Why are suite perks upsetting?

MBprincess

We are just off of the Star today. NCL markets what the suite perks are including reserved seating for certain categories of suites at the shows. Almost every night we had other cruisers take exception to the idea that there were reserved seats for the suites. Even with signs and the seats roped off unless a crew member was standing there, people would not respect reserved seating. Some were quite rude wanting us to squish together or hold our children on our laps so they could squeeze in or just making rude remarks. It was the only rudeness we experience on the ship and I don't understand it?

We are just off of the Star today. NCL markets what the suite perks are including reserved seating for certain categories of suites at the shows. Almost every night we had other cruisers take exception to the idea that there were reserved seats for the suites. Even with signs and the seats roped off unless a crew member was standing there, people would not respect reserved seating. Some were quite rude wanting us to squish together or hold our children on our laps so they could squeeze in or just making rude remarks. It was the only rudeness we experience on the ship and I don't understand it?

It's very simple.

We live in an age where people believe they are entitled to everything. The fact that you paid extra for those benefits and they did not is irrelevant to the others. If they were in your shoes they would be just as confused.

Pretty much the same as chair hogs, people cutting into lines, etc. The world is full of self absorbed narcissists who have an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

You should be happy you didn't run into anyone who accidentally discovered that some passengers can eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

My favorite are the people that sit at the little buffet tables set out in the kids buffet area and glare at you that you have kids. They will not move, mind you, to let your child pass, just glare and make rude comments that children have no place on cruise ships. Those are my favorite cruise passenger.

I dont think it is just disrespect for suite guests. There are always signs of very rude or disrespectful people on a cruise.

The cruise I was on 2 weeks ago had cast of Second City having to stop and one actor go out of role because this guy would not listen and kept taking pictures.

I saw drunks get out of hand and be verbally abusive to NCL staff

I also saw a medical emergency where people were not showing respect to the family and kept taking pictures.

So it is not just suite guests. Cruises bring a large amount of people together and unfortunately there is a very bad 10%. No matter where you go, they will be there.

I think the problem stems from the fear of many that cruising is introducing classes again, i.e., first class v. second class v. steerage. It used to be that the perks enjoyed by those who paid more didn't negatively impact the rest of the passengers. You had a larger cabin; perhaps a butler; perhaps VIP embarcation, etc. But once a suite passenger left their cabin, they were no better or worse than any other passenger. Obviously times have changed.

It's like the car analogy: you may own a Mercedes and me, a Kia. However, once we hit the road, the rules are the same for both. No special roads or rules for the more expensive car. We like to think we live in an egalitarian society, and it can be a punch to the gut to find out that it isn't so cut and dried.

And then again, maybe it's just plain rudeness. :cool:

There is no excuse for rudeness, period, and I am sorry you had to endure it. But the OP asks "why are suite perks upsetting"? Here is my analysis. I don't think perks like a bigger cabin, a butler, more toiletries, etc. upset people, because these are add-ons given to you for the higher price you paid, and which don't take anything away from others.

Here is a similar example on the old S.S. Norway back when the tiny Le Bistro was the only alternative dining on that ship and they only charged $5 per person (to represent a tip). The announcement was made that reservations for Le Bistro could be made starting at 11 am the day before. Because we had an early excursion one day, we wanted to eat at Le Bistro the night before. We tried for 7 pm and were told no 7 pm reservations were available, but we could have 6 pm. We took it, and had a lovely dinner, but when we left the restaurant about 7:15 -- it was nearly empty. No one had arrived to dine at 7 pm, but we apparently had not been allowed to make it for that desirable hour IN CASE A SUITE PASSENGER MIGHT WANT IT. On our cruise the following year, we tried the same thing, got to the reservations desk promptly at 11 am on the dot with no one in front of us and were told there was NOTHING available before 9 pm. Now that kind of perk annoys me. And it is similar to special seating for suite guests in the show lounge. If they built a second fancier show lounge just for suite passengers, it wouldn't bother me. Do you see the difference?

