Just got off Radiance this morning

You were there, so you know this for sure?? Im always amazed when people start judging and taking sides how they know the RCL is blameless.

Running out of lobster?? How could this have happened?? cabin flooded, closing down the food early etc .. sounds to me like a few things the OP might have found fault with.

Im not saying its RCL's fault the OP got sick .. but how it was handled, who knows if it could have been handled better or not .. we were not there.

Excuse me but I didn't ask for an obnoxious attitude, so please don't give me one, thanks. :)

So I'll reword myself. From what the OP described in their original post, what they did was right.

Running out of lobster- seafood could have been contaminated. They are trying to prevent this spread of virus from becoming any worse with what resources they have.. at sea.

People need to realize that safety trumps customer service.

Apparantly we were told that 50 guests went on an excursion in Costa Maya and brought it back on board. They DID NOT seek medical attention right away so it spread pretty quickly. THe dr told me she had seen 100 people and expected it to reach 75% of the ship before done. I was quaranteened to my room for over 24 hours. I missed Cozumel all together. They regulated what ever you ate too. They told me to order room service and when I went to order milk for my tea they refused me. BTW-I used hand sanitizer constantly and did not touch any rails with my hands and I wont use the public bathrooms either. Six people in our group got it. One was my daugher's boyfriends grandmother. She was so sick, she spent almost the entire cruise in her room. She had to be given Iv's 2x's, antibiotics and other meds. They also segregated the sick people from debarking with everyone else. They had to stay in their rooms till everyone was released, They released me earlier into the well group. The last night of my cruise, the room across from me had a water pipe broke. Their room was flooded and they had to move them. I went back to my room after late dinner-and my room was flooded to. They did nothing for us. YOu couldn't get any sleep bc they were working on the leak all night. Also, the last nite was lobster nite and they ran out. When my husband asked for a steak bc he was still hungry-they told him they were sorry the kitchen was closing early bc they had to sanitize the dininning room and told him to order room service for a sandwich. They took all the salt, butter and creamers off the tables in the dining room. They put paper packets of salt n pepper on the talbe. If you wanted butter, they would serve you a piece. They did not let you handle a menu. The waiters held them out and read them to you. In the windjammer, they served you-which I something I liked bc I never ate there bc I dont like everyone touching my food. I did receive a letter of apology from Royal saying they were going to give me future cruise credit but I think the wording was something to the effect you would be credited for the amount of time you were isolated. Im going to calm down and get some rest and then sit down and write Royal a letter.

I hope you calm down real well, because they did what had to be done and what any other cruise line would do. I've been on two NCL cruises where the norovirus hit with a vengeance, and they did the same.

Some things cannot be blamed on anyone - it is what it is. But I am sorry it ruined your cruise. That's definitely a bummer.

Kathy

Visits to the doctor for a gastrointestinal illness are free. They state this in the cruise compass because they want to get control over this problem right away rather than having people not confess to it because they don't want a bill.

Any other physical problems that you are seen for - the bill will be much higher than a land based doctor.

Gina

DW needed some help this past summer (not GI) they wanted $100 just to see the doctor, and that didn't include the cost of any medicine he might prescribe.:mad: And they don't take insurance. :( She toughed it out 'till we got home, because she is awesome. :D

Visits to the doctor for a gastrointestinal illness are free. They state this in the cruise compass because they want to get control over this problem right away rather than having people not confess to it because they don't want a bill.

Any other physical problems that you are seen for - the bill will be much higher than a land based doctor.

Gina

I'm not so sure about this. My son broke his wrist on our cruise 2 years ago (granted it was Carnival). They did x-rays. Set his wrist and casted him. Believe it or not we ran into our orthopedic surgeon who was vacationing on the ship. He looked at the x-rays and said they did a great job. NO BILL AT ALL. John Heald was on board observing a new CD and when we told him what happened, he sent two ships on a stick and a signed picture of the Valor. Pretty nice.

