Transport from Tauranga Cruise dock to Rotorua?

We were there twice on a cruise in the fall. There will be a number of tour operators there offering their services. Also, in the I-site just beyond the tour operator "pen", there will be some tours offered for sale that can be booked without having to select an operator on your own. There will also be car rentals available in the same area.

When we were there, the port had just tried to organize the whole port operation allowing only two tour operators at the opening to the "pen". This is done on a lottery system of some kind. However, you can walk beyond these two and talk to the various tour operators on your own if you wish.

The tour operators were not pleased with this new arrangement that started in October, so it's possible it's changed since then. Since we were there twice, we did a tour to Roturua the first time which wasn't a great weather day, and on our return a few days later when the weather was nice, we climbed the mountain that is close to the ship, then rewarded ourselves with a nice Thai lunch.

Just our experiences, mind you.

We are cruising and want to visit the Polynesian Spa in Rotorua on the day we dock in Tauranga. Would appreciate very much any info on how to transport ourselves to and from.

Thanks so much!:)

Ahnalira

Kia ora i Rotorua,

Rotorua is just under an hours drive from the port at mount Maunganui. While there are some buses running between Rotorua & Tauranga they are more for workers and not frequent. As mentioned, if you have one destination in mind a rental car is the best option provided you are comfortable driving on the left hand side of the road. Besides the Polynesian spa there are a number of free attractions near-by, such as Kuirau park with its thermal activity which has a small hot lake as well as bubbling mud pools. The nearby Ohinemutu area boasts one of the country's best known Marae and has the adjacent Maori Church of St. Faiths with its carvings and tukutuku panels. Geo-thermal activity is evident all around and if you are lucky you may see the boiling water being used for for domestic purposes. Historically it is an important area in Rotorua and has a good view of the lake (one of many in the area) and Mokoia island (parts of Polynesian spa also overlooks the lake). Trust this helps.

Aquarians

You mentioned the country's best known "Marae". What is "Marae"?

Thanks for your response.

Kia ora,

The marae is actually the courtyard in front of an ancestral meeting house and together with the wharenui (meeting house) serves as a focal point for the tangata whenua (local people).

The marae is more than a building and has great spiritual and emotional significance to the tangata whenua with the carvings portraying historical events of significance to the members. It is here that tangihana (mourning'funeral service) and other events of importance for Maori take place. It is a place where oratory plays an important role and where Maori culture, identity and manaaki are present and evident (manaaki = care for, entertain, show respect for, hospitality). In additional to the intangibles the total marae marae concept would include the courtyard (marae atea) the meeting house (wharenui) a dining room/store (whare kai) and often a church (whare karakia) if other than the meeting house. Frequently tribal burial grounds (urupa) are adjacent or nearby. The wharenuii & wharekai have personal names, the wharenui usually being named after the founding ancestor buildings, eg. Tama-te-kapua is the meeting house at Ohinemutu. The Rotorua area has a large number of marae, eg. at Ohinemutu there are two very close to each other on the shores of Lake Rotorua, both at times being wafted by mist from the geothermal activity in the area. Trust this rather inadequate explanation helps

Aquarians

Thanks, everyone, for your help! It's good to know an hour will get us there; that's just about how much time we have from when our cruise ship allows debarkation to when our appoint ment is:p I think for that reason we'll probably go with a cab or driver because it's faster.

Ahnalira

We were there twice on a cruise in the fall. There will be a number of tour operators there offering their services. Also, in the I-site just beyond the tour operator "pen", there will be some tours offered for sale that can be booked without having to select an operator on your own. There will also be car rentals available in the same area.

When we were there, the port had just tried to organize the whole port operation allowing only two tour operators at the opening to the "pen". This is done on a lottery system of some kind. However, you can walk beyond these two and talk to the various tour operators on your own if you wish.

The tour operators were not pleased with this new arrangement that started in October, so it's possible it's changed since then. Since we were there twice, we did a tour to Roturua the first time which wasn't a great weather day, and on our return a few days later when the weather was nice, we climbed the mountain that is close to the ship, then rewarded ourselves with a nice Thai lunch.

Just our experiences, mind you.