I repeat nothing excuses rude behavior, however, and I am sorry the OP had this unpleasant experience.

Pretty much the same as chair hogs, people cutting into lines, etc. The world is full of self absorbed narcissists who have an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

You should be happy you didn't run into anyone who accidentally discovered that some passengers can eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

We had a few of those in September.......

Yes exactly but why do you think that is? I don't think it takes much away from the other guests and the seats are on the second floor. You have to walk past everything else to get to them. A HUGE thank you to Patrick for having NCL people stay there but the second they were gone we got hassled. BTW even if I wasn't sitting in the reserved seats, I wouldn't feel like I had to put my 12 year old in my lap so a late comer could have a seat.

One of the few instances of things like this that actually do annoy me is 1st class passengers getting to skip the security lines at airports. Given those lines are run by the TSA (aka The Government) I don't see why passengers who pay more for 1st class flights (or belonging to a MVP program with an airline) should get to skip the line...

The reserved seating is fine - you pay extra for it! We've had that perk but always found better seats outside of the suite passenger reserved area...

One of the few instances of things like this that actually do annoy me is 1st class passengers getting to skip the security lines at airports. Given those lines are run by the TSA (aka The Government) I don't see why passengers who pay more for 1st class flights (or belonging to a MVP program with an airline) should get to skip the line...

The reserved seating is fine - you pay extra for it! We've had that perk but always found better seats outside of the suite passenger reserved area...

Sorry, but I've never been allowed to skip the security line when flying first class, but there are airports where there is a separate line for first class and high level frequent fliers. Heck, a couple of years ago in Las Vegas they even made us go through the explosive detector machine that blows streams of air at you. All passengers have to go through TSA security.

I have never done this, been offered to do this or asked to do this. This would never have even occured to me.

Which airport?

Sorry, but I've never been allowed to skip the security line when flying first class, but there are airports where there is a separate line for first class and high level frequent fliers. Heck, a couple of years ago in Las Vegas they even made us go through the explosive detector machine that blows streams of air at you. All passengers have to go through TSA security.

You miss-interupted the comment. First Class Passengers enter at the front of the line with the crew. I enjoy this perk!

I can't wait for my breakfast at Cagney's. To me that is the greatest cruise perk. The thing I dislike the most about cruising is the mayhem in the buffet area in the morning. Total chaos.

Can someone explain why this breakfast & lunch in Cagney's is so special? We are contemplating a move to NCL next year or year after...and a suite with all the perks is what we will have...is this different than having breakfast in the main dining room (not the buffet area)?

As you can see, I've only cruised Carnival and am not at all familiar with NCL.

Can someone explain why this breakfast & lunch in Cagney's is so special? We are contemplating a move to NCL next year or year after...and a suite with all the perks is what we will have...is this different than having breakfast in the main dining room (not the buffet area)?

As you can see, I've only cruised Carnival and am not at all familiar with NCL.

Cagney's is a different (smaller) kitchen. Only suite guests can eat there at breakfast and lunch (or it can be brought to your room). The food is better.

Cagney's is a different (smaller) kitchen. Only suite guests can eat there at breakfast and lunch (or it can be brought to your room). The food is better.

I don't know that I would say that the food is necessarily better as compared to the dining room, now better than the buffet is a topic for debate. It is just that is a quieter, hassle free environment with much more personal service.

PE

Not only is the food better, there is a different menu than the MDR. If you are in a suite, Cagney's breakfast and lunch are included in your cruise fare.

You miss-interupted the comment. First Class Passengers enter at the front of the line with the crew. I enjoy this perk!

It could have changed since I last flew first class...but we were directed to a separate first class/elite frequent flier line, not brought to the front of the general line. I can't imagine doing that at a large airport like EWR, JFK or LAS...there are too many passenger who would qualify...the coach/non elite passengers would never get to go through security because of the position bumping. Maybe at smaller airports.

Archived