RCI not allowing passengers to bring wine onboard?

wwinfl91

Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?  

847 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RCI should allow passengers to bring their own wine with them?

• Yes Passengers should be allowed to bring their own wine with them
    • NO RCI not allow passengers to bring wine onboard.90
    • To tell the truth I don't really care.

I wonder how many of the folks who say, "They don't serve the wine that we prefer, so we bring our own.", would suddenly aquire new tastes if RCL decided, on a lark, to give away wine? :D

I would not want their 'free' wine, still willing to buy, carry, and pay for corkage, to have what I want on my hard earned vacation.

What a surprise that 80% of respondents think RCI should allow people to bring on their own wine!

Count me along with the crowd who couldn't care less, but I sure do enjoy reading some of the justifications people have for violating company rules.

I wonder how many of the folks who say, "They don't serve the wine that we prefer, so we bring our own.", would suddenly aquire new tastes if RCL decided, on a lark, to give away wine? :D

I would still bring my own wines. When wine is free is it mostly pretty bad stuff. A meal with a good wine is so much better than a meal with bad wine.

What a surprise that 80% of respondents think RCI should allow people to bring on their own wine!

Count me along with the crowd who couldn't care less, but I sure do enjoy reading some of the justifications people have for violating company rules.

We'd still bring our own. Hubby has rather expensive, discriminating tastes and he would rather pay for quality than drink garbage.

Not so. RCCL has said on the phone and on their site that passengers can bring on wine that is not on their wine list!! That is not violating a rule! That is following their rule! Personally, I prefer to NOT be gouged whenever possible and since I don't like the wines they have on the list I am bringing my own. We will be bringing 1 bottle for each dinner and 2 bottles of champagne--none are on the RCCL list.

Also, I drink sparkling mineral water. Not Perrier. I drink about 3 liters per day. I can buy 1.25 liters for 85 cents. Why should I pay $1.25 per 8 oz.?

I take one case of water for each week. When I run out I buy from the bar. That becomes awkward because they are small, I buy many and they are glass which makes them very heavy.

PS: I drink a mineral water that is not available in other parts of the country.

I have read above and am wondering what people do for longer cruises. My BF and I can easily drink a bottle between us at one dinner and would like to bring our own wine on board. However, we are from Michigan and are flying to Hawaii (where we are visiting for 5 days before we board) and then getting on a 10 day cruise. If we took a bottle for each night and something for sail away, we're at a case. How can you carry a case on? If you check it what would happen to it? Also, I guess that's one more piece of luggage we can't check then....

has anyone experienced this before? Or do you just cut back your drinking or switch to the ship's wine at some point? That just seems to be a lot to carry around, although given that we are avid wine folks, I don't like the idea of drinking the ship's wine.....

Thanks!

WBC

Even my 18-year-old daughter could tell WITH ONE SIP the difference between what I carried on and the expensive/overpriced/yet cheap swill they sold me from their wine list.

It's the quality, stupid. (just paraphrasing the saying, NOT attacking anyone in particular)

Carol

Free wines....yeah...right. :rolleyes:

All you can drink boxed White Zinfandel...yum..yum!! Gagg. :eek:

No thanks :(

I prefer fine wine along with my sit down dinner. I am not going on the ship to eat at McDonalds. Oh, and by the way yes, in other countries you can get wine with your big mac and fries.

I don't even drink the low end stuff they offer on the ship at home with my Pizza.

There are 3 of us going on this cruise. Three carry ons, 3 bottles in each separate one. Six nights I am happy to be charged corkage.

That still leaves plenty of money for the ship to make on us for drinks during the day at the lounges.

"Life is too short to drink cheap wine"!!

Cheers!

Hey Island Lady!! Since you'e the wine expert........what do you think about these new higher priced boxed wines??? Some of the wine mags say they are actually good...........have you come across any??Kathy

Hey PH8, the greatests of the Parrotheads I still insist. Have fun on cruise number 500 or so. :D :p ;) Let me know about the boxed wines I have yet to try one, just because I like to change wines regularly. Today an Amarone, tommorrow a nice Zin, next day a nice Pinot Noir, then a Cab, then a Chianti, then a Barrolo.... never know what I am going to be in the mood for today. Next weekend is our annual float trip and major cooking fest on the Mulberry River, A good Box would certainly make things easier, shoot we could even drink it while floating. Of course, the Mulberry isn't really a sedate stream, perhaps, we should forego the boxed wine while on the river! :D

jc

I carried wine aboard Serenade both in San Juan and in St. Maarten where i was able to pick up two bottle of great French wine that was way overpriced on the ship.

