Perfect example of why you should get a passport.

Sue L

I appologize if i am missing something here,but why would the passengers need pass ports? In the scerenio from the o.p, they wouldnt need one to fly to Aruba. when their ship returns to the u.s.and they are on the ship , at that point on a close cruise they shouldnt need a pass port. Right?:)

For the cruise they didn't need the passport, but in order to fly to Aruba they most certainly do require one. The only Caribbean ports that US citizens do not is St Thomas, St Croix and Puerto Rico all the rest require a passport to arrive by plane and none require cruise ship passengers to have them.

Earlier this year, my travel agent flew solo to Australia to visit a friend before boarding a ship. On the long flight from the US, she developed blood clots in both arms, which traveled to her lungs. In Sydney, she needed an ambulance, a public hospital, a private hospital, a hotel for about a week and multiple MD visits while she was getting stabilized on blood thinners, an over-land trip to board the ship (was unable to fly), medical care on board, and an upgrade to first class for the flight home. Her travel insurance provided a case manager to help manage her care and covered everything that socialized medicine did not.

How many thousands of dollars would it have cost her out of pocket if she did not have travel insurance?

I board a ship in 1 week. My insurance cost $79. I understand that it's not worth it for others. For me, it's worth it.

My medical insurance would cover my medical treatment anywhere in the world. Would it cost money yes, doesn't everything? Again, it is about personal risk assessments. It is personal choice. I prefer to be able to make my own choices, about most anything. I assure you that the day that it all goes to complete poop on me I won't be on here whinging about how it is somebodies elses fault or responsibility.

jc

My medical insurance would cover my medical treatment anywhere in the world. Would it cost money yes, doesn't everything? Again, it is about personal risk assessments. It is personal choice. I prefer to be able to make my own choices, about most anything. I assure you that the day that it all goes to complete poop on me I won't be on here whinging about how it is somebodies elses fault or responsibility.

jc

Many US insurance do not cover out of country medical nor medical evacuation. It is something everyone should check with their actual carrier for.

Let me see if I have this straight. You are demanding - all caps, multiple explanation marks - that people get a passport. Why? Because if they don't spend the $300 on passports, there is a one-in-a-thousand (one in 10,000? one in 100,000?) chance that they will miss their cruise and lose a few thousand.

Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense. There are many good reasons to get a passport. This isn't one of them.

OUCH! Yes, I used caps. You are a little harsh. Many other countries require that their residents have passports. When you consider the fact that a passport is valid for 10 years the cost is really not that great.

Thanks for the responses regarding closed loop cruises - I get it now! :-) If I could add my humble 2cents - I think as long as someone has done a cost/benefit analysis on any number of choices - travel insurance, acquiring a passport, renters insurance, etc - and understands the risks involved..then...it's your life - do what you want. We all gamble in certain ways - some more than others - sometimes we win - sometimes we lose big. An acquaintance of mine drove without insurance despite numerous admonishments and warning from others. They caused an accident (killing someone) and ended up losing their home, brokerage accounts - basically everything the law allowed. They lost that gamble big time. I know someone else who has the maximum amount of insurance in every conceivable way - hasn't used any of it...yet - but she sleeps soundly at night - that would be me. :-) I guess everyone has their own tolerance for risk and consequences.

Thanks for the responses regarding closed loop cruises - I get it now! :-) If I could add my humble 2cents - I think as long as someone has done a cost/benefit analysis on any number of choices - travel insurance, acquiring a passport, renters insurance, etc - and understands the risks involved..then...it's your life - do what you want. We all gamble in certain ways - some more than others - sometimes we win - sometimes we lose big. An acquaintance of mine drove without insurance despite numerous admonishments and warning from others. They caused an accident (killing someone) and ended up losing their home, brokerage accounts - basically everything the law allowed. They lost that gamble big time. I know someone else who has the maximum amount of insurance in every conceivable way - hasn't used any of it...yet - but she sleeps soundly at night - that would be me. :-) I guess everyone has their own tolerance for risk and consequences.

I know what you mean, my fathers worked for the same company for 35 years. He's paid an extra $12 a month for superior health insurance that most people opt out of. He recently found out he had bladder cancer, and the first months medical bills were $35,000 alone. He paid pennies compared to that thanks to the insurance. You may think you're saving money, but in the long run it can cost you big.

