Alaska - Help Wanted - Definitive questions??

cdnliving

I have read many posts and sites and am now trying to narrow down our trip and hoping some experienced Alaskan cruisers can share their insights......To all of you,Thanks so much!! BTW we are a family of four - children 17 & 15, and planning on travelling in July.

1. Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard Glacier - I have read so many differing posts as to which is larger, more spectacular, active with wildlife sightings and movement - I am assuming this is perhaps related to the time of year that one goes?? Any thoughts or light shed would be most helpful and appreciated.

2. Balcony Versus Inside Cabins - We have always been partial to balcony cabins for our Caribbean vacations, and made wonderful use of them for breakfast and pre-dinner appetizers/drinks. For those of you who have done Alaska with Balcony cabins did you get good use and enjoyment out of having the balcony?

3. Any experiences as to the demographic differences on Alaskan cruises between RC, Hal and Celebrity would be appreciated. I think we have narrowed it down to these three.

Thankyou for your consideration and any light you might be able to shed on the above.

Best Regards & Happy New Year Fellow Travellers!!

Karen

I've been to Alaska the past 4 summers with my 2011 cruise booked for June 26th!:D

Have been to the Hubbard Glacier twice and Glacier Bay National Park twice. Hubbard is spectacular....a more than 6 mile wide face. The times I was there (July and August) we were able to get "close"....which is a mile away (but it "seems" closer). There was a lot of ice in the water both times...this is sometimes a problem on how close you can get. I've been to Glacier Bay in August and June. Based on my experience, I would recommend Glacier Bay for a first time cruiser. The entire experience into and out of Yakatat (spelling??) Bay to see the Hubbard is about 4 hours - the day in Glacier Bay is over 8 hours. There is a much better chance of seeing wildlife at Glacier Bay.

Balcony - I've had an inside twice and a balcony twice. Don't plan on just seeing Alaska from a balcony....you'll miss so much. You need to get out (especially for glacier viewing) and move around the ship. Get someplace for a while where you can get a 360 degree view! If money is a consideration, spend your money on excursions - they are expensive in Alaska - but you'll only get a complete experience if you get out of the towns and SEE Alaska.

Alaska cruises are all about Alaska...not the ship. I've been on HAL 3 times - there were many more children and young people on the Seattle round trip versus the southbounds from Seward to Vancouver. Don't rule out HAL - the ships are smaller and being able to get into the area at the very "nose" of the ship is fabulous!

Demographics on all the lines is similar with more middle aged and above, but all ages sailing. IF your priority is Alaska, this "issue" should not be the concern. :) Do not expect the numbers of kids to be anywhere near the numbers sailing the Caribbean.

Hubbard is NOT a wildlife loaded area. Glacier Bay, does have more potential, BUT, you also must invest in the time to search with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Plenty of people sail Glacier Bay and see "no" wildlife. They missed it completely. As an example- there will be timeframes for both areas posted. Means nothing for me, I am up and out front by a 1/2 hour prior to the posted dawn time. I AWAYS am greatly rewarded, usually by myself. :)

There is a whole LONG post on balconies, take the time to read it. Many opinions. You will be deciding for yourself.

I have read many posts and sites and am now trying to narrow down our trip and hoping some experienced Alaskan cruisers can share their insights......To all of you,Thanks so much!! BTW we are a family of four - children 17 & 15, and planning on travelling in July.

1. Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard Glacier - I have read so many differing posts as to which is larger, more spectacular, active with wildlife sightings and movement - I am assuming this is perhaps related to the time of year that one goes?? Any thoughts or light shed would be most helpful and appreciated.

2. Balcony Versus Inside Cabins - We have always been partial to balcony cabins for our Caribbean vacations, and made wonderful use of them for breakfast and pre-dinner appetizers/drinks. For those of you who have done Alaska with Balcony cabins did you get good use and enjoyment out of having the balcony?

3. Any experiences as to the demographic differences on Alaskan cruises between RC, Hal and Celebrity would be appreciated. I think we have narrowed it down to these three.

Thankyou for your consideration and any light you might be able to shed on the above.

Karen

We sailed the 14 day HAL ms Amsterdam Alaska cruise in August 2010 with our kids (16, 12) in one inside quad cabin. We thought the cabin was great, and the price was really cheap because the 3rd and 4th passengers paid no cruise fare. We used the money we saved on the cabin to spend more on land excursions. Our cruise included both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. We found that the parents had the patience to spend a lot more time on deck during transit and therefore spotted more wildlife than the teens in Glacier Bay. I think for that reason, as well as the fact that it's more active and larger, the kids much preferred Hubbard.

Both are impressive. Wildlife sightings are not likely at either. If you have a day in Seward you can take a great excursion with lots of wildlife sightings.

We have taken two 14 day cruises in Alaska (back to back 7 day cruises, starting and ending in Vancouver) and found the inside cabin just fine. The balcony means you don't need to go out of your cabin to get a view, but the best views are on deck. On the HAL ships, which I am familiar with, the Crow's Nest provides great views from inside as well. Balconies cost a whole lot more, and there must be a reason for it, but it is probably money better spent on a warm weather cruise where you can enjoy meals and lounging on the balcony. We also prefer a dark room at night, which is easier in an inside. If you leave the curtains drawn you will be letting in light well into the evening in Alaska in the summer.