No problems, paid the corkage fee two nights of seven and drank great wine!

If they gave away free wine I still wouldn't drink it either, it's like going to a wedding or banquet and they serve the cheap merlot or cab, no thank you I'll have a beer instead even though I love wine. Yes there is a difference between an overpriced bottle of White Zinfindel and a $75.00+ bottle of Cab. By the way White Zinfandel is not really a wine but a processed wine (jug) that happens after making a red wine from the Zinfandel Grape. I would rather bring my own.

I just finished reading this entire thread, and I must say that it is quite a relief to hear the booze/soda policy isn't enforced! I figure I'll try to bring aboard a box of wine, a bottle of rum, and a 12pk of Coke, all in seperate bags. If even one of those things makes it under the radar, I'll be happy. :)

I find it interesting that the policy is hardly enforced when first boarding, but if you try to bring back booze bought in a port of call, they're more strict. I guess during the boading process the crew is under pressure to get everyone processed as quickly as possible, so the alcohol policy is practically ignored? I know I would be pretty cranky if the boarding process took twice as long because the agents had to search for and confiscate all alcohol....

Hey PH8, the greatests of the Parrotheads I still insist. Have fun on cruise number 500 or so. :D :p ;) Let me know about the boxed wines

Hiya JC!! Didnt wind up with the box wine.........I wanted pinot grigio and the liquor store on the side of town I work didnt have any...........I had seen it on the other side of town..we had wicked rainy weather all day so didnt feel like driving over there................have to try it another time........

Your trip next week sounds like a lot of fun.....

Hey Island Lady!! Since you'e the wine expert........what do you think about these new higher priced boxed wines??? Some of the wine mags say they are actually good...........have you come across any??Kathy

I have seen them in a few stores. Black Box seems to be the popular one lately, but I am afraid I have not tried it.

I am still having a tough enough time getting used to the new screw cap wines. And just because it has a screw cap now-a-days does not mean it is a cheap wine anymore. Some very expensive "cult wines" especially New Zealand and Australia are going to them. Lots of pros and cons on both sides.

Cheers!

Island Lay and JC--

Decided that the saved bottle will be uncorked on Mother's Day to celebrate all good things...particularly the achievement today of #1 DD to land her coveted post graduation real job in the fashion industry with Tommy Bahama in NYC pre-graduation!

Graduation is the 26th, and on today's good news we just ain't gonna wait until then. Besides I have a bottle of '93 Dom that we can open for graduation, no matter what that tastes like we can spit it out of we don't like it, it's great for special ocassions.

Cheers! :)

Island Lay and JC--

Decided that the saved bottle will be uncorked on Mother's Day to celebrate all good things...particularly the achievement today of #1 DD to land her coveted post graduation real job in the fashion industry with Tommy Bahama in NYC pre-graduation!

Graduation is the 26th, and on today's good news we just ain't gonna wait until then. Besides I have a bottle of '93 Dom that we can open for graduation, no matter what that tastes like we can spit it out of we don't like it, it's great for special ocassions.

Congratulations, FC!!!!!!:)

I love Tommy Bahama!!! So, have her remember me when she wants to get rid of some samples!!! :D

I am thinking that the wine you will be guzzling, err quaffing will be the Grigh Hills Chardonnay or the Schramsburg Cremant? Both sound delightful.

jc

We are going to open the Cremant. :)

I remember you don't like cold, but chill it for a little bit and get it to less than 60 degrees, it will warm up from there. Cool but not cold will work great. I hope you like it. I really do! May have to take some with us this afternoon when we go to the big city for some baseball games this weekend.

jc

Island Lay and JC--

Yeah!!! Congrats to DD!! :D and of course yourself for being the fantastic Momma!! Sounds like DD is on the road to success!! Two huge pats on the back for both of you!

Enjoy your "uncorking" party!! :D

I am assembling my collection of "smuggled to be" prize selections for my upcoming cruise. Most of them are from small elite growers that are allocated for purchase anywhere. Quite an extreme left of what is offered on the ship, or anywhere else for that matter!

Cheers!

Today I received an email from RC to participate in a web survey which was very similar to the comment card but a little more detailed. I am guessing they got my email address from the one requested on the comment card.

In the comments section which encouraged defining what I needed form them for a better cruise atmosphere, I urged the cruisline to upgrade/complement their bottled wine selections to more quality/finer selections.

jc , I will chill this to a cooler temp than the Chardonnay for sure. ;) IL, Thanks for the pats on the back. She did it all....I just pushed her really, really hard so she would get there...:o

Archived