to a travel agent on Wed, but want to have some ideas of what to ask for ahead of time.

Thanks again:)

We agree with Terry (Eurocruiser). There are few good beaches on the Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre is mostly a rocky coast. If you want great beaches you should go to Hawaii, the Caribbean, or some places along the east coast of the US. There is a reason why many Europeans come to Florida....and its the beaches and weather. Go to Italy for the culture, food, sites, etc. but not for a beach vacation. That being said, there are some fine sandy beaches scattered around the Greek Islands if you want to consider this for the future.

Hank

We agree with Terry (Eurocruiser). There are few good beaches on the Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre is mostly a rocky coast. If you want great beaches you should go to Hawaii, the Caribbean, or some places along the east coast of the US. There is a reason why many Europeans come to Florida....and its the beaches and weather. Go to Italy for the culture, food, sites, etc. but not for a beach vacation. That being said, there are some fine sandy beaches scattered around the Greek Islands if you want to consider this for the future.

Hank

Totally agree; this is not the place to visit if you want what we would consider great beaches.

Positiano would be my choice. LOVE it there!!!! They have options of Pompeii and Capri right there.:o:o

If money is no object we certainly agree. But when we vacation in the area we stay at nearby Praiano where we can get accomodations with free parking for a very reasonable price. When we want to go to Positano we can simply grab the local orange bus that takes us right down into the town (no parking hassles). When we do driving trips in Europe we always factor the parking situation into our planning....particularly within Italy.

Hank

Archived