Water for formula on board?

B_Mc

What would you experienced cruising parents recommend for mixing formula? :confused: Pre-purchasing water bottles to be delivered to our cabin? Asking the steward? Just filling bottles at the WJ?

Thanks! :)

Since your child has to be at least 6 mos. to sail, the 'sterile" aspect isn't that important! You can get water from the WJ, or your bathroom sink...it's all the same and it's fine and pure.

Really? :eek: I thought it was recommended that you don't drink the water in your cabin because of the ship's recycling system? Even if it was something I'd risk drinking, there's no way I'm going to mix up bottles with it!

I have not done this on a cruise, but I have on international trips.

First thing in the morning, ask room service for a big pot of hot water for tea. Enjoy a cup yourself, then let the rest cool.

Keep the pot in your cabin all day for clean, pre-boiled water for mixing formula.

Mom of 5 here, and it's peerfectly safe to use ship tap water - there is nothing bad in it. I've been on 3 cruises, and everything I've ever heard has been that the tap water tastes so good, and is so clean, there is no need to bring on bottles.

Really? :eek: I thought it was recommended that you don't drink the water in your cabin because of the ship's recycling system? Even if it was something I'd risk drinking, there's no way I'm going to mix up bottles with it!

The WJ has the same source of water as your in room tap.....

Alright, I'll admit it. I didn't use the ships water. ;) With the first child, I brought my own gallons of "nursery water". But this was 9 years ago and before the airlines started charging extra for baggage.

For my 2nd child, I used bottled water that I got onboard. I bought a bottled water package. And I only did it for one reason.....it was because I could take the powder already measured and not mixed with us on an excursion. And then have a sealed bottled of water tossed in our diaper bag. I left it get warm (no need to cool it). So when I needed it, I just popped it open and mixed it up.

You could also take a case of bottled water with you, just stop and get some on your way to the port. It was just an easy way for us to transport the water with us and not have to keep it mixed.

I asked the same question on these boards when I took my youngest who was still using formula. I got flamed when I mentioned the thought of not using recycled ship water. But I still didn't use the ship water. I brought tons of bottle water. I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable and if it means not using ship water, then don't use it.

I didnt use the powder, I used the concentrated formula and it was a little difficult getting someone to get me a can opener (I mean come on guys a huge ship that feeds 3,000 people countless meals a day and there is not a can opener on the entire ship). But after that little snafu, I had no problem getting one (when someone figured out what I wanted). But if you use concentrated formula bring your own can opener, it saves a lot of explaining. Plus, I had a cooler and I asked for it to be stocked with ice to keep the milk cool and it worked out.

The drinking water is not reclaimed (recycled). It is 100% potable. The ship either loads up the drinking water at port or filters it from sea water they've collected.

Archived