Okay, i have mixed feelings about what the original poster had to say. First, I don't think it is okay under any circumstances that your room gets flooded and you're just supposed to live with it and the ship treats it as an "oh well, things happen." I realize this is a "common radiance problem" but that's really just not an acceptable excuse to me. Now, As for the quarantine, I have heard many people complain about this and actually read that many people didn't go to the dr. because they didn't want to be quarantined. Well excuse the hell out of me, I guess I should get sick so you dont miss a day at the pool? I understand it's horrible to be sick on your cruise and miss all the fun, but it's just plain selfish to risk getting many others sick. (side note: Why would you want to go to the beach/pool etc. when youre deathly ill? If I were sick I'd sure as hell want to be quarantined to my bed/bathroom)

Now, the only part of this situation that I thought RC handled terribly was that we were all put together side by side like sardines while waiting for disembarkation, while theres a terrible virus going around. However, I recall someone just saying that the sick people were kept seperately. If that is the case, than I give RC a little more credit, but someone did run out of our waiting room to vomit so i don't know...

Well after a long nap-im calm now. I wasnt ragging on Royal. I will cruise with them again in the future. I was complaining about not having enough food to accommodate the guests at dinner and my flooded room.I have always felt that Royal crew members give the best service. Our room attendant went above and beyond her duty. She sanitized our room so well, it smelled like bleach. All the crew members went out of their way to help. In fact, we tipped everyone above and beyond their customary tips. My husband and I were with each other most of the time. We did not travel with a group. A friend of ours organized a group. We ate dinner with them. So as one poster says-I probably caught it from one of the group. Only one person I knew had it when I got it. And she was 5 floors away. At any rate, all that matters is the medical care was quick, compassionite and helpful. As far as saying they refused me milk for my tea, I simply meant-they monitored what you ate for your own good. When I was released-I actually put my self on the brat diet so see if I could hold down my food. It wasnt part of my vacation plan to miss Cozumel and I felt horrible for my husband because he refused to get off the boat without me. Me-I slept for 24 hours and then I was fine. The problem most people had was everybody was dropping like flies and your got so paranoid-you were afraid to be with people for fear you would get if you didnt have it. Who knew how many people were stupid enough to not seek medical care for fear of being quaranteened.On another note-I might add I had a fantastic dinner at chops the nite before. So would definitely recommend it. The bottom line is when Im ready to cruise again-it will be on Royal because I still think they are the best.:p

Well after a long nap-im calm now. I wasnt ragging on Royal. I will cruise with them again in the future. I was complaining about not having enough food to accommodate the guests at dinner and my flooded room.I have always felt that Royal crew members give the best service. Our room attendant went above and beyond her duty. She sanitized our room so well, it smelled like bleach. All the crew members went out of their way to help. In fact, we tipped everyone above and beyond their customary tips. My husband and I were with each other most of the time. We did not travel with a group. A friend of ours organized a group. We ate dinner with them. So as one poster says-I probably caught it from one of the group. Only one person I knew had it when I got it. And she was 5 floors away. At any rate, all that matters is the medical care was quick, compassionite and helpful. As far as saying they refused me milk for my tea, I simply meant-they monitored what you ate for your own good. When I was released-I actually put my self on the brat diet so see if I could hold down my food. It wasnt part of my vacation plan to miss Cozumel and I felt horrible for my husband because he refused to get off the boat without me. Me-I slept for 24 hours and then I was fine. The problem most people had was everybody was dropping like flies and your got so paranoid-you were afraid to be with people for fear you would get if you didnt have it. Who knew how many people were stupid enough to not seek medical care for fear of being quaranteened.On another note-I might add I had a fantastic dinner at chops the nite before. So would definitely recommend it. The bottom line is when Im ready to cruise again-it will be on Royal because I still think they are the best.:p

I am sorry to hear that you got sick... I hope your next vacation has great weather, drinks and food. Would you mind telling me what room you were in for flooding (traveling on the radiance in 3 weeks).