Just back from the Diamond Princess cruise and can update on Tauranga. It is the best organised Port of Call on the cruise. You will find in the "pen" lots of rental cars and vans lined up with signs on them saying Rent Me. The private tour operators were allowed in "en mass" once the ship had clearance and we watched as a long procession of cars, vans and limos rolled in and parked in about 3 rows. Many of these had been booked and drivers were holding up signs with the passengers name on them, but there were also several who were available to be booked on the day. Once they were booked however that was it and no more rolled in, but there seemed to be plenty for everyone. There was also a local shuttle available to take peopleto the City of Tauranga, but the day we were there was a public holiday , so not much use as many of the shops would have been shut.

• 1 month later...
Just back from the Diamond Princess cruise and can update on Tauranga. It is the best organised Port of Call on the cruise. You will find in the "pen" lots of rental cars and vans lined up with signs on them saying Rent Me. The private tour operators were allowed in "en mass" once the ship had clearance and we watched as a long procession of cars, vans and limos rolled in and parked in about 3 rows. Many of these had been booked and drivers were holding up signs with the passengers name on them, but there were also several who were available to be booked on the day. Once they were booked however that was it and no more rolled in, but there seemed to be plenty for everyone. There was also a local shuttle available to take peopleto the City of Tauranga, but the day we were there was a public holiday , so not much use as many of the shops would have been shut.

We will be in Tauranga on the Sun Princess in a few weeks and we're still trying to figure out the best way to get a rental far for the day. For convenience, we'd like to hop in the car right as we get off the cruise ship and be on our way. Looking at old posts, people recommend Pegasus and there is also mention of Rite Price Rentals. Both appear to be locally run (or NZ based) companies. However, there were some concerns of other CC members about their insurance coverage. Then there is the bigger world-wide companies like Hertz and Avis, but neither of them seem to have delivery or pick up service from the cruise port.

Do you remember the names of the companies that had rental cars ready for rent by the port? Any idea how much the going day rates were at the "pen?"

Anyone have a recent successful and stress-free car rental experience at this port and can recommend a company?

Thanks in advance

We will be in Tauranga on the Sun Princess in a few weeks and we're still trying to figure out the best way to get a rental far for the day. For convenience, we'd like to hop in the car right as we get off the cruise ship and be on our way. Looking at old posts, people recommend Pegasus and there is also mention of Rite Price Rentals. Both appear to be locally run (or NZ based) companies. However, there were some concerns of other CC members about their insurance coverage. Then there is the bigger world-wide companies like Hertz and Avis, but neither of them seem to have delivery or pick up service from the cruise port.

Do you remember the names of the companies that had rental cars ready for rent by the port? Any idea how much the going day rates were at the "pen?"

Anyone have a recent successful and stress-free car rental experience at this port and can recommend a company?

Thanks in advance

Hi

We were on the Volendam in December and hired a car at Tauranga. We had an arrangement with Pegasus and I would honestly hesitate to use them again. The car at Tauranga was fine, it was the cars after that that were a worry.

There were alot of cars at the port so you won't have trouble getting a car. From memory, I am sure I saw Avis, I remember the big red banner across a couple of cars. They had various size cars, so you had a choice.

I have a feeling I took a photo of Tauranga Port either when we got there or when we got home that had pics of all the cars so will look when I get home tonight and let you know.

If you wanto use a tour excursion operator go no further than the organisation that pays to advertise at the top of this forum.

They have been doing it right in NZ for many years, and the owner used to post here frequently until due to some over zealousness he was banned. Shame, as he always provided unbiased opinions without necessarily promoting his own business. Irony is that he still advertises here !

Hi

We were on the Volendam in December and hired a car at Tauranga. We had an arrangement with Pegasus and I would honestly hesitate to use them again. The car at Tauranga was fine, it was the cars after that that were a worry.

Would you care to elaborate on that a little, for the sake of people not from Oz or NZ?

Your comment could be interpreted to imply that the cars were unsafe, or not roadworthy.

I'm sure you know that, as in Australia, all cars in NZ are subject to regular, stringent roadworthiness inspection and certification. Cars up to 6 years old have to be inspected once a year. Cars older than that are subject to 6-monthly inspections.