Generally, HAL caters to older passengers than RCL and Celebrity, but on the Alaska trip you may not find any significant difference. You can find others writing at length on this subject, but you will notice that folks are talking about HAL in context of long cruises which take place while schools are in session. You are dealing with a shorter cruise during summer vacation, and that controls the situation you will encounter.

Karen

Enjoy your cruise

1. Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard Glacier - I have read so many differing posts as to which is larger, more spectacular, active with wildlife sightings and movement - I am assuming this is perhaps related to the time of year that one goes?? Any thoughts or light shed would be most helpful and appreciated. This is my personal experience: At Glacier Bay (July) our ship got very close to the glacier to see & hear the calving. At Hubbard (June) our ship was nowhere near the glacier due to ice/weather conditions. I was very disappointed. Yes, Hubbard is larger and spectacular but perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if my other ship hadn't gotten so close on our Glacier Bay cruise. Family members (who were not on my Glacier Bay sailing) thought Hubbard was really cool (they didn't know what they were missing with the calving).

2. Balcony Versus Inside Cabins - We have always been partial to balcony cabins for our Caribbean vacations, and made wonderful use of them for breakfast and pre-dinner appetizers/drinks. For those of you who have done Alaska with Balcony cabins did you get good use and enjoyment out of having the balcony? Had a balcony on 1st AK cruise - loved to take pics from there but it was really cold. We tried to sit out there while the ship was sailing-dressed in our warmest clothes and wrapped up in wool blankets but could only handle it for 5-10 min. But I especially appreciated the balcony because my mom was ill for 1 day and I didn't want to leave her alone so I was able to enjoy the scenery from our room. Had an oceanview on 2nd AK cruise and that was fine. I personally don't think I could be in an inside stateroom for AK; I prefer to at least a picture window to not miss any scenery.

Best wishes for a fun cruise!

Thank you all for the excellent responses and sharing your personal experiences with us. It sounds rather varied as to what one sees at the glaciers , depending on the weather at the time of sailing. I sure hope we will be able to see calving! Would love to continue hearing about other's experiences. Thanks again....

Thank you all for the excellent responses and sharing your personal experiences with us. It sounds rather varied as to what one sees at the glaciers , depending on the weather at the time of sailing. I sure hope we will be able to see calving! Would love to continue hearing about other's experiences. Thanks again....

I saw Hubbard Glacier by cruise ship (Celebrity Millennium September 2009) and it was absolutely spectacular! I took about a hundred photos that morning and the whole experience was beautiful.

Hubbard Glacier calving:

Wish you could sense the scale of the HUGE chunk of ice calving from the glacier...no way to put that in perspective until you see it yourself. It was unbelievable watching the glacier, and the hours we were there literally flew by.

Though I haven't been to Glacier Bay, I also saw Aialik Glacier in Kenai Fjords (Major Marine September 2010), where there was calving activity, but none as frequent or extreme as Hubbard. However, there was a lot more wildlife activity, plus varied glacier views as we traveled through the Kenai area. I'm not trying to say this is what you'll experience at Glacier Bay (they are totally separate parks hundreds of miles apart!), just trying to say that even though every glacier experience will be different, you'll enjoy the view no matter which one you pick.

Glacier Bay is on my bucket list for my next cruise to Alaska, for yet another glacier viewing day...not sure when it'll happen, but definitely on my list for someday. That way I can help other cruisers make comparisons ;)

Enjoy your cruise...Alaska is a beautiful state and no matter which cruise you choose, you will have a magical vacation.

I also have not been to Glacier Bay, but went to Hubbard ( On RCL Radiance- BEAUTIFUL SHIP- Lots of glass- and the cahmpagne bar had windows that stretch out over the sea- dont even need to order drinks- NEVER crowded). I can't even begint to express the beauty of Hubbard bay. We sat in front of the glacier (MUCH closer thatn a mile) for about 1 hour on each side of the ship. Youcoudl hear THUNDEROUS sounds, and feel the ship move when theice hit the water. It was a rainy day, but that made the calving even better!

I am sure you really can never go wrong with either place! ITs Alaska!

If price is a consideration check into HAL. I have seen a promotion on one of the on-line travel sites where the third and fourth passengers sail free.

We decided on the HAL Zuiderdam because it goes to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fiord. Also, their balcony prices (we love our balconies) were more affordable than some other ships. We also chose a round-trip out of Vancouver because there is less chance of rough seas, and more scenery on the first and last sea day.

Have a great trip.

We hit both Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

As mentioned, more wildlife on Glacier Bay, great whale sightings, bears eating the dead whale, sea lions/seals (always forget which), otters, swirling birds. It was also more beautiful in a scenery way to me. More quiet and serene on our day, no calving to speak off, but the quiet groans and creaks were spellbinding.

Hubbard for me was an active, crashing, noisy show on our day. We got up close and you didn't know where to watch. My neck muscles were stiff from scanning back and forth across the face the entire time.

We were disappointed when we tried to book a balcony on HAL but couldn't if we weren't doing a cruisetour. (one way not RT, of course)

• 1 month later...

Thankyou all for sharing your wonderful experiences...and they were all that - wonderful! As a result, I am assured that any cruise we take to Alaska will be fabulous. In the end we picked the Radiance of the Seas, Northbound and will visit the Hubbard Glacier. Glacier Bay is certainly on our bucket list. We are SO excited, and even moreso by the expriences you have all shared with us. Thank you all so much & Happy Travels to you all! We will most certainly post our review on our return, which sadly enough is a half a year away....Good things come to those who wait!!

Archived