I have worked on ships that had Noro and I have personally had Noro. Let me tell you: they did EXACTLY the right thing. The more people touch shared items, the more Noro spreads. By taking away these items, they reduce the spread. It sucks getting sick on vacation but the crew did it right and hopefully it will not continue. I wouldn't wish Noro on my worst enemy.

I'm not so sure about this. My son broke his wrist on our cruise 2 years ago (granted it was Carnival). They did x-rays. Set his wrist and casted him. Believe it or not we ran into our orthopedic surgeon who was vacationing on the ship. He looked at the x-rays and said they did a great job. NO BILL AT ALL. John Heald was on board observing a new CD and when we told him what happened, he sent two ships on a stick and a signed picture of the Valor. Pretty nice.

It depends on why he broke his wrist. If he broke it on the ship slipping on water, tripping over something left out, they won't bill him. We knew someone who fell where kids had been dripping water running in and out of Adventure Ocean. She was just walking to the Seaview Cafe and slipped in the water, split her head open and got stitches from the ship's doctor. Of course she wasn't billed either.

Have a heart attack in your room? Expect a bill. Go to the doctor for a runny nose and sore throat? You'll be billed.

Gina

What I don't understand is why people would be afraid to go to the doctor..My son has been to the ship doctors at least 3 times, they have been wonderful....We were on a B2B last January on Oasis and my son had some kind of virus(it was the last day of the cruise), we went to the medical center, they gave him pills, sent him to his room...(when you are that sick you don't want to leave your room anyway).....when you are stuck in your room you get to watch movies for free and all the water is free....

when you are stuck in your room you get to watch movies for free and all the water is free....

Oh great free movies and Water,

I also heard you get to eat out of the Mini bar for free too.

I wonder why more people do not get " sick " the last day???

:rolleyes:

Oh great free movies and Water,

I also heard you get to eat out of the Mini bar for free too.

I wonder why more people do not get " sick " the last day???

:rolleyes:

This is what I was thinking. It sounds like fun. Can I tell them I'm sick but I don't want to go to the doctor because of the bill? I have a bad cough and I don't want to cough on everyone. :D

Gina

You were there, so you know this for sure?? Im always amazed when people start judging and taking sides how they know the RCL is blameless.

Running out of lobster?? How could this have happened?? cabin flooded, closing down the food early etc .. sounds to me like a few things the OP might have found fault with.

Im not saying its RCL's fault the OP got sick .. but how it was handled, who knows if it could have been handled better or not .. we were not there.

How did they run out of lobster? Folks before this guest ate too many, there was a supply shortage, there was a contamination issue...it happens. They are not magic.

Cabin flooded? Again, it sounds like there was an issue onboard. Unfortunately, moving this guest may not have been an option as it would increase the risk of spreading the virus.

Closing down the galley was a precautionary measure to stop the spread of the virus.

Again. RCI did the right thing in these three instances and by quarantining ill guests. Unless and until you have dealt with trying to control Noro outbreaks, you have no idea the sort of decisions a ship must make.

DW needed some help this past summer (not GI) they wanted $100 just to see the doctor, and that didn't include the cost of any medicine he might prescribe.:mad: And they don't take insurance. :( She toughed it out 'till we got home, because she is awesome. :D

That is one very good reason to have travel insurance. You still have to pay your medical bill up front (it will be on your SeaPass), but if your own medical insurance won't reimburse you, travel insurance will.

What I don't understand is why people would be afraid to go to the doctor..My son has been to the ship doctors at least 3 times, they have been wonderful....We were on a B2B last January on Oasis and my son had some kind of virus(it was the last day of the cruise), we went to the medical center, they gave him pills, sent him to his room...(when you are that sick you don't want to leave your room anyway).....when you are stuck in your room you get to watch movies for free and all the water is free....