While they nay not be new, all rental cars have to be safe.

Would you care to elaborate on that a little, for the sake of people not from Oz or NZ?

Your comment could be interpreted to imply that the cars were unsafe, or not roadworthy.

I'm sure you know that, as in Australia, all cars in NZ are subject to regular, stringent roadworthiness inspection and certification. Cars up to 6 years old have to be inspected once a year. Cars older than that are subject to 6-monthly inspections.

While they nay not be new, all rental cars have to be safe.

Happy to comment because I have contacted the company due to issues we had. We are aware that the cars are inspected yearly/6 monthly and are surprised that one particularly car has gotten through!

Cars in NZ, I was told, tend to be older, which is fine. I don't have a problem with that. We were told by one bus driver that "people" go overseas and buy up cars from Japan etc and bring them back to NZ. Again, no issue. Don't know whether it is true or not, just what we were told.

Anyway, the first car was great, had about 60,000Km on the clock, that's fine. Went well, nice to drive. We hired 2 more cars in NZ, with the last one being the worst. It had 280,000Km on it, we asked for a small car (can't be guaranteed I realise this) but we got a station wagon. The car had next to no power steering, hardly any brakes (had to pump them hard to stop) and 2 bald tyres. We went about 50kms in it, stopped in a town for a few hours and then went back to the port, we were too worried to drive it any further.

So, that is our concern. I dont know if other rental companies in NZ have the same sort of cars, but that was our experience.

Hi

quote]

Kirra - could you clarify WHAT PORT and COMPANY the comment about the CARS AFTER THAT.

You should always do a visual inspection of a vehicle before you sign any paper work - check the tyres etc. If you are not happy resolve or walk away.

We used Rite Price in Tauranga and they were very professional and I have no problem recommending their services. We hired a 12 seater Van and it was reasonably new - can't remember the no of Km's, but Hubby was very happy with the way it drove. I would rent from them again, be it a car or van, as the vehicles are not old with 100,000 kms travelled.

The earlier comment by another on the thread - The Bus Drivers information was a little out of order in some respects. There are companies under such titles as "Rent A Dent" etc. just like in other countries all over the world.

As for Insurance - if you are concerned you can buy the 'extra' insurance, but we never bother as our Travel insurance covers Car Insurance Excesses. Read your Travel Insurance policy before you travel. Again read the information before signing anything.

A further note - To pick up cars and drop off at ports usually attracts an extra fee as does a one day hireage. The providers do need to recover their costs. I have no problem with that. Maybe the reason some of the "Bigger" companies don't bother.

Happy to comment because I have contacted the company due to issues we had. We are aware that the cars are inspected yearly/6 monthly and are surprised that one particularly car has gotten through!

Cars in NZ, I was told, tend to be older, which is fine. I don't have a problem with that. We were told by one bus driver that "people" go overseas and buy up cars from Japan etc and bring them back to NZ. Again, no issue. Don't know whether it is true or not, just what we were told.

Anyway, the first car was great, had about 60,000Km on the clock, that's fine. Went well, nice to drive. We hired 2 more cars in NZ, with the last one being the worst. It had 280,000Km on it, we asked for a small car (can't be guaranteed I realise this) but we got a station wagon. The car had next to no power steering, hardly any brakes (had to pump them hard to stop) and 2 bald tyres. We went about 50kms in it, stopped in a town for a few hours and then went back to the port, we were too worried to drive it any further.

So, that is our concern. I dont know if other rental companies in NZ have the same sort of cars, but that was our experience.

Thanks for coming back and clarifying.

I know that Pegasus does tend to use older cars (that's why they're cheaper than Avis or Herz) but the condition of that station wagon was definitely unacceptable. I would have been tempted to drive straight to the police station to report it! Even though the inspections are only 6-monthly, the owner has to keep the car in a compliant state for the rest of the time, between checks.

As others have ponted out, it is a good idea to do a "walk-round" any car you hire, before accepting the hire. I know that the brake and steering problems would not have been apparent immediately, but the bald tyres should have been.

Archived