Earlier this year, my travel agent flew solo to Australia to visit a friend before boarding a ship. On the long flight from the US, she developed blood clots in both arms, which traveled to her lungs. In Sydney, she needed an ambulance, a public hospital, a private hospital, a hotel for about a week and multiple MD visits while she was getting stabilized on blood thinners, an over-land trip to board the ship (was unable to fly), medical care on board, and an upgrade to first class for the flight home. Her travel insurance provided a case manager to help manage her care and covered everything that socialized medicine did not.

How many thousands of dollars would it have cost her out of pocket if she did not have travel insurance?

I board a ship in 1 week. My insurance cost $79. I understand that it's not worth it for others. For me, it's worth it.

Wasn't it nice to be somewhere, where the essential health care didn't actually cost anything?

There are mixed reviews about this topic. Since we are on the subject of obtaining passports, shouldn't they be carried while off the ship? If you happen to miss the sailing, you will need that passport to get to the next port, etc. I have seen where passengers say they leave their passport in the room safe. I used to do the same thing and then heard of someone being injured while in port and needed to stay in the hospital. Do the cruise lines mention this at their cruise talks the first day onboard? If not, they should. I haven't cruised for almost eight years and don't remember if this topic was in the information talk.

There are mixed reviews about this topic. Since we are on the subject of obtaining passports, shouldn't they be carried while off the ship? If you happen to miss the sailing, you will need that passport to get to the next port, etc. I have seen where passengers say they leave their passport in the room safe. I used to do the same thing and then heard of someone being injured while in port and needed to stay in the hospital. Do the cruise lines mention this at their cruise talks the first day onboard? If not, they should. I haven't cruised for almost eight years and don't remember if this topic was in the information talk.

Having a passport does you no good if it is on the ship and you are not ;) I say carry it on you. Leave copies in the safe onboard (opposite of what many suggest, yes). But keep it secured on your person.

I have had a passport since I was 18 months. My mom was from Germany and a German citizen at the time (during the cold war era) and I obviously could not travel on her passport (which would have been allowed at the time if she was a US citizen). After the first time back to Germany for the family to meet me, she became uneasy that if something would happen with she would get stuck in Germany and me in the US, when she got back home she became a US citizen.

But, because of growing up with traveling back and forth to Germany, it was instilled in me to always have a passport, when traveling. My mom said it was worth it's weight in gold "just" in case anything ever happened. We all hope nothing happens, but you just never know what life has in store for you when traveling .

I always say, travel insurance and the cost of a passport, are priceless. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

The US government doesn't mandate the requirements for what other [sovereign] countries require for entrance.

That being said, the requirement to have a passport to enter Canada and most Caribbean countries (except on closed loop cruises) is because those countries require you to carry the valid documentation to return to the home, and in the case of the USA, it requires its citizens to have a passport to re-enter the USA.

As for the person that said that Mexico has more stringent immigration rules, they are quite incorrect. More Europeans need a VISA to enter the USA, not into Mexico; and until very recently (March 2010) a Canadian did not even require a passport to fly in to Mexico, which was less than the requirement to fly to the USA.

But they sure can mandate what you need to get back into this country. And I agree with Bakincakes. They should have stuck tot heir guns. If you want to leave the country and have any intension of getting back in then have a passport to show that you belong here.

Here is what she wrote, "GET a PASSPORT!!!! " Sure sounds like a demand to me.

It sounded to me simply that it is something that Sue feels passionate about. I don't see it as anything more or less than that. How, exaclty, can any of us here on these boards demand that anyone do anything?

It sounded to me simply that it is something that Sue feels passionate about. I don't see it as anything more or less than that. How, exaclty, can any of us here on these boards demand that anyone do anything?

That is the nature of internet message boards.

For the most part, anyone can post what they wish.

Of course you never expect to need either a passport or travel insurance, but when you do, wouldn't you be glad to had it? We (mother, sister and I) always buy travel insurance and never needed it until just before our scheduled Alaska cruise in 2002. A few weeks before we were to leave, our mother ended up in the hospital and we had to cancel our cruise. Thanks to travel insurance, we got back EVERYTHING except the cost of the insurance. Without it, we would have lost thousands. You just never know...

I have read on CC that in some cases if you fail to make the departure, the crew will go to your cabin, open your safe, and if PPs are there, they will leave them with the dockmaster.

Wasn't it nice to be somewhere, where the essential health care didn't actually cost anything?

Are you serious? There is no health care system in the world that doesn't cost anything. It is a matter of whether the costs are paid up front by the consumer, paid by insurance, or covered through taxes. Just because someone consumes a service and does not have to take any money out of his/her pocket at the time hardly means that it is no cost. That type of thinking is part of the reason why tax based (socialized) medical systems have limits on what services they will and will not allow.

It reminds me of the commercials on TV for those scooters where the person proclaims that they got their scooter at no cost to them. Well, someone paid for that scooter. I especially like the one where the woman is just going around in circles in her kitchen. What a great expenditure of money:rolleyes:

Good morning all

I wanted to thank all that made kind comments and I appreciate it. I have been a member of these boards for many years and it never ceases to amaze me how an individual can come along and can take something posted to help someone and turn it into a debate not on the topic so much but the way it was said/posted/described or something that can't be conveyed on a message board like emotion and passion

That %$#& storm turned what should have been a wonderful holiday week into a nightmare for thousands, and very long sleepless week culminated with the couple missing their cruise and I posted this thread in the hopes of helping people who were debating the need for a passport and giving them an additional scenario other then the standard ones we see here on the boards to get one.

and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! and yes in this case I am demanding everyone have a happy one. lol:D

I haven't read the whole thread and I imagine that there has been some back and forth on the issue. I did read a couple of comments "the government should have stuck to it's guns" that I wanted to address. The overriding need for the passport requirements was to help keep terrorists from getting into the country. When DHS established the regulations that control identification requirements for travellers they determined that the risk of a terrorist entering the country via a closed loop cruise was low, low enough to allow an exception to the passport requirements. And if you read the CFR you will see on this issue DHS did "stick to their guns" because several commentors did not want an exception.

So now we have an exception that has the force of law that no one likes- government employees don't like it, travellers don't like it, cruise line employees don't like it. But nonetheless it is there. US citizens can travel without passports on a closed loop cruise. So each traveler has to assess their own individual risk and travel with whatever document meets their needs and their risk. For most people a passport is probably the best option, but for many others traveling without a passport is just as viable an option.

So each traveler has to assess their own individual risk and travel with whatever document meets their needs and their risk. For most people a passport is probably the best option, but for many others traveling without a passport is just as viable an option.

And that is the best summary.

Personally, I spend thousands every year on risk management that includes health insurance, life insurance, car insurance, home insurance, travel insurance, etc. A passport is $100 and something. It last 10 years for adults. It's the gold standard for ID purposes.

"GET A PASSPORT" is good advice for any U.S. citizen who plans on travelling outside the U.S.

Are you serious? There is no health care system in the world that doesn't cost anything. It is a matter of whether the costs are paid up front by the consumer, paid by insurance, or covered through taxes. Just because someone consumes a service and does not have to take any money out of his/her pocket at the time hardly means that it is no cost. That type of thinking is part of the reason why tax based (socialized) medical systems have limits on what services they will and will not allow.

It reminds me of the commercials on TV for those scooters where the person proclaims that they got their scooter at no cost to them. Well, someone paid for that scooter. I especially like the one where the woman is just going around in circles in her kitchen. What a great expenditure of money:rolleyes:

I know that my health insurance covers international treatment, but I have to pay up front and wait to be reimbursed. I'm not sure if my husbands insurance covers international treatment so many times (not all) we choose to purchase travel insurance.

Ah, the scooter commercials....you just made me laugh! :)

Oh, and, this is a perfect example of our exchange from the other day on a different thread. :D:D:rolleyes:

• Always carry a valid passport whenever you travel outside of Canada. It is the only proof of your nationality and identity that is accepted in all countries.
  • Unlike a birth certificate or driver's licence, a passport can be replaced if it is lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible on your trip.
  • A passport may be required for financial or legal transactions, such as cashing travellers' cheques.

This is from Passport Canada's website. I was wondering if the point about not being able to replace your DL or BC would also apply to US citizens. If it did, it would seem to make more sense to travel with a PP which could be replaced. Would US citizens be able to return home if their wallet was stolen with their DL or BC in it?

I would just like to know..... and don't shoot me first, WHY, when this is supposed to be a Board where people can get information, and communicate with others about Cruising, there are always people that seemed primed and ready for a fight, no matter how innocent the comment made may be. It seems that things can be turned around, in order for the respondent to be publically critical, humiliate, and try to degrade your fellow poster. My Goodness, capitals and exclamation marks...... come on, what's with that. This Board is about Vacation, not your Government.

Archived