They don't want to be quarantined. It's not a fear of doctors! :rolleyes:

Some cheerleaders make it sound like RCI did/does all they can to protect the food. But I have seen and photographed dozens of times when Vessel Sanitation Programs for sneeze guards are not followed. It really pixxes me off when I see the failure to follow these guidelines. I get even madder when their response was their last CDC inspection score was perfect.

Look back at any of your photos that might show food displays early in the cruise. Here are three photos from examples on different ships. Where are the sneeze guards?

1) Who knows how old those pictures are?

2) One of those three pictures isn't even from a Royal Caribbean ship.

1) Who knows how old those pictures are?

2) One of those three pictures isn't even from a Royal Caribbean ship.

You know what, you are right in this one respect, one is the Eclipse, but still an RCI ship.

eclipse.png

Here is from the Indy almost identical conditions

independence2.jpg

They were all taken in the last year. Different ships, different times of the year, similar conditions.

There are many more where these came from. I picked out some of the clearest ones, without pictures of any people picking through the food, or standing over it eating.

But they too exist (Serenade)

serenade2.jpg

How did they run out of lobster? Folks before this guest ate too many, there was a supply shortage, there was a contamination issue...it happens. They are not magic.

Cabin flooded? Again, it sounds like there was an issue onboard. Unfortunately, moving this guest may not have been an option as it would increase the risk of spreading the virus.

Closing down the galley was a precautionary measure to stop the spread of the virus.

Again. RCI did the right thing in these three instances and by quarantining ill guests. Unless and until you have dealt with trying to control Noro outbreaks, you have no idea the sort of decisions a ship must make.

In my book if RCL runs out of lobster, even with a bunch of sick people who cant get to the dining room, its poor planning and not doing the right thing.

Glad I always pick early dining. I want my lobster.

I dont get how running out of lobster is the right thing to do.

Very nice follow-up post.

By the way, the first time DH and I experienced noro (on NCL), there was no compensation. (Not that I think the cruise line owes any - just saying.) The second time, everyone got $100 a day OBC. Guess NCL was learning how to make sick folks happy.:)

Kathy

OP I know if this had happened to me, I would be upset too. Write .. dont let the cheerleaders sway you. Flooded cabin, getting sick, no lobster, shut down the dining room .. I think a lot of legitimate complaints, even if getting sick wasnt their fault .. I would not want to be quanitined, and who knows if RCL could or could not have stopped the spread.. the other things are under RCL's control.. I know they have compensated others whose cabins got flooded.

Well said. Sorry if you guys own stock in RCCL but she has a valid complaint, esp. with the room flooding (What does leaking ?dirty water throughout a floor do to infection control? Quarantine that!) And Radiance has been plagued with plumbing issues. I sailed 6/09 and have seen multiple posts. Now put down the pom poms and listen to her-sheesh. I had my JS Radiance room flooded 2 diff. nights and if it hasn't happened to you-just be grateful. That alone (wet clothes and no sleep) can spoil a trip. You won't get so much as an apology from RCCL either...at least we didn't. I'm only returning to RCCL out of respect for my parents. My dollars are on the open market. I am loyal to my vacation. Just wait until it happens to you.

Former RCCL Cheerleader Myself,

Karen

In my book if RCL runs out of lobster, even with a bunch of sick people who cant get to the dining room, its poor planning and not doing the right thing.

Glad I always pick early dining. I want my lobster.

I dont get how running out of lobster is the right thing to do.

It's very possible they didn't actually run out. When 150+ people come down with noro, it usually includes a handful of crew, most likely those exposed to the passengers. It could be that one or more members of kitchen staff were sick and there was a possibility the lobster was contaminated. We all know that when you ask a challenging question of a crew member whose second language is English, you don't always get an answer that is exactly right. Just because a waiter said they were out of lobster doesn't necessarily mean they were actually out.

All cruise lines base their orders on historical consumption. If they actually did run out, it could only be due to overindulgence at the earlier seatings.